What motivates you? Increases willpower?

Options
I went to bed one night and decided that now was the time. The time to get healthier, lose weight, gain energy and flexibility to move and groove with my kids, and to be able to act my age again instead of like my grandmother (I'm 34)! I woke up that next morning and it was on! It's been wild, 16 days in and not a single craving or bend in my resolve. I KNOW this is because it's fresh and exciting, so my question to you all is this: What gets you motivated to keep on keeping on, when you don't feel like it anymore? What's your motivation, what gives you a little bit more willpower when you feel yourself wane? Mantras welcome! Thank you!

Replies

• srujana_kanneganti
    srujana_kanneganti Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    --Small successes-- like 1 lb of loss, or a increase in strength (adding weight plates to the barbell!)
    -- imagining my confidence levels once I reach my goal, being able to wear what I want with confidence
    -- feeling healthier
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I want to be healthy. As I lose, I like looking better, for sure (!), but health is where it begins and ends for me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Seeing the losses serves as a motivator as you go forward.

I also found it helpful to set specific goals to work toward, things I could control more than the scale. Like this week I will workout 5 times for at least 30 minutes each, or this week I will have vegetables with all meals.

I had a lot to lose, so I set a bunch of mini goals too--down 20, no longer obese, no longer overweight, stuff like that. And a lot of mine were exercise related since getting back in shape was a huge part of my motivation--run a 5K and then a 10K, run a half marathon, bike 30 miles.

Motivation is easier if it's not all on your own too--and I say this despite not telling anyone offline I was trying to lose weight until I was well into it. I had forgotten this until I stumbled on MFP, and I think the community here kept me interested through some tougher times. Having people offline who are into the things you are doing can help too, although it's not always possible. I didn't want to talk about weight loss, so for me this meant getting involved with some running groups and the like, although I didn't do this until I was well along the way and thinking about maintenance, since I think it will help cement the changes as part of my overall lifestyle going forward.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,138 Member
    Options
    I created a Blog post about this topic BUT ... I don't know how to make that post public.

For those of you who have been around a while, is there a way to make one blog post public, but not all of them?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Remember what yousaid:
    "The time to get healthier, lose weight, gain energy and flexibility to move and groove with my kids, and to be able to act my age again instead of like my grandmother (I'm 34)! "

If you're not moving ahead, you're going back to where you were. For me, I don't ever want to feel that way--physically or mentally--again. That is what has kept me going for 13 months, 94 pounds, and 50 inches, and I'm not done yet. You can do it too. Discipline=commitment+consistency.

• beccajean1986
    beccajean1986 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    --Small successes-- like 1 lb of loss, or a increase in strength (adding weight plates to the barbell!)
    -- imagining my confidence levels once I reach my goal, being able to wear what I want with confidence
    -- feeling healthier
    That's almost exactly how I motivate myself :) all the insecurities I've felt for so long, I'll finally be able to overcome them. I'll be a happier, more energetic and fun mommy, wife and friend. All of that, is WELL worth the sacrifices and hard work
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    To be clear, if not crass, I enjoy the company of attractive women.

No matter what women tell you, LOOKS MATTER.
  • Centipede007
    Centipede007 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Losses in pounds motivate me personally but I am also motivated by my improvement in my favourite sports. There's also a hint of pride about being able to wear things that I feel uncomfortable wearing right now. :)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm participating in a group challenge here on MFP. One motivator is wanting to post that I've lost weight every week. Another is that I make small, weekly goals. For instance, this week it's to stay strictly within my calorie limit for the week. When I waver, I tell myself I only have to be strict for this one week, then I can go 50 or 100 calories over one day next week if I'm really hungry or craving. A week is nothing. This goal makes me really be careful with my intake and logging. I've now recommitted to doing this for another week. Once I commit, I don't want to let myself down. Sticking with it and reaching my goal is so rewarding.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    The scales. They didn't motivate me for a very long time. Then one day I was 169.8 and I went nuts. My ideal weight is between 105-110. Now the scales motivate me very well. Not to mention MFP.
  • jjburger77
    jjburger77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm not a parent, but I would imagine one of your motivations would be your children. I've heard many parents say that they want to get healthy so their children have a good mentor and so they can see their children grow up.

You will find that when your clothing fits a little better and what you see on the scales going in the direction you want will keep your focus intact. It can be frustrating at the beginning, but eventually, all of what you have been doing pays off! I've been on my journey since February 1, 2013, and I know that this is something that I will do for the rest of my life...it's a journey after all. :smile:

Keep up the great work, SunnyDayzMomma!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm much more mindful of wanting to take care of my body, so it can get me through to old age in a more or less happy and functional state, definitely. That's really shot up in importance just this year, as the number of issues that are starting to rear their heads is ticking up. I want to take a more proactive role in my health overall, because I know from experience how gappy medical help can be for some things.

Mostly, though, still, vanity. Right now, I'm losing a bit of weight regained after a significant loss, because I know how good it is to feel completely unselfconscious and free, and, honestly, to wear whatever the hell you want and look good without even thinking about "dressing for your shape" or whatever. I want no restrictions on clothes :)

When I lost that weight, I didn't use mantras for motivation. I was really excited to learn all this new stuff (I geeked out for about a year). For the first month of adjustment, I used the rule "must do something for 30 minutes every day". After that, I could feel direct and immediate benefits from the exercise I did, so that was rewarding enough. Food-wise, my choices prevented me from ever really getting into a state where I had to worry about eating too much. Aha oh yes, I'd also just broken up with my ex, so there's that, lol.

I'm glad you're in the right headspace for a major life change! You can do this :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,138 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I created a Blog post about this topic BUT ... I don't know how to make that post public.

For those of you who have been around a while, is there a way to make one blog post public, but not all of them?

OK, here it is ...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Machka9/view/motivation-755773

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Success and progress pictures like my av

Motivation fades,what you need to develop is commitment even when you don't wanna
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    To be clear, if not crass, I enjoy the company of attractive women. No matter what women tell you, LOOKS MATTER.

It's true- but what people in general like may suprise you. My husband is 10 years older than me, grey all over, extreamly hairy back, bald, short and sometimes has a bit of a belly. I think he's the sexiest man alive! (I really do)
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Working on a jump at the rink and knowing that the technique on it's own is getting me close - imagine how much better, higher, longer, and more rotated the jump would be if the as$ you were hauling into the air wasn't so fat!
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    The little steps! Asking myself if I love myself enough to workout and eat right each day
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I am very motivated by wanting to avoid failure. No food is good enough to justify failing. Skipping a workout would feel worse for longer than any short term "benefit" from skipping it, so I don't.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Having goals works for me. I've reached all but one, getting to 140# which is not going to happen, but after doing this for over 3 years, it's habit. Realizing one meal/night of overeating isn't going to pile the weight back on.
    q6cmxrdobbca.jpg
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Progress and in a funny way lack of progress becayse that just makes me more determined. The killer is boredom, so I practice avoidingt hat and maintaining focus.