Harder than I thought.

deohn1
deohn1 Posts: 8 Member
What's up everybody. I've been back and forth with trying to get this weight under control. I lost 54.5 pounds in 3 months, then I fell off for a month and started gaining it back. I didn't think it would be this hard to keep motivated. I could use all the help I can get to stay accountable.

Replies

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    All you have to do is recognise that you can never rest on your laurels with this weight thing. You have to change the way you eat for life and you have to monitor it if you don't want to regain. Its really tiresome doing permanent monitoring so you need to find easier ways to monitor yourself.

One thing i do is keep a food diary in conjunction with daily weighing but not a calorie counting diary. This is easier to lose weight but and its easier to use in maintenance also.

A little while after reaching maintenance you can probably go to weighing weekly.

Even the food diary will get tiring so its going to be an ongoing up and down thing. You just have to be ready and willing to pull yourself back into line before things get really out of hand.

I started my journey beginning 2014. I'm still inside my upper healhty weight range. I've been up and down since nearly reaching goal (only out by under 1 pound) a few times. I know this is going to be the case forever so its important to set up good systems to keep yourself slim.

Also realise that 3 months is about the limit of strict calorie cutting. I'd suggest you give yourself a year and go about in a comfortable fashion. Not too slow but whatever is comfortalbe ie avoid hunger.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Hi
    That was a rapid weight loss. You are far more likely to regain weight if you do it quickly.

Set your weight loss goal for 1lb a week, make it a life long change not a race. Buy a digital scale and weigh everything you eat, only eat back half of your exercise calories. You will be able to eat more then and will be able to stick to it.

If you "fail" one day just get started again the next day, just never go backwards. Good luck :)

• naptural1
    naptural1 Posts: 15 Member
    Ahhh! I know the feeling also. I was struggling to lose the last 20 pounds a few years ago..gave up and copped out and now have to lose 50. This time around I joined a gym and got trainer and I'm totally committed no matter how long or how hard and believe me the gym is hard! WE CAN DO THIS! B)
  • Sirius_12
    Sirius_12 Posts: 54 Member
    I don't believe at all that because you lost it quickly was the reason you gained some back. That's just another diet myth. You hit the nail on the head when you talked about the difficulty of staying motivated. That's what it all comes down to. Motivation and accountability. MFP can help. Hang in there, buddy. You can do this.