What to do with all this kale?

Options
I bought a bunch of kale yesterday, and other than put it in my green smoothies I don't know what else to do with it. Someone told me I can sautee it like spinach or boil it like collard greens. If I boil them will they lose some of their nutritional value? Any kick butt kale recipes you wanna share? Thanks!

Replies

• JRadd14
    JRadd14 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You can bake it and eat it like chips. Google Baked Kale Chips...
  • Gemini61454
    Gemini61454 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You can make an easy salad with hard boiled eggs and put Caesar dressing on it. It is quite easy and tasty! My 3 year old grandson eats it like crazy :) I think I may have put Parmesan cheese in too, but it is plenty salty with the Caesar! It is also great in a stir fry with sauted garlic and onion. You can add some couscous or quinoa if you have some cooked leftovers and top with some melting cheese. That is good too...
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Bump - I would love to get some ideas too :)
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I made it for the first time the other night. Mine was frozen so I first boiled it in chicken stock, then I drained it and fried in in a bit of olive oil with some garlic and procuitto bits. It was amazingly good.
  • AmyJo527
    AmyJo527 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Kale pesto is awesome over whole wheat pasta or as a spread on sandwiches.

Put a couple big handfuls of kale in a food processor with 4 cloves of garlic, zest of one lemon, a handful of pingioli nuts or walnuts, a handful of basil, a little Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Start the food processor and slowly add extra virgin olive oil until it gets a little thinner. Can be used warm or cold. It is yummy with fresh mozzarella and tomatoes as well. :drinker:
  • cosmic8o8
    cosmic8o8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've had a kale Caesar salad before and it was delicious!
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I just bought a huge bag of kale because it was on sale. Can you eat it like a salad? I thought I read it was bitter? LOL - I never tasted it before
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Don't boil kale. It will turn soggy. Lightly steam it for a minute or two and serve with butternut squash, brown rice, lentils, or another protein. I season it with dry roasted/toasted sesame seeds. Kale is really nutritious.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    interesting ideas!
    Thanks!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I love finely chopped kale in my lentil soup and also kale chips and salad.
  • Andrea419
    Andrea419 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I saute in a little olive oil, garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes. Really good on it's own, or tossed with some whole wheat pasta and turkey sausage.

Kale chips are good too - spray with a little oil, toss with salt, and bake on a cookie sheet in a 300 degree oven till crunchy.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I just joined a CSA and got my first shipment today. It has kale in it and I have never had kale. These ideas sound pretty good.

Using ingredients that I have and Andrea's suggestion, I think I will sauté with olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes and then add shrimp and rice. Here's to being adventurous and trying new things!
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I usually make a pork kale and white bean soup.

but we also sautee it, or wilt it like we would spinach.

i'll have to try that pilaf recipe up thread.
  • mellorunner
    Options
    I love using it for salads. Whenever you would use lettuce, use kale instead. Also I cook some in to my eggs when I fry them in the morning.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I saute in a little olive oil, garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes. Really good on it's own, or tossed with some whole wheat pasta and turkey sausage.

This is my usual way. Wash it, stem it (how severely depends on the toughness of the stem; sometimes I pull each half of the leaf off the main spine, other times I just hack off the stems low). Cut into ribbons (stack leaves, roll lengthwise, slice). Sautee in olive oil with garlic, salt, pepper. Red pepper is good. IF its bigger and thicker, sautee for a few minutes, then add a little water (quarter cup or less), cover, and steam/braise.

A squeeze of lemon before serving is good. A sprinkle of freshly grated parmesan is good.

Or: sautee onions unitl very limp in the pan first, then sautee the kale. Make mashed potatoes at the same time, mash the taters and stirl in the kale and onions, mash them together a bit (learned that one with cabbage, but kale works really nicely too).
  • eperezamora
    eperezamora Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    saute it ! With onions, tomatoes, Mushrooms,Lemon juice, Black pepper and little bit of cayenne pepper .. Love this over Grilled Chicken breast or Salmon.. Good luck !
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I make a salad with it everyday. I make one today with a hard boiled egg, garbanzo beans, sunflower seeds and light ranch. It was really good. I make different types of salads with it. Also use it in soups and I sauté it. I love it!
  • hdawg412
    hdawg412 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I second the baked kale chips. The recipe at the bottom of thisnlinkmis for raw vegan garlic and cheese kale chips. There is a brand called brad's vampire kale chips. These taste like that but are much more economical.

http://www.averiecooks.com/2010/04/raw-vegan-kale-chips-making-our-own.html
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    i love to boil it in chicken broth or just water. then you can drain it and sometimes i will press the water out and have it on sandwiches or just raw. delicious green.