Morning Workouts

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Transitioning back to morning workouts has been really helpful for me. Mostly it's just getting into the habit, but a few tips I have:

Decide what you are doing about food--working out before eating or eating a little something?

Have your workout clothes laid out and put them on immediately upon waking, before getting your water and coffee or whatever you have.

If you don't feel like it, tell yourself you only have to go for, say, 15 minutes and if you aren't feeling it you can stop (I've never stopped after doing this).
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    love morning workouts, but I know sometimes the "bed gravity pull" is intense. I get everything ready the night before and I keep my workout clothes next to the bed. I get up get in them and go.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    shaye8999 wrote: »
    Do you guys feel better at work, or throughout the day when you wake up early and work out? Mentally do you feel more awake throughout the day?

I absolutely do. It especially helps with my stress level throughout the day.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    @atypicalsmith Are we arguing about poop and piss? I don't even know your name. lol
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    @atypicalsmith Are we arguing about poop and piss? I don't even know your name. lol

We were not arguing, we were having a friendly discussion. I'm not the one who brought up No. 2 :), but I answered your question to the best of my capability. If that wasn't good enough, I would recommend you consult with your local Poopologist, who would be much more experienced than I am.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • SlimEsq
    SlimEsq Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love morning workouts. I sleep better at night when I get up at 5am every day and I'm usually asleep between 10-10:30pm every night. Getting everything laid out is key. I get up put on my gym stuff, get a good warm up and stretch and go. I come back home to shower and get ready for work. I am never overtired during the day, in fact, I have significantly more energy when I am getting up versus sleeping in.

One key thing is: Make sure you actually enjoy your workout. I run, bike, lift weights or do yoga. I am generally looking forward to getting up early to do these things which makes it very easy!
  • jtcanale530
    jtcanale530 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 am to get my workout in. The first few weeks it was so tough, now 3.5 months in it's so much easier. What helped me was getting in bed early (10 pm), making sure my workout stuff was all together in one place and easy to grab and just getting up to do it. No hitting the snooze button, no being lazy. I like getting it out of the way first thing in the morning.

I am also having trouble getting up and motivated in the mornings. I have not thought about getting everything ready the night before. That is a great idea.
    Do you guys feel better at work, or throughout the day when you wake up early and work out? Mentally do you feel more awake throughout the day?

I agree with some of the others. I started working out in the morning at 5:15 about 4 months ago and feel much better throughout the day. Not sure how much of that is related to the time of the workout since I wasn't working out at all before that but I've definitely noticed I sleep much more soundly.
    It was hard the first week or so but now I love it and have no trouble getting up. It's also nice to see those extra remaining calories in the diary all day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 am to get my workout in. The first few weeks it was so tough, now 3.5 months in it's so much easier. What helped me was getting in bed early (10 pm), making sure my workout stuff was all together in one place and easy to grab and just getting up to do it. No hitting the snooze button, no being lazy. I like getting it out of the way first thing in the morning.

I am also having trouble getting up and motivated in the mornings. I have not thought about getting everything ready the night before. That is a great idea.

Absolutely!

• dro6632
    dro6632 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will definitely follow your advice and get everything ready the night before. I will go to bed before 9pm so that I can be at the gym at 5am. :)
  • NordicLifter78
    NordicLifter78 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am nearly religious about working out in the morning, it's been my routine now for over 3 years and I feel absolutely better during my day.