Looking fatter in pictures.

Options
2»

Replies

• Farahworld
    Farahworld Posts: 41 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I Don't know. I look in the mirror I look fine, I take a selfie... I look weird and horrible.....(example :my profile picture) That's why I avoid selfies ...
    As for regular pictures, sometimes I look slim if I stood in the middle, but if I stood at the edges I look larger!!!!! Annoying!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    As the old saying goes, "the camera adds 10 lbs." Why is that? Why do we look bigger in pictures than in real life?

That's in your perception only.

Yeah, I'm sure it is partly, but I think everyone looks fatter in pics, not just me, though certainly I'm more critical of myself. But, even my husband agrees that I am not very photogenic. Not just weight, I always seem to have a weird look on my face, especially if it's a posed pic. Candid pics are better.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    Never understood the needs to constantly take selfies; seems to set people up for obsessing about their looks a bit too much.

How about everyone posts the books they are reading constantly and stops twerking for likes....

Not going to lie; my respect for women has dropped a lot in the FB/Instagram yrs.

Hey, twerking burns calories! ;)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm odd. Since I've lost weight, I feel like I look better in pictures than in the mirror. I have a really distorted image of myself though and I'm able to be more objective with photos, I think.

Same here. I've always thought I look much heavier, but when I see myself in pics, I'm not really that big of a person.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Never understood the needs to constantly take selfies; seems to set people up for obsessing about their looks a bit too much.

How about everyone posts the books they are reading constantly and stops twerking for likes....

Not going to lie; my respect for women has dropped a lot in the FB/Instagram yrs.

Yeah, because men never post selfies. ::laugh::

But I wasn't talking about selfies, I was talking pictures in general.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Oh no. How will we live without your respect? With this new and devastating information, I've decided to stop taking selfies with the books I'm reading, and will now live a life austere and self-effacing.

Thank you so much for your intervention. God knows where my life would have gone if I'd continued taking pictures to celebrate my self and my body on my own terms.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    In seriousness and on-topic, I was talking about it with a friend recently and she'd told me that mirrors have a slight outward curve, making you look slightly thinner than in real life. No idea how common that is, etc, but it would make sense.

That said, I tend to be in agreement with the posters who think they look better in pictures than in the mirror these days. I think it's because I tend to zero-in on the things that I don't like about myself, whereas in pictures I can take myself in at a whole, both the things I like and the things I don't like.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    gramarye wrote: »
    In seriousness and on-topic, I was talking about it with a friend recently and she'd told me that mirrors have a slight outward curve, making you look slightly thinner than in real life. No idea how common that is, etc, but it would make sense.

Interesting. I have one of those cheap hang-on-a-door mirrors that definitely makes me look thinner (I love that mirror ;) ), but I'm going to get the level out and check the bathroom mirrors this evening.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    People say that because you lose depth perception when looking at a photo or screen. 3D becomes 2D, so the image looks a little wider.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

God forbid people trying to lose weight take progress pictures of themselves. Or refrain from discussing their literary choices in the losing weight section of mfp.
  • carriecarrot
    carriecarrot Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think pics can make you look fat or thin. The overhead angle tends to make people look thinner, I think. When my bf takes pics of me (he is almost a foot taller than me) I look somewhat thin in the photo. When someone around my height takes one, i look like an Oompa Loompa. Also, my face looks thin in close up shots, and much fatter the further away it is from the camera,