exercise

Options
Does it matter if you can only do one exercise such as the elliptical / bike. I bought one from Walmart and that's all I really got besides walking. Do u guys think this will continue to help me till I can start my workout videos again?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Sure, anything that burns calories will help you create a deficit. However, the thing to focus on is creating a deficit in the kitchen, as exercise burns tend to be inaccurate.

Do you have a digital food scale?
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    No scale at all
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    No scale at all

Buy a digital food scale, it is the tool that will help the most with fat loss.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Any kind of exercise will help, even if it's the same kind every day. I know I tend to stick to walking, exerbike, and stationery row boat. But more important is how much you eat. If you are eating say 500 calories a day more than it takes to maintain but burning 300 calories a day exercising, you're going to be over by 200 calories a day, or 1,400 calories a week. Which equates to gaining nearly two pounds a month. Are you using the food and exercise tools available to you here to make sure you eat below maintenance in order to lose weight?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The bike and the walking is plenty. You can also dance and do crunches and stuff at home.

If you have a pool near you, swim. Nothing burns calories like swimming.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    The bike and the walking is plenty. You can also dance and do crunches and stuff at home.

Just got my size 14 tankini which fits - I look like an over-stuffed sausage, but I can get it on! I figure it will last me for the next 20 pounds lost, hah! Now I just have to work up the nerve to go in public with it . . .
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds swimming at the Y in the most hideous suit ever from Wal Mart :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Just got my size 14 tankini which fits - I look like an over-stuffed sausage, but I can get it on! I figure it will last me for the next 20 pounds lost, hah! Now I just have to work up the nerve to go in public with it . . .
    Just do it. If I could swim in public at 250, you can do it.

If people think mean thoughts, they're mean people and you shouldn't care what someone like that thinks, anyway. They're beneath you and should have no impact on your exercise!

The first time is the hardest and every time after that, you're less fat.

Swimming is the BEST exercise. Don't let your fear stop you from getting it.

I think the sun helps with loose skin, too. No joke. I think it does. My skin got loose, firmed up, got exceptionally loose last winter and is firming up again. After this winter and next summer, I'll confirm it for myself.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

Just do it. If I could swim in public at 250, you can do it.

If people think mean thoughts, they're mean people and you shouldn't care what someone like that thinks, anyway. They're beneath you and should have no impact on your exercise!

The first time is the hardest and every time after that, you're less fat.

Swimming is the BEST exercise. Don't let your fear stop you from getting it.

I think the sun helps with loose skin, too. No joke. I think it does. My skin got loose, firmed up, got exceptionally loose last winter and is firming up again. After this winter and next summer, I'll confirm it for myself.

That would be cool, except I sunburn like crazy unless it's early morning or late evening, so I won't be able to experiment with you. Ooops, looks like we're hacking @camelgirlmn's post! Sorry about that!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I lost 30 pounds swimming at the Y in the most hideous suit ever from Wal Mart :)

LOL I like you a lot!
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    An elliptical or bike is great for exercise, even if you use it everyday. I would suggest to also get some weights (dumbbells or kettlebells if you're just starting) and incorporate some strength exercises a few times a week as well. Definitely get a digital food scale. Walmart should have a cheap one, if not, ebay does for like $6. Even the cheapy ones are efficient.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Elliptical/bike is just fine, when you get calorie count on the machine though, these are usually inflated so if you're just going by the number it gives you, try just eating back half of those calories to start out.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    @camelgirlmn - don't dis walking either. There's a few people here who have lots significant weight with walking the main source of their exercise burn.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Re Walmart scales - other posters have said to not buy the Mainstay brand as it has several drawbacks.
  • DuckReconMajor
    Options
    Yeah it's cool when you're wearing a fitbit and you're walking around all day, seeing just how many calories that ends up burning.
  • DuckReconMajor
    Options
    These Ozeri scales are great, I own them both and they are both easy to use and seem to be very accurate.

http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Multifunction-Kitchen-Elegant/dp/B004164SRA/
    http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Kitchen-Capacity-Stylish/dp/B003E7AZQA/
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am burned out on running, been doing it for over 40 years. NO joke. I bought a spin bike, I have a couple of Jillian Michaels DVD's that I use and I have a Zumba dvd, along with Youtube, I use this to break up the monotony of "working out." I have to say that my favorite exercises is what I like to call "jwogging" Walking/jogging combo. :wink: Do what makes you happen and what keeps you consistently moving.

Best wishes!!!
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options

THIS post made my whole day!!! :)
  • kshama2001
    Options
    freechewy wrote: »

THIS post made my whole day!!! :)

:smiley:

There's nothing I hate more when swimming than adjusting straps, and I was having no luck finding a suit with cross straps in my size. I think Wal Mart was the 5th or 6th store I tried.

I have this now, but I don't think Swim 365 makes them anymore, which is a shame.

d21demdtiq4z.jpg

This is similar in the front but the straps aren't crossable: http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing/Swimsuit-Swimdress-in-oprint-by-Swim-365.aspx?PfId=166353&DeptId=22505&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=G&pref=ps&prefine=Brand,1|Category,1&ppos=39&Splt=1&StyleNo=0765#.Va0y8Iq1V8E
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

OMG you two just gave me the snorting giggles. :laugh: :+1::heart: