Coffee???

Options
jaqcan
jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
Lots of you keep saying if you choose a good coffee, you'll eventually enjoy drinking it black. That sounds great (well, with a little sweetener maybe) but WHAT COFFEE????
I'm in Mississippi and regularly shop at a Winn Dixie and Walmart. I have a coffee grinder for beans. And I have a moka pot and regular coffee maker.
Aaaaaaaand go!

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If you have a Target get their brand (Archer Farms). I have a Keurig and at Walmart I get the Gloria Jean's brand of coffees, but not sure if they sell this as just grounds. Hope this helps!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    It kind of boils down to your taste, but I really enjoy Green Mountain Coffee.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I drink Kicking Horse.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Do you have a small coffee store near by?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I use Starbucks kcups. Pikes Peak Roast to be exact, but I can do their House Blend, too.
  • jaqcan
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Do you have a small coffee store near by?

Yes. They use a New Orleans brand of coffee Coast Roast.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    That's very subjective. You can have half a dozen people swear coffee X is the greatest coffee in the universe, but if you pick a different group of people they will swear coffee X tastes disgusting.

My advice, figure out what TYPE of coffee you prefer first...do you like very dark roasts (French roast, espresso roast, etc.) or very light coffees or something in between. If you don't like French roast, then even the highest quality French roast in the world will not taste good to you. After that it just requires a lot of trial and error.

I would suggest starting with the smallest quantity available so you can test it out without a huge commitment. Personally, I don't think you need to spend a lot. I usually buy Trader Joe's coffees and am happy. SOme of them I really love, others taste terrible to me and will never be repurchased. But all are reasonably priced so it's not that big a deal when I try one I don't like. My favorites are (in order) Bay Blend (very dark), French Roast (almost as dark), and Pinon when I want something a little lighter and with a slight flavor.

Moka pot is excellent. SOOOOO much better than coffee from a brew pot. I either use my moka pot or a french press if I am making larger quantities.
  • jaqcan
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    That's very subjective. You can have half a dozen people swear coffee X is the greatest coffee in the universe, but if you pick a different group of people they will swear coffee X tastes disgusting.

My advice, figure out what TYPE of coffee you prefer first...do you light very dark roasts (French roast, espresso roast, etc.) or very light coffees or something in between. If you don't like French roast, then even the highest quality French roast in the world will not taste good to you. After that it just requires a lot of trial and error.

I would suggest starting with the smallest quantity available so you can test it out without a huge commitment. Personally, I don't think you need to spend a lot. I usually buy Trader Joe's coffees and am happy. SOme of them I really love, others taste terrible to me and will never be repurchased. But all are reasonably priced so it's not that big a deal when I try one I don't like.

Moka pot is excellent. SOOOOO much better than coffee from a brew pot. I either use my moka pot or a french press if I am making larger quantities.

Thanks!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Why drink it black? I like mine with coconut/almond milk blend. It is only about 25 calories for the amount I use.
  • JaimusWilliams
    JaimusWilliams Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Wean yourself into black coffee.. I use to drink with cream/sugar. Than decided I wanted to cut back on sugar/cream. So i started using the "flavor" creamers. Then I would use less and less and overtime i got use to the taste.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »
    Lots of you keep saying if you choose a good coffee, you'll eventually enjoy drinking it black. That sounds great (well, with a little sweetener maybe) but WHAT COFFEE????
    I'm in Mississippi and regularly shop at a Winn Dixie and Walmart. I have a coffee grinder for beans. And I have a moka pot and regular coffee maker.
    Aaaaaaaand go!

If you're close enough, go buy it at StrangeBrew in Starkville. Shane roasts his own beans and will let you taste test. if you aren't close enough, order online in the sampler sizes and choose your favorite. I pay to have mine FedEx-ed to East Tennessee. I do not, however, drink it black. I can, but I still prefer half and half in it.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Unless you put obscene amounts of milk/creamer and sugar in your coffee the calories aren't huge. Drink it how you like, and tell others to fly a kite.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    For me, Starbucks coffee is way too bitter to drink black (or really at all unless I'm desperate). Around me though we have a bunch of other coffee chains, like Peet's for example. Are there any of those around you? Or Trader Joe's which has the best coffees at the BEST prices, like freakout cheap.

Or, if you're either super dedicated or richer than me, try ordering some online. I grew up on Zabar's coffee (the house blend is my favorite), it's not too expensive and you might even want to start with some flavored blends: http://www.zabars.com/flavored-coffee/

Or something like this where you get different coffees every month:
    https://one.mistobox.com/

What really matters is just that you're drinking coffee. Delicious, caffeinated, amazing perfect coffee. Coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    If you have a Target get their brand (Archer Farms). I have a Keurig and at Walmart I get the Gloria Jean's brand of coffees, but not sure if they sell this as just grounds. Hope this helps!

This! If you are going for cheap and widely available, try Cafe Mosaica and Madres de Nicaragua from Target.

If price is no object and you are willing to order online, buy something, anything from Stumptown Coffee. Montes de Oro is my favorite, but everything I've ever tried from them has been extraordinary...a whole 'nother level of coffee kind of extraordinary.

I have successfully weaned myself to almost no milk. It took quite a while to do.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    OP...I forgot to put in the website: SBCoffeehouse.com. seriously...the best coffee and will deliver to your house. Try it!
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @sofaking6 I miss Peet's. We lived around the corner from the one in Hillcrest. No stores here AZ, but you can buy it bagged in the grocery store.

When I do drink coffee (too hot right now), I drink Maxwell House (cause its good to the last drop) with some sort of sweet cream creamer. They are generally around 40 cals per serving, and it doesnt take much to flavor it the way I like it. :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Definitely Peet's for me. My fave, and I drink the Major Dickason's blend black every morning. I get the whole bean at Costco.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee myself, but I know a ton of coffee snobs. They swear on fair trade, independent coffee shops. No brand names, but Ethiopian is a type that is popular. Columbian sometimes too. They grind the beans right before making it, and measure the temperature of the water right before putting it through the coffee press. No coffee filters or machine-brewed coffee for them, lol.
  • jaqcan
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    I don't drink coffee myself, but I know a ton of coffee snobs. They swear on fair trade, independent coffee shops. No brand names, but Ethiopian is a type that is popular. Columbian sometimes too. They grind the beans right before making it, and measure the temperature of the water right before putting it through the coffee press. No coffee filters or machine-brewed coffee for them, lol.

Interesting! I think I'll get some from the little shop in my town and see how we like it.
  • JenileeFinley
    JenileeFinley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »

This! If you are going for cheap and widely available, try Cafe Mosaica and Madres de Nicaragua from Target.

If price is no object and you are willing to order online, buy something, anything from Stumptown Coffee. Montes de Oro is my favorite, but everything I've ever tried from them has been extraordinary...a whole 'nother level of coffee kind of extraordinary.

I have successfully weaned myself to almost no milk. It took quite a while to do.

Agree! I love stump town too! Try the hair bender! Seriously delish!