Run out of calories ??

Options
tezibaby
tezibaby Posts: 12 Member
I know we have our daily calorie amount but when you have reached that are you not allowed to carry on eating fruit or veg or is that it ? Thanks

Replies

• jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You can, but they still have calories and you won't have as much as a deficit and won't lose as much. But if you are still hungry, choosing a handful of carrots is lower calories than a handful of ice cream!
    That is one of the fallacies I had with Weight Watchers. Fruits and Vegetables are not free calories. They HAVE calories, some fruits have a lot of calories.
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Exercise to offset additional calories.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Are you consistently still hungry after you have had your daily allotment? Maybe your calories are set too low.
    The idea is to eat at whatever you have adjusted your settings to in order to see the results that you want. Vegetables would be great if you are still hungry, not as calorie dense as fruit.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Seanb_us wrote: »
    Exercise to offset additional calories.

This.

If you're running out on a consistent basis, I would suggest planning out your meals and logging them ahead of time. That way you can even distribute your calories throughout the day and you won't have to worry about running out.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Thea519 wrote: »
    If you're running out on a consistent basis, I would suggest planning out your meals and logging them ahead of time. That way you can even distribute your calories throughout the day and you won't have to worry about running out.

I agree with this.

It's not the end of the world if you go over as you are adjusting; just log the fruits and vegetables (or whatever else you eat) so you know by how much (they aren't free like with WW).

If you are struggling, consider whether the deficit is too great or if you just need to work on planning better.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'd be careful with the whole "I don't have enough calories left so I'll exercise to earn some" approach. While the concept is a good one in theory, food is not a reward for exercise and shouldn't be treated as such in practice. If you're constantly hungry then you should do one of two things:

Determine if your weight loss goal for each week (.5 to 2 pounds per week) is too aggressive. For those who are in the situation you're describing, the reason we see most often is that they are trying to lose weight too quickly by eating far too few calories. Since you only have a few pounds to lose, you shouldn't be aiming to lose more than .5 pound per week. Reducing that goal should automatically give you more calories to eat which you should find more sustainable.

You could alternatively attempt to exercise more on a regular basis (not just in response to "I need more calories for today".) The downside to this is that adding exercise will likely make you even more hungry as your body is now burning more calories than before.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Every calorie counts. Try having more fruits and veggies before you hit your number. You can stay really, really full by eating fruits and veggies. So few calories. :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Pre-planning and/or cooking could be your best friend if you're always going over. Once you put in your meals and they fit, just follow the plan.