Do great at work, get home....BOOM blow my day

jmac4263
jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
So I eat good at work, only bring an afternoon snack and dont keep things in the office that will tempt me to snack. However, when I get home at 4:30 thats when my boyfriend is waking up- he works nights... so he cooks breakfast when I get home, I dont eat what he does but i tend to stand and snack and talk to him while he eats then we go to the gym.

I swear if there was such thing as cronic snacking I would be one! I snack alot if I dont pay attention, a day out by the pool I snack all the time! If I can find ways to stop this I know I would have a much easier time keeping my calories in check!!

Any advice for my affair with snacking?!?

Replies

• Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    On what are you snacking? Maybe if you were to prepare "harmless" snacks like celery and cucumber strips (both of which I find disgusting, but that's just me) you could minimise the damage.
  • jmac4263
    well last week I measured out almonds and raisins, crackers for my tuna pouches, made containers of fresh cut up fruit, and also snack mix- ( has pretzals, peanuts, PB chips ect) in little bags so they were all in single portions. But the thing is I dont need to be snacking I dont think, since i normally have a snack at work at like 3:30- Todays is cheese stick, almonds and raisins.

And when I am at home I tend to eat more than one bag....
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Sounds like you eat through sheer force of habit, which you will need to try and break if you don't want to be tempted anymore, so that's going to take some willpower. Try replacing standing around talking and eating to talking whilst drinking a cup of tea instead? Or simply don't stand in the kitchen when chatting, stand by the door or sit at the table, so you're not directly next to any food.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Cheese stick, almonds and raisins are all quite calorific, I think.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Eat lighter throughout the day so you have a lot calories available after work.
    Keep low calorie snacks on had at home if you know you will snack.
    Stay busy so you can't snack ALL evening.
  • jmac4263
    I think i might try all week to stay busy and not hang out while he is eating. Maybe that will help me stay away from the snacks- I don't know if its because he is eating, or I just feel a tad hungry at that time and end up eating more than just a little snack!
  • dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    I log 5pm to 5pm which helps so much. or log the largest meal of the day first so i can make up for it with the rest of the day. i think it also helps to pre log things and adjust them if necessary.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I'm a grazer and I like to just grab little handfuls of food as I walk through the kitchen. For awhile when I was losing weight I'd put little bowls of pre-weighed and pre-logged carrots, fruit, nuts, etc in the refrigerator or on the counter so I could feel like I was grazing but without going over.
  • jmac4263
    I stopped tracking my exercise because it was just kinda nerve racking for me, I would enter in a whole days worth of food so that I would have an idea of what calories I was at, knowing that at work out I would burn some but still seeing that number say I was over just freaked me out. So I am going to try staying at 1500 Total and not tracking my exercise!! @dogcatac I see your point there too! The bulk of my calories are after 3 pm
  • jcow84
    jcow84 Posts: 75 Member
    You shouldn't avoid visiting with your guy before he leaves for work just so you won't snack - especially if you work opposite shifts. Try some of the other ideas, like drinking tea or something.
  • jmac4263
    @jcow84 good idea, we have a great room so the dinning, kitchen and living room are all just one big space I might occupy myself with laundry or dishes or something to keep myself busy while talking as well!

Thank you all!!!
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Portion control your snacks. Set up a "snack shelf" or "snack basket" with snacks of various calories. Or grab a piece of fruit or vegetable sticks and hummus.

9 tortilla chips have 140 calories.
    A bag of (snack chip here) is, essentially, a bag of "sugar, fat, and salt" and/or a "bag o' calories".
    Those visualizations may help deter you.

Knowledge is power.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I eat lunch later (2-2:30) then when I leave I'm not so hungry. Also, you can try chewing gum on your way home so you can't "snack" until it's your allocated dinner time.
  • jmac4263
    Portion control your snacks. Set up a "snack shelf" or "snack basket" with snacks of various calories. Or grab a piece of fruit or vegetable sticks and hummus.

9 tortilla chips have 140 calories.
    A bag of (snack chip here) is, essentially, a bag of "sugar, fat, and salt" and/or a "bag o' calories".
    Those visualizations may help deter you.

Knowledge is power.

I do this--- my baggies are one serving of crackers- 70 calories. 1 pouch of Tuna 90 calories- 1 ounce of almonds ect. Its grabbing more than one bag and just not paying much attention in the time frame that I am home that is hurting me!
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    One trick that helped me - but may not suit your circumstances - is that I established a policy of not eating anything if I wasn't prepared to focus on it. This year, I developed a habit of being conscious of every bite, and more so if I was eating a high calorie food.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    You could try brushing your teeth when you get home! :) Seriously, if I brush my teeth, I tend not to eat right away. First of all, it doesn't usually taste so good to eat after brushing. Second, I don't want to lose the clean feeling.

I LOVE the tea idea! I use it in the evenings, myself, sometimes.
  • FinallyFit28
    FinallyFit28 Posts: 53 Member
    Sometimes its the hardest when you're in the comfort of your own home. I'm sure you keep busy perhaps focus on projects will keep you from over eating. Good luck. You can add me if you'd like.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited July 2015
    I would make some soup or broth to sip on
    One trick that helped me - but may not suit your circumstances - is that I established a policy of not eating anything if I wasn't prepared to focus on it. This year, I developed a habit of being conscious of every bite, and more so if I was eating a high calorie food.

Good one :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Eat lighter throughout the day so you have a lot calories available after work.
    Keep low calorie snacks on had at home if you know you will snack.
    Stay busy so you can't snack ALL evening.
    ^ This :)
    ^ This also. :)