Whats been helping your diet and exercise most?

Options
Whats everyone doing thats helped you most improve with your diet and weightloss? What hasn't worked? Do you think weight loss drinks or supplements help improve your results or are just a gimmick?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Knowledge of the science behind nutrition is what has helped me the most. And it makes it easy to cut through all the bullcrap floating around on the Internet.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    What's helped the most: having patience, realistic expectation, consistency and a food scale.

Your 2nd question... there's a difference between supplements & weight loss drinks but anyway I'm going to say gimmick.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Knowledge of the science behind nutrition is what has helped me the most. And it makes it easy to cut through all the bullcrap floating around on the Internet.

Absolutely agreed!
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I personally think weight loss drinks are very gimmicky, they may work for some, but they're pricey and not worth it in my opinion. Why pay for something you can do yourself for free? :)

The thing that's helped me the most is just learning about how calorie deficits etc work, I had little to no knowledge of it beforehand. Also weighing food was a big eye opener for me, I dont know how anyone loses weight consistently without the accuracy of weighing, its made such a huge change for me :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What's helped the most: having patience, realistic expectation, consistency and a food scale.

Your 2nd question... there's a difference between supplements & weight loss drinks but anyway I'm going to say gimmick.

This^

......and cut yourself some slack (this is really patience & consistency). I've done the "I screwed up, so I have to start over routine." Then I wait to get motivated (again). Nope - no one has to be perfect to lose weight. We just need to make better decisions. You don't need extreme dietary or exercise plans.

Just eat the foods you eat....only be accountable (measure & log)....then move more.
  • ohgeeque
    ohgeeque Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Science! The science of calories-in/calories-out has really helped me cut through the bull and get down to the simple basics that really work.

I didn't gain this weight by magical means and I'm not doing to lose it that way.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    The fear of dying keeps me motivated most days... understanding that fit = happy(ier)... knowing that exercise and nutrition are as important as breathing... and that there is ALWAYS time to get a little exercise in.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    patience and consistency...

anything promising miracle weigh loss is a gimmick...weight management is simply a mathematical equation. supplements are simply used to supplement something that is lacking...i.e. I'm vitamin D deficient so I supplement with vitamin D.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »

Agreed!!!! Knowledge is power!
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I lost 100lbs a few years ago by starving myself and hating myself. I was alone for months because I couldn't stand being around people. It was terrible.

Now I realize that weightloss is not about emotion - it's science. I am regulating how much energy I am putting in my body to reduce the mass. And it has made this experience so much more enjoyable for me.

I am not obsessed with eating nothing and when I would finally get food again. I eat what my body needs and go on with my life.

I still love food and I definitely have my favorites. But I don't let emotion dictate how, when, and what I eat.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power. But that is only part of the equation, in my opinion. The other part requires application and consistency. A person can have a PHD in exercise physiology and nutrition and still be no better off health wise, if he or she has lacked applying that knowledge on a consistent basis in said area.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I've had all the knowledge in the world about how to take care of my body, and I have still gained and lost and gained again. For me, the most important thing was consistency. I have to do what needs to be done every day. It also helps to remind myself I only have this one body, and even without medical issues, I have to admit I've put it through the ringer. Choosing foods that build a better body has become a priority, as well as choosing ways to enjoy fitness.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    The science of weight loss and learning how to apply it to my life, along with a food scale and a lot of patience (though I threaten to throw things sometimes).
  • Sam_Lam88
    Sam_Lam88 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Planning. Don't leave yourself in a position where unhealthy empty calories are your only option.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Whats everyone doing thats helped you most improve with your diet and weightloss?
    Counted calories. I resisted this forever.

What hasn't worked?
    Working out and eating "intuitively". I would usually lose weight but it would eventually plateau.

Do you think weight loss drinks or supplements help improve your results or are just a gimmick?
    Weight loss drinks, no. Supplements can help meeting macros as long they fit in your calorie goal.
  • tenkides
    tenkides Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Having a plan for exercise and being able to just drink carnation breakfast if im not hungry in the morning. Good luck on your journey.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,201 Member
    Options
    oxreese wrote: »
    Whats everyone doing thats helped you most improve with your diet and weightloss? What hasn't worked? Do you think weight loss drinks or supplements help improve your results or are just a gimmick?

I have firmly stuck to CICO (Calories In < Calories Out). That is what has worked. And I'm down 16 kg since mid-Feb now. :)

Weight loss drinks or supplements aren't necessary.

• sheila2323
    sheila2323 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Nope - no one has to be perfect to lose weight. We just need to make better decisions.
    I needed to hear that today.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like food, so I don't want to drink my calories.