Options
2»

Replies

• pug11
    pug11 Posts: 23 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    tomscudero wrote: »
    Does anyone else have this problem? I snack an hour or so before going to sleep, but I wake up two hours later hungry and can't go back to sleep. If I resist, I don't sleep. If I give in and eat (usually a bowl of cereal with some protein powder) I am able to go back to sleep. But I hate to eat in the middle of the night as I am concerned it will hinder my body fat reduction.
    Eating in the middle of the night won't hinder your body fat reduction unless it causes you to eat more calories than you otherwise would.

Don't know why it's adding the quote above but I wanted to quote tomscudero! although totally agree with the above poster.

Yes! I used to always have a snack an hour or so before bed and quite often wake up a few hours later, but I've figured out it definitely depends on what I eat before bed, if I add some healthy fats I don't wake up.

Also, if my snack is earlier that helps, I have noticed eating nearer to bedtime seems to make me more hungry if that makes any sense.

As others have said, eating in the middle of the night won't hinder your body fat reduction unless you're going over your daily cals, so just account for them.

• ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I allocate calories for the end of the day for this very reason--I usually leave about 300. I also have things available that I can take up some time to eat. So, rather than a granola bar that I'll eat in 30 seconds, I'll make a 100 calorie bag of popcorn that'll take much more time (never enough, though). These aren't really filling, but my nighttime snacking is more out of habit and boredom, and so far I'm not great at breaking that, so I just made it work. If it really is hunger, I go for a Quest Bar because I'm always full after those.
  • Smilieeee2OO1
    Smilieeee2OO1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, so far a cup of grapes for sweetness and some carrot and celery for crunch factor has worked for me
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Pre-measure snacks that you can fit into your calorie goal. Basically, take what you snack on and portion out single servings into baggies. Find out what the calories are for each bag, write it on the bag, and keep them in a place that's not as accessible. Like, for me, it's downstairs in the kitchen, so if it's just habit, laziness wins and I don't want to get up to get it. XD If it's a snacking habit, that will probably satisfy it. If you're actually hungry, you may need to adjust your evening meal later, or split it up if you're eating with people so you have part of it a couple hours later.
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I work 3-11 and have chew gum to prevent the snacking
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Make room in your allotment for that late night yum. Prelog your days (helps tremendously).

Yes, pre-log. If that means you increase your calories throughout the day or you keep the total low so you can snack reasonably with a 500 calorie window, go for it!