Anyone with cough variant asthma that has some tips when you get out of breath?

Options
My doctor just tells me to use albuterol before I exercise and I know my allergies are making it worse because if I forget any of my pills I am a no go the next day, last saturday I tried to do zumba class and I spent the whole time trying to breath and coughing my head off but today it is much better. Do you have any tips for when it it really bad so I feel like I can breath and not cough my head off?

Replies

• 18JessieS
    18JessieS Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if there is really any cure, I have the same thing, but be sure to stay super hydrated throughout the entire day. If you even start to get out of breath don't be afraid to take a break and drink some water again. Also the more you exercise the more endurance you gain and the more ability to breath. Set a Reminder on your phone to remember to take those pills too. Also bring your inhaler to the workout and take it if it gets really bad.
  • dawnr2
    dawnr2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I go to spin class a lot and used to have this problem too. I then took up yoga and started using the breathing techniques while on the bike and its helped massively. Initially I had to really focus on the breathing so that I opened up my chest and slowed the breathing down but it's now become second nature so I can work much harder in class
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    There is only one solution. Increase your endurance through exercise. It is a slow process but it definitely does help.
    If you are really out of shape, start with low intensity options. If your heart rate gets too high, it will become more difficult to breathe. Also, don't feel bad to wait out a track while you try to regain control of your breathing.

Last tip, avoid HIIT training for a while. It will get your heart rate up real high real fast, and only has little recovery time.

ETA: I don't really know any good breathing techniques, but for me when I do BodyCombat it helps when I "yell" at the punches. You are supposed to breathe out when punching anyway, but by making the sound I really force myself to exhale. Furthermore, since the yell is always at a set punch of a combination that gets repeated, I get into a consistent breathing pattern.
  • sweetochiken
    sweetochiken Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Use a nebulizer about 4 times a day to loosen up your lungs. Steamy showers. Take your meds on a regular basis, even if you arent symptomatic. While exercising, I think (for me ) relief comes over time. I used to do incline work on treadmill to get my lungs working(takes to long to get them used to it, and lungs get tired quick). But now i switched to strength training, and my breathing has been more managed. Working on all muscle groups has helped, obviously upper body, but doing legs (squats, lunges, etc...) help with breathing techniques, slow and tame workouts (rather than fast and eractic , as cardio can sometimes be). I also used to do yoga, overtime that increased my lung capacity BUT, i was so bored lol... To give you an idea, i am 31, ive had chronic bronchitis since i was 18, and recently (3 yrs ago) i was diagnostic with COPD with only 40% lung capacity, this happened because i wasnt strict with taking my meds on a daily basis. I thought i was controlled, but "i managed" with the regular wheezing and annoying cough. Until pollen season had me gasping for air, alone with my infant boy and 5 year old, if u hadn't called the ambulance who knows what would of happened . I got my *kitten* into gear. I havent had wheezing since i started weight training. Highly recommend it. Take care of your lungs, hydrate, and take your meds. What other meds do you take?
  • JayTE83
    JayTE83 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Steam baths are great for activating the bronchiali in the lungs, helping them to swell and in turn making your lungs better at separating oxygen from carbon dioxide. Alternatively warm lemon water every morning to help your lung walls get thicker and your oxygen processing to be more efficient. I struggled with Asthma for a long time as a child. Never bothered with medications and I'm asthma free for last 17yrs.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If you're having attacks on a regular basis, your asthma just isn't under control. I've struggled for years with it, having attacks, waking up coughing in the middle of the night, getting sick all the time. I finally gave in and went to an allergy doctor, turns I have severe allergies to a bunch of different things. I am now on multiple medicines for asthma and allergies and getting allergy shots. I feel SO MUCH BETTER I can't even believe it. I didn't realize how bad it was until it got better. I can actually take a deep breath in all the way now. I only have to use my albuterol inhaler maybe once a month. You might benefit from going to an asthma/allergy doctor and finding out what you can do to control it all the time. It's made a world of difference to me.
  • maggiemay530
    maggiemay530 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this post and am book marking it for any more advice that comes through. I was diagnosed with copd about a year ago and was asthmatic also. I always use my albuterol prior to my walks and do 2 walks per day rather than 1 long one. I was very sedentary for so long and walking is my only cardio so far. I get so short of breath and try to relax my breathing. I do a cup of hot lemon water every a.m. and am beginning light weights as well as the walking,so will look into breath control with yoga also.

Thanks for posting this valuable question,socialdchic and thanks all responders!
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Making sure my asthma was entirely controlled before exercise was essential.

Initially it was medication to do so and no added exercise beyond regular daily activities. After it was completely controlled with day to day, I started slowly increasing exercise. Key for me at that point was staying calm throughout the exercise. I used to get anxious in anticipation of asthma attacks, and then I would tense up or start breathing too fast and thinking about the allergens around me that might trigger me, then my chest would start feeling tight, and it often triggered an attack.

Through trial and error, I developed a breathing technique (a steady appropriate pace for breathing in and out) that worked well for me and I would kind of zone into the exercise and breathing technique so my brain didn't start panicking.

Over time, I reduced my need for medication and my anxiety with exercise is minimal to non-existent.

Now, I have not had an asthma attack or problem with exercise in nearly five years. I have only needed albuterol a handful of times in that five years and it was related to having a respiratory infection.

Please note that this is only my personal experience, and is in no way intended to be advice for you to follow, as your body and health needs are different from my own.