Easy Way to Track Shoe Mileage?

Options
I don't run much, but I do use the same pair of shoes for gym workouts and walking. I tend to walk 50-60 miles a week.

I know that you are only supposed to put 300-500 miles on a pair of shoes...but is there an accurate and easy way to track that?

My last pair had at least 1200 miles on them before I realized that they were causing me knee pain. I got new shoes and the problem went away immediately. I'm only able to do a rough estimate because I bought them around the same time I bought my Fitbit, and I can guess what percentage of the time I was wearing sneakers.

Suggestions? Is there a simple/accurate way to track shoe mileage?

Replies

• btkennett
    btkennett Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Download Mapmyrun. Use Gear Tracker. It will track all miles.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    No smartphone...

I do have an iPod touch, but it isn't on me for every step that I walk in my tennis shoes.

I'm considering getting a second Fitbit just for my shoes...but that kind of seems like overkill.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Create a spreadsheet in Google docs and track the dates you run and how many miles and any other stats you want to track. Then you can easily total it.

If you aren't running much are you only looking to track the running miles? If you're mostly just walking in your running shoes the 300-500 mile rule won't apply because you aren't "abusing" them in the same way. :smile: You'll get many more miles out of them.

FWIW, I have a Garmin GPS watch and the web app allows me to put gear on there and then choose which pair of shoes, etc. I used for that run. I can track multiple pairs of shoes at the same time. There may be other web apps out there which will do the same.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Nope, not running because of a bad knee. I walk hard, fast and far though. I'm also a supinator, so I do wear out shoes.

I am looking to track all miles on a particular pair of shoes.