Fitbit Surge? Something else? Help!!!?!?!

Options
So I'm on the journey. I've lost 50+ pounds and tracking my activity has been crucial. That said...the Microsoft Band SUCKS! The GPS never works, the charging is sporadic. Battery life sucks.

So..I need to buy something new. I want GPS. I am a geek, and I track pace. What are y'all using? Is the surge a great tool? Is there something better? Will a Polar bug the crap out of me because I need to wear a chest strap?

Love your advice!

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What activities do you do? What data points do you want to track? How important is accuracy to you?
  • MHTret
    MHTret Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You might look at the Garmin VivoActive. I tried both the Fitbit Charge HR and the Surge and didn't like either, then found the Garmin and it's been very motivating and fun to use. So many choices -- hope you find the tracker that's just right for you!!
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    After about 15 minutes of use, I never even felt the chest strap. It just took a little bit of getting use to. I wear a Fitbit but when it breaks down I am going to get a Garmin with a chest strap. I don't know if that would track everything you want but if it is just the thought of a chest strap that is bothering...don't let it, they are very comfortable and you don't even know that it is there. Good luck with whatever you decide to try.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar M400 GPS watch and fitness tracker and the Polar H7 Heart rate sensor. The watch has a lot of features (even some the Garmin models at a higher price don't have). Battery life is good at about 8 - 9 hrs of GPS / HRM use or 30 days fitness tracking. The Polar flow app, which the watch syncs too, along syncs with MFP, which is convenient.
  • btkennett
    btkennett Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I run and want daily activity tracking. Accuracy is cool but more concerned about consistent gps and charging. Did I mention the Microsoft Band sucks :-)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I've had most. Just sold my Surge because I could not get the HRM to work for me and wasn't overly impressed with the screen brightness in daylight. I did the VivoFit but it did not track current exercise, just overall activity in a day. Fuel Band...meh. Nothing special.

My fave has been the Fitbit Force, but you could do the Flex and be happy for cheap.
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've done a few:
    Fitbit flex, charge Hr, surge and now garmin vivoactive.
    Flex doesn't have Hr or GPS so I moved on from that.
    ChargeHr kept losing my HR signal, I think because of my sweat. I kept moving it around.
    Surge was awesome. Loved it. I got water in it some how, (never swam or showered with it) and the screen stopped working. Hr was good but slow to go up or come down when doing HIIT. Love the text/calling notifications. When I needed to return it, I decided to change to the garmin due to it being waterproof.
    Vivoactive I think can be paired with a hr strap but I'm over looking at my hr, I can feel now when I'm in the zone. But is an option if I change mind. Battery life is awesome and last longer then surge. Both GPS are great. But I feel the garmin is more accurate with steps then all of them. I do find it takes alittle time to sync with app. I like all the little options it has but I really want the GPS and activity tracker and it is great. Both surge and vivoactive are $250. Garmin is thinner and more comfortable.
    Hope that helps!!!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    You could do the Flex and be happy for cheap.

I lost the weight & maintained just fine with a Fitbit Flex. I upgraded to the Charge HR (which has a heart rate monitor) because it has a secure buckle and comes in purple.

All Fitbits calculate your TDEE and sync with MFP. Fitbit challenges are great motivation—and fun.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    btkennett wrote: »
    I run and want daily activity tracking. Accuracy is cool but more concerned about consistent gps and charging.

If you want GPS to track running then the Apple Watch, Polar A300, and Fitbit Charge are eliminated.

If you want accurate HR data, most of the wrist mounted trackers with optical HR are out as well. They have issues, especially during exercise which is the only time HR factors in ... the Surge falls into this issue. http://www.cnet.com/news/how-accurate-are-wristband-heart-rate-monitors/

That leaves devices such as the Garmin Vivoactive, Forerunner 15, and Polar M400. What other activities you do will narrow down the selection. The FR15 is only designed for running and activity tracking ... if you swim, bike, golf ... other devices better meet your needs. It's why knowing what activities you do, what data you really want to track, and what level of accuracy you're looking for matter ... without that all you're going to get is a list of "I have (insert device here) and I love it" types of posts ... confirmation bias at its worst.
  • kmarc33
    kmarc33 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    +1 for the VivoActive. I use a Wahoo Tickr chest strap which is both ANT+ and Bluetooth. Very happy with both. Be sure to do some research with Ray at: dcrainmaker.com/ . Great site, great recommendations.
  • btkennett
    btkennett Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!! That site is great!! I'm mostly running / walking and tracking general fitness (weights, etc.) and the GPS for me is largely because I am a geek and love accurate (or semi accurate) splits along with elevation etc. to see how I'm improving on the same routes. Lots to consider. It looks like all will be better and more reliable than what I am currently using.