(Opinion) Horrible Workout Days

Options
fatasstobadass
fatasstobadass Posts: 24 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm having a horrible workout day. I'm on my way to the gym because the park didn't do it for me. I have no motivation, I work out by myself, and all the support I have from my family and friends feels very phony. I say this because if it they really supported me, they would offer to workout with me. I'm utterly discouraged today.

Does anyone else have these type of days? If so, how do you kick it?

18827667.png

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I've had those days! Unfortunately, the only way I can kick that feeling is by working out. You can do this! You'll feel better when you get done.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Want me to insult/motivate you?

Like an army drill sergeant?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    @fatasstobadass - it looks like you've lost 120 pounds - is that right? Way to go! Did your friends and family workout with you that whole time? None of mine have ever worked out with me. Well, I had an ex who almost killed me on the tennis court, but that doesn't count...

But, yeah, lots of times I don't want to and force myself. Like today. It was really hot and the last thing I wanted to do was garden. But I got out there anyway and am glad I did.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I'm having a horrible workout day. I'm on my way to the gym because the park didn't do it for me. I have no motivation, I work out by myself, and all the support I have from my family and friends feels very phony. I say this because if it they really supported me, they would offer to workout with me. I'm utterly discouraged today.

18827667.png

I wouldn't think so. I work out regularly and my hubs supports my fully in that activity. He knows how much I enjoy it and how much it means to me. He, however, does not enjoy working out and is not into it. Doing it with me would not make him very happy. When he's ready to work out, I will support him by working out with him, because I do enjoy it. See the difference?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Why do you expect family and friends to workout with you?

I have these days too. I just go and do what needs to be done. I have a specific routine, so if I miss a workout I'm going to have to cram in a leg or upper body day somewhere else in the week. And I don't want to do that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have them a lot. Typically I just have low energy and get exhausted. Honestly I'd much rather workout alone than with anyone anyway.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

18827667.png

I think you should reevaluate your expectations of your friends and family. Their schedule and plans do not revolve around yours. It looks like you have come a long way, but at the end of the day, this needs to be about you and for you. Be proud of yourself for going to workout on your own. It's hard to not have the support you want, but you do have support. Just my opinion, be more gentle with them.
  • i6Shot
    i6Shot Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Watch any Youtube vid of Ronnie Coleman. Surely he will get you Psyched!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

18827667.png

You go work out because you want to and because you want the results more than you want the day off.

Other people should work out with you if they really support you?

no my friend.

You are losing weight and exercising for yourself, not anyone else.

Supportive friends and family are ones who do not actively create impediments.

Be glad if everyone around you is that supportive!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    You may need to create a support group to help you, that you feel is truly encouraging. My significant other refuses to work out with me and it can be discouraging at times not to have someone to workout with. I joined a local running group and now have a network of encouraging friends who have similar fitness goals as me. I still have solo workouts throughout the week, but having that group to "brag" or complain when I am struggling has been a huge help to keep me motivated.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Eh. No one works out with me. But some days are just crummy. Power through - I love kickboxing I can punch out all my frustrations. Does your gym offer classes? I serious love boot camp at my gym - killer workout and you have a lot of other people with you supporting you even if you don't know them. And of course I belong to the other kickboxing gym too.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Other than a few times I've convinced my father to join me on walks, I always work out alone. And that's what I prefer to do. Not joining you doesn't equal not supporting you
  • z304
    z304 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think about how much better I'll feel after I've worked out, physically and mentally/emotionally. As soon as I get up to put my sneakers on I start telling myself I'm really glad I'm working out and it's going to be good.

& I'd say that you're on your way to the gym means you are motivated, even if it doesn't feel like it.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I don't think that you should expect them to work out with you. This is your journey and your choice, not theirs. They can be supportive in whichever way is best or easiest for them, not you. You need to find motivation from within. You have lost a lot thus far, you can continue to do so.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I honestly prefer doing my own thing, I work out at home alone, sure some days I'd rather not but I do it and it's over with before I know it. You're doing a great thing for yourself, take pride in that and enjoy it, you soon won't need the validation of others who aren't on the same path or in the same place as you right now.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you need anyone to work out with you? You need to decide to do this for you, because of you and not because you want or expect a reaction from someone else. Did the support you while you were gaining weight?
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out alone; I don't want anybody else seeing how pathetic I am. However, I did just recently get a new puppy who is going to be my new jogging buddy. I like dogs better than people, and I won't worry about being judged by her.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I had exactly NO support at all for my workouts or goals; my wife and mother in law thought I was losing weight too much and too fast - at dropping to ideal weight and a pound a week on average.

If you're in the similar boat, do it for you. NOTHING is harder because I'm more fit, and a lot of things are easier.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that I understand where you are coming from or exactly what the problem is.

My feeling is that any day that you are physically able to work out is a good day!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The fact is, no one is obligated to support you. Would it be nice? Sure. But it's not fair for you to expect it, and you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you do.