Seriously struggling to eat enough with exercise calories

Options

Replies

• sw6709
    sw6709 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If i were to only eat when I was hungry I would most likely skip dinner everynight. I often end up eating dinner at 9pm because I cant stomach anything earlier than that because I'm still full from lunch and my afternoon snack (which I dont always eat either)
  • SkinneeAgain
    Options
    Try low carb fruits, berries, clementines, kiwi before your work out and low fat protein after. You'll have energy for your work out and help build muscle by eating protein after. And the muscle will boost your metabolism so you're in a healthy catch 22.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    yeah..hard to generate pity for you. drink olive oil? and also.. how did you get overweight if you eat like a bird naturally?

I hate it when people say things like that. I was overweight as a teenager and used to barely eat. I used to get a bread roll for my lunch, nothing else, eat maybe cereal for breakfast and a healthy dinner (my parents never got junk food for us. I didn't try a take-away until I was in my 2nd year of university!)

I ruined my metabolism by starving myself, and then I put on weight in my pregnancies because I ate normally and cut down on exercise.

Now I am sensible! But some days I struggle to eat all my calories.

I agree with some previous advice - eat something like peanut butter or avocado or yoghurt, or a small handful of almonds.

Definitely This!!!! Oh and good luck. Add healthy snacks in here and there, don't try to force it upon yourself all at once or it will seem to overwhelming.
  • sw6709
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! I'm just worried about staying over the 1200 net calories most days i usually add an extra snack to get myself over 1200, I'm worried if I only eat when I'm hungry I will be eating too little and slow my metabolism right down.
  • sw6709
    Options
    Also I've opened up my diary so you may be able to give me some better advice. Thanks again for all the suggestions! :)
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Ms. Amber, One last thing; see your doctor to discuss your concerns. I feel strongly that he will suggest you change the times you eat and recommend food items you should consume daily. Every weight problem can be overcome. Also, ask the doctor to determine whether, or not, you have an eating disorder. My best, ****

I don't even understand how that post is a) relevant or b) appropriate

tumblr_lqsxsvFED11r2183po1_500.gif

I agree. Very odd feedback. Nothing she said on the post suggests a eating disorder. I haven't checked her profile but as far as the post goes, a big over reaction. Here is a though, eat if ur hungry. Not listening to our bodies is what gets most people in trouble.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I do not believe this. Make a protein shake add some lowfat milk some frozen berries preotein powder and some peanut butter 600 calories right there. Unless you have had gastric bypass should be no problem and thats abou 8 ounces..lol. fuller fat yogurt , nuts, 4 small squares dark chocolate has 250 calories. so with JUST a shake and some chocolate you are talking almost 900 calories.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Oh wait, she mentions past eating disorder in her post later. That till doesn't mean she has a eating disorder now just bc she's shy 200 to 400 calories.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Also I've opened up my diary so you may be able to give me some better advice. Thanks again for all the suggestions! :)
    hardly any grainsfats or dairy for lunch or dinner. A balanced meal is a fat a protrein and a carb and veg or fruit. Your lunch is some fish and a bit of veg. looks like you are restricting 1/6 cup egg whites> really?
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Two words:

Dairly Queen

Haagan Dazs

Blue Bunny

Blue Bell

Baskin Robins

Ben & Jerry's

ICE CREAM!!!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I think that as long as you are eating at least 1200 calories per day ON AVERAGE, you are golden. You might be under your calorie goal one day, over another day, but in the end - it will be o.k.
  • sw6709
    Options
    hardly any grainsfats or dairy for lunch or dinner. A balanced meal is a fat a protrein and a carb and veg or fruit. Your lunch is some fish and a bit of veg. looks like you are restricting 1/6 cup egg whites> really?

I probably should have stated I dont really like breads and other carbs, I've never really been a fan of them. They fill me up too much and often give me that uncomfortable feeling (no pain just uncomfortably full). I do try my best to reach as close to my carb goals as possible everyday. And as for the eggwhites it was simply because I had already ate the 2 slices of bread and knew I needed something else with it but wasnt really hungry so I added an egg and some eggwhite to fill up the pan. I usually have one egg and 2 egg whites and at times add in veggies as well.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You seem to have fallen for the whole eat clean, avoid fat like the plague mentality.
    You are setting yourself up for failure by going to extremes with your eating.
    Add some butter to your vegetables, have a tbsp. of peanut butter with your fruit, have full fat yoghurt and cheese, add in a sweet potato here and there, it really isn't that hard. And if the worst comes to the worst, do what many on here do, and allow 20% of your calories to comprise of whatever you fancy, even if that is a chocolate bar or serving of ice cream. Stop making excuses for why you cannot follow the suggestions here and look to adding in some higher calorie foods.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    yeah..hard to generate pity for you. drink olive oil? and also.. how did you get overweight if you eat like a bird naturally?

I wonder too. :huh:

Lots of people don't eat much in quantity but eat calorie dense junk food. Cut the junk food out, switch it for a lot of veggies and then it seems like you can eat massive amounts compared to before.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Have a beer?

Awesome! ????????
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options

I hate it when people say things like that. I was overweight as a teenager and used to barely eat. I used to get a bread roll for my lunch, nothing else, eat maybe cereal for breakfast and a healthy dinner (my parents never got junk food for us. I didn't try a take-away until I was in my 2nd year of university!)

I ruined my metabolism by starving myself, and then I put on weight in my pregnancies because I ate normally and cut down on exercise.

What did you do to kick start your metabolism back , I deal with this same issue I'm OVER WEIGHT but I never ate until now, and I can't eat all those calories , in a way we are lucky but it is a struggle when your not only trying to lose weight but be healthy and that means healthy metabolism too .....I hear there are medications but is that necessary?? I eat all stated above and have lost 7 pound in the past week and a half just by eating better ( more) and excersice BUT I am on my second day of insanity and I need those extra calories !! But I feel like I'm having to totally stuff my face and become uncomfortable as well :(

I agree with some previous advice - eat something like peanut butter or avocado or yoghurt, or a small handful of almonds.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options

What did you do to kick start your metabolism back , I deal with this same issue I'm OVER WEIGHT but I never ate until now, and I can't eat all those calories , in a way we are lucky but it is a struggle when your not only trying to lose weight but be healthy and that means healthy metabolism too .....I hear there are medications but is that necessary?? I eat all stated above and have lost 7 pound in the past week and a half just by eating better ( more) and excersice BUT I am on my second day of insanity and I need those extra calories !! But I feel like I'm having to totally stuff my face and become uncomfortable as well :(

The only way to "kickstart" or "reset" your metabolism is to eat at your TDEE for a period of time. A period long enough to that your weight levels out and you are no longer restricting food. From there, you would take a small deficit to lose any fat you may need to lose. Small deficit as in up to 500 calories per day off of your TDEE. It's the slow way to lose the weight but it's the healthy and correct way to do it.
  • sw6709
    Options
    You seem to have fallen for the whole eat clean, avoid fat like the plague mentality.
    You are setting yourself up for failure by going to extremes with your eating.
    Add some butter to your vegetables, have a tbsp. of peanut butter with your fruit, have full fat yoghurt and cheese, add in a sweet potato here and there, it really isn't that hard. And if the worst comes to the worst, do what many on here do, and allow 20% of your calories to comprise of whatever you fancy, even if that is a chocolate bar or serving of ice cream. Stop making excuses for why you cannot follow the suggestions here and look to adding in some higher calorie foods.
    No need to be rude, and I am definately not making excuses I am trying to give additional information that may be relevent. I am trying to do many of the things you are saying, you must not have looked far enough back in my diary if you looked at all. I eat apples and peanut butter together usually, not every day though, or even have peanut butter by its self (I looove the stuff!) I have bought more yogurt that is not nonfat, I loove sweet potato so I've been having it a few times a week. the only thing I dont do of what you listed is use butter. I use margarine instead of butter because thats all we had in the house growing up and wasnt really aware it wasnt that good for you. I will try to use that now instead.
    Thanks for your suggestions
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options

The only way to "kickstart" or "reset" your metabolism is to eat at your TDEE for a period of time. A period long enough to that your weight levels out and you are no longer restricting food. From there, you would take a small deficit to lose any fat you may need to lose. Small deficit as in up to 500 calories per day off of your TDEE. It's the slow way to lose the weight but it's the healthy and correct way to do it.

I agree with raising calories if there is a stall in metabolism, but are you sure this is the case? Also...you can't just expect someone to all of a sudden eat at their tdee when (or if) they have been eating at a much lower rate for a long time. A gradual increase would seem to be an easier and safer way to adjust calories whether raising or lowering the amount.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you're really having trouble, eat in smaller meals several times a day.
    Or skip that and have 2 or 3 real, decent sized meals a day, including some fats like butter, olive oil, cheese, nuts, etc... Skip all those snacks you aren't hungry for and give yourself a chance to get hungry.