what to do in time off?

Options
dogcatac
dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
what do you all do when you have to take time off? i am going nuts over here waiting for my shoulder to feel better. any suggestions or stories about your experience taking a few weeks off or longer because of injury?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    A short short time ago in a galaxy not very far away, I hurt my knee. I rested it and did my rehab work. It got better. The end.
  • dogcatac
    Options
    lol thanks that is EXTREMELY useful to me in my current situation.
  • tspencer824
    tspencer824 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Legs for days!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I'd catch up on my reading while I was keeping my eating in check.
  • dogcatac
    Options
    Frankly, I'd catch up on my reading while I was keeping my eating in check.
    that's what i'm doing right now. haha read anything good recently?

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    dogcatac wrote: »
    what do you all do when you have to take time off? i am going nuts over here waiting for my shoulder to feel better. any suggestions or stories about your experience taking a few weeks off or longer because of injury?

I was miserable with my shoulder injury. Can you do other stuff? I couldn't even hold a barbell for legs. I eventually started walking a lot and used some machines for legs. Even running caused pain. Definitely watch the calories and try to keep moving around.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    It sucks. Focus on rehab, rest, and do what you safely can. With just a shoulder issue, you can still do most cardio. Maybe do some HIIT, bump up the resistance.

For leg stuff, you can do cable knee raises, cable glute kickbacks, maybe light leg press and ham curl if it doesn't bother your shoulder when you sit back, bodyweight RDLs & squats (google for progressions, eg single leg versions), bodyweight back extensions on the roman chair (or with a little bit of weight using your good arm)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I'm a frequently injured runner and skydiver. The best *real* advice I've gotten is to cultivate a non-physical hobby. Learn an instrument, play a video game obsessively, teach yourself photography and Photoshop, whatever sounds appealing. (And relatedly: don't ever damage your dominant wrist, or all of your usual non-physical hobbies will suddenly seem very physical in a way you can't do.)

Or do what I actually do, which is go catatonic and stare at Netflix for a couple months or however long I'm out.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    With my shoudler pain I do a lot of mobility work on it, lots of stretching, foam rolling and you can still workout your legs and do some cardio. Good luck.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Do what you are able to do. Rehab, leg work, walking/running. I've had 6 shoulder operations with 3-6 months of recovery after each plus 2 hand surgeries. You can find plenty to do to keep active.

Good luck.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I take a couple weeks off from the gym every 3 months to let my joints rest up. During that time, I swim or walk or hike. I do lose some strength but not much and get it back in a couple weeks, meanwhile my tennis elbow feels great.