Foods to Get Full From

Options
What are some things that I can eat that would keep me full for some time while I'm at work? Thanks :)

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I find that Quest bars keep me full pretty well. Probably any food with a decent amount of protein, and some fat, would do the same. Peanut butter and celery, small (weighed in advance!) portion of nuts, etc. Salad with protein in it is good too, because of the volume of the vegetables, but probably best for lunch, since it takes so long to eat.
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Protein. Turkey or chicken slices work well. I also slowly eat 1/2 cup of almonds through the morning. They do have a good amount of fat, though. Also, try drinking hot tea or really cold water. Liquid can make you feel fuller and keep your hands occupied.
  • sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have a Premer Protein shake from Costco when I first get to work. I work 12 hour night shifts and I find need to have healthy snack or small meal every 2-3 hours when possible. I typically eat a Lean Cusine & salad about 4 hours after I get to work, then a couple of snacks like popcorn, veggies and yogurt dip or a cheese stick and small piece of fruit.
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    edwardetr wrote: »
    Protein. Turkey or chicken slices work well. I also slowly eat 1/2 cup of almonds through the morning. They do have a good amount of fat, though. Also, try drinking hot tea or really cold water. Liquid can make you feel fuller and keep your hands occupied.

What's wrong with fat?

Broccoli does it for me; especially broccoli sauteed in healthy fats like EVOO or coconut oil.

Add protein and I am zonked hunger wise.

Any simple/processed carbs without a significant amount of protein and/or fiber and I can eat forever.

It's the salad bowl of cereal effect. My brother and I can eat something like Crispix in milk forever....just like half a box if we wake up hungry. Also pasta; we can eat pasta forever with that sweet sugary sauce they pawn off on us....just can eat and eat and eat....chips, fries...etc.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I drank two scoops of whey in 8 ounces of water and ate two slices of stuffed crust ham and bacon pizza from Pizza Hut at 6:00pm last night and I went to bed at 10:00pm full to the brim. It was roughly 1,000 calories.
  • jonnybhoy
    jonnybhoy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    What are some things that I can eat that would keep me full for some time while I'm at work? Thanks :)
    Fat and protein keep you fullest longest followed by complex carbs
  • dc1arkson
    dc1arkson Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I would try zoats one big courgette grated with half a cup of oats and a quarter cup of coconut milk or of water. I usually flavour with Myprotein Flavdrops and some cinnamon. Also a huge bowl of cauliflower rice maybe.
  • sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    Any simple/processed carbs without a significant amount of protein and/or fiber and I can eat forever.

It's the salad bowl of cereal effect. My brother and I can eat something like Crispix in milk forever....just like half a box if we wake up hungry. Also pasta; we can eat pasta forever with that sweet sugary sauce they pawn off on us....just can eat and eat and eat....chips, fries...etc.
    True. My steel cut oats keep me so full in the morning I sometimes have to make myself eat lunch. But that is only when I combine them with good proteins like nuts and milk.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Anything that combines protein and fat. I take 4oz of chicken, mix with salsa and guacamole and I'm full for hours.
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    zaxx1953 wrote: »

What's wrong with fat?

Broccoli does it for me; especially broccoli sauteed in healthy fats like EVOO or coconut oil.

Add protein and I am zonked hunger wise.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with fat except that it is calorie dense. If you have a calorie goal for the day, you can reach it quite easily with fat.

• emilygilman1
    emilygilman1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    One word. Oatmeal. Keeps me full for hours and tastes awesome. Just don't use the flavored instant oatmeal since those tend to have a lot of sugar in them.
  • missball
    missball Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with the oatmeal. My preferred approach, which keeps me super ful and feeling healthy is also one that you can prepare night before. I soak a portion of muesli (with nice big flakes, not the fine Alpen style) in fruit juice, low fat Greek yogurt, and some chopped fruit overnight, then its ready to go straight from the fridge so no excuse to skip breakfast. Add in some nuts and seeds to make the fullness last even longer. It's almost like a cold, fruity and super tasty porridge, beautiful.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    There's no magic answer. You have to find what works for you. A lot of people say that oatmeal keeps them full for hours, but if I have some, I'm hungry 2 hours later... unless I add 400 calories worth of toppings or something...

For me, what works the best is a combination of carbs, fat, and protein. Like that breakfast I got this week - two slices of bread toasted with a bit of butter, a spinach/feta omelette (2 whole eggs, 2 egg whites), and 2 slices of turkey bacon. It was like 400 calories and I was full for 5 hours. For meals I like a protein with veggies and some complex carbs (potato, whole grain pasta). But what works for me one day might not work the next either (I had an English muffin with butter, turkey bacon, and two eggs this morning and was starving 2 hours later) but it might have to do with being female and having annoying hormonal swings.

But typically... protein, fat and fiber are my best bet. Cheese and an apple, apple with nut butter etc are great snacks for me, for example.

(I noticed when I clicked on your profile that we live in the same town. Small world).
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    dc1arkson wrote: »
    I would try zoats one big courgette grated with half a cup of oats and a quarter cup of coconut milk or of water. I usually flavour with Myprotein Flavdrops and some cinnamon. Also a huge bowl of cauliflower rice maybe.
    What are zoats and courgette?
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Keto coffee does it for me or 1 whole avacado and 1 whole tomato w olive oil salt n peppa.
  • Miles_to_Go
    Miles_to_Go Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    What are zoats and courgette?

Courgette is British for zucchini. :)
    Zoats is a combination of zucchini and oats. But if you're British shouldn't that be "coats"?