no shoulder shrugs in the squat rack please......

Options
especially when I am pushed for time and am clearly waiting to use it! grrrrr!

on the other hand, we all pay our membership and are all entitled to use the equipment.......

Replies

• zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Uh what?

That's a POWER rack and heavy shrugs are a power movt.

You need to wait your turn.

Now if you were talking about direct arm work....lol.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Just ask if you can work in?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I don't use your gym - try speaking up and talking to them. Or talk to the staff. Or do a different leg exercise - there are dozens.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Exactly where else in the gym would you like me to set up a bar with hundreds and hundreds of pounds on it and lift it safely and conveniently?
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    in the power cage :-) im not a fan of squats in there (personal preference though!)
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    If the gym is full and there are people waiting to use the power rack, I'll usually use dumbbells or the smith machine for shrugs. What really annoys me are the crossfitters who will take up a platform for 45-60 minutes doing some asinine circuit that involves 95 pound deadlifts.
  • DavPul
    Options
    How does one tell if there are people waiting for the power rack? Is there a list?
  • nguyenlychee
    nguyenlychee Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    How does one tell if there are people waiting for the power rack? Is there a list?

:D
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

You see them hovering around like a vulture, using the cardio equipment for a few minutes and then walking over around the racks looking for the opportunity as someone unloads their bar. They half-*kitten* a dumbbell curl as they look out the corner of their eye for a free rack. It is just like the jungle.

Or at least that is what I do.
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »

You see them hovering around like a vulture, using the cardio equipment for a few minutes and then walking over around the racks looking for the opportunity as someone unloads their bar. They half-*kitten* a dumbbell curl as they look out the corner of their eye for a free rack. It is just like the jungle.

shor0814 wrote: »

funny :-)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - so everyone in the gym should adjust their routine around how much time you have? sorry, it does not work that way. If someone is in the squat racks at my gym I either ask if I can work in, or just, you know, wait until they are done. OR, you could do lunges, or some other leg exercise while you wait for said rack to open up.

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    And how does blowing steam on a public online forum going to help your situation at all?

Stop complaining, start doing. If you're not going to do anything about it, you have no right to complain.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    The shrug bar is popular with deadlift people.

So there is a gym policy, no crying about what others are doing. They paid and try to be considerate of others as they are considerate of you.

I do that one of using the shrug bar for heavy deads. Keeps the skin on my shins

We have 5 stations to potentially do squats and 2 hack machines and leg sleds... Still gets full. But there may be 150 people there at one time

Looking down on one section of the weight room from second floor cardio area.

ely36k98xhs7.jpg

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

No, they come up and ask how much longer you're going to be. I thought that was pretty obvious.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Shrugs actually work the traps, not delts

but I agree, you can grab a bar from the incline bench that no one ever uses and deadlift it to shrug.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I don't use your gym - try speaking up and talking to them. Or talk to the staff. Or do a different leg exercise - there are dozens.

This.

It's like all those Facebook statuses that say crap like, "Dear lady in front of me gabbing away on your cell phone.."
    WTF good is it to post something like that? Just ask that chick to keep it down?

My gym-trick, that I swear works 9 times out of 10: "How many sets do you have left?"
    Whenever I ask that, they're always miraculously on their last one, then I jump right in.
    Seriously, it's like magic. It's a polite way of conveying that they've been there a while, and you're waiting. :)
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

This.

It's like all those Facebook statuses that say crap like, "Dear lady in front of me gabbing away on your cell phone.."
    WTF good is it to post something like that? Just ask that chick to keep it down?

My gym-trick, that I swear works 9 times out of 10: "How many sets do you have left?"
    Whenever I ask that, they're always miraculously on their last one, then I jump right in.
    Seriously, it's like magic. It's a polite way of conveying that they've been there a while, and you're waiting. :)

I agree, this magic has proven to be very useful,or even the "Can we share this and have a go each?"
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym first thing in the morning..especially on Sat/Sun morning. Everyone else is nursing a hangover so you have the gym to yourself.
  • DavPul
    edited July 2015
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    Shrugs actually work the traps, not delts

but I agree, you can grab a bar from the incline bench that no one ever uses and deadlift it to shrug.

true, but in your gym you hear people refer to them and "trap shrugs" very often? plus i can shrug my shoulders, but i'm not certain i can shrug my traps, just contract them. perhaps you'd like to OP to title the threan "no trap contractions in the squat rack please"?
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options

i was thinking this just the other day. maybe we should put a coin on the wrack like you do for pool?