Aqua Rehab for Knee pain

Options
I've developed knee pain over the past month so yesterday I went to my orthopedist and had an X-ray. It turns out I have Arthritis in my right knee and have been favoring my left leg, so have lost some strength in my quadriceps.

He gave me a cortisone shot and a referral to PT for six weeks to learn how to rehab this. Of course I couldn't get an appointment until next week.

So, a friend of mine is an aquatic rehab expert who certifies people for orthopedic injuries and chronic conditions. This is a total knee rehab approach she suggested. It includes land stuff, but since I'm going to be doing land PT, I'm only using the aqua workout.

http://completept.com/pages/Knee.pdf

Luckily, my YMCA has a multipurpose lane open first thing every morning and I do a regular weight routine in the gym, so first thing today, I'm adding this to my regular routine. I'd bet the PT (doctorate and all), won't be aware of the benefits of this. :o

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to add to your water routine at all--just straight-up pool running is *great* for your quads. With or without a flotation belt. :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm an aquatic fitness instructor. And the person from whom I downloaded the pdf is the owner of an international company that certifies people in orthopedic rehab. I believe that doing more than running is, in my educated opinion, a preferable approach.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm an aquatic fitness instructor. And the person from whom I downloaded the pdf is the owner of an international company that certifies people in orthopedic rehab. I believe that doing more than running is, in my educated opinion, a preferable approach.

Yup! I agree (and have a lot of respect for your experience in the water). That's why I suggested *adding* running, if you or anyone else reading this wanted. :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    :):D<3