Compliments :-\

Options
So I've just moved to a new location for the summer and most of the people here haven't seen me since I was at my heavist (20 lbs ago). Naturally the past week has been filled with complents and because of that I've been slacking and for the first time in four months of using MFP I gained a pound this week. I have a goal 10 lbs away that I am comitted to hitting so now I feel awful. Any advice on how to take compliments in a way that encourages further success instead of hindering it? Am I completely crazy for feeling like compliments make my life harder?

Replies

• nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    Oh my goodness. I know exactly where you're coming from. I'm sorry to see that this is happening to somebody else as well. When I first joined WW, I was able to drop over 40 pounds, and I got all these compliments and my self confidence just shot through the roof. It was the first time that I ever felt that good about myself. But everything soon backfired on me, and I got way too cocky, and I started gaining the weight back, and managed to put on 20 pounds. All I can suggest to do is just to take those compliments as they come, appreciate them, but don't let them get to your head. Don't let them make you feel like you've already come far enough, or have done good enough. Don't just settle for second best. View those compliments as little tokens that you're getting along your journey. I hope this helps. Best of luck to you in the future.
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    I unerstand, for some stupid reason when I weigh myself and I have lost weight I start eating, a lot! Sorry you have to go through that. Just start fresh asap and put this behind you.
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    I used to get that way a lot too especially when the compliments were more along the lines of "you've lost enough weight, you don't need to lose any more" or ones that aren't really compliments, like "you're getting too skinny!" which has never been the case, by the way!

I've gotten to a point where I just tell myself that feeling good and thin and knowing how well my clothes fit feels so much better than anything naughty I can put in my mouth to sabotage my efforts. It sounds simple and common sense, but I know it's a lot easier said than done. It really isn't that easy to talk yourself into staying on track, but practice makes perfect. I've been dealing with weight issues my whole life and this is the first time where I feel like it's a lifestyle change...forever. That's huge.

Good luck, you can do it!