Opening myself up to suggestions

Options
GettingHealthyWithShelly
GettingHealthyWithShelly Posts: 23 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Background:
160cms - 5'3 / 36 yrs old / F / 132.1 kg - 291.2 lbs - 20.8 stone / Goal weight of 65 kg - 143.3 lbs - 10.2 stone

I joined MFP 6 weeks ago (06/06/15). Ive set my goals to lose 0.5kg pw (1 lb), at a Sedentary activity level. I don't exercise. I walk 5 days a week to get myself to 12,000 steps (over the course of the day), 2 days a week I rest and so my steps are only 3,000 - 5,000 steps. I don't weigh my food, i do however write it all down ( I have a total of 1,930 Calories to eat a day. )

Ive spent the last 6 weeks building the habit of recording what I eat, and making sure I get my 12,000 steps 5 days a week. I have lost 6.6kg ( 14.5 lbs) over the last 6 weeks, about 1kg ( 2lbs) per week. I hardly eat back my "exercise" calories, and if I do its only by 20 cals or so.

Now I want to make sure I am doing right by my body. My food diary is open ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/GettingHealthyWithShelly ). Any suggestions on improvements (food wise, exercise wise) would be appreciated.

I know that measuring all my food/liquids on the scale is one improvement. Im kinda lost at how I am losing 1kg a week by just watching what I eat. Maybe someone can explain what is happening there to me too.

Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    First, yes you are exercising and that's great! However, if you continue to just keep the pace at a minimum your losing streak might come to a stall. You're eating at a deficit so that's why you're losing and watching what you eat is perhaps the most critical part!

Going forward keep doing what you're doing but up the intensity. Hit some steps, hills, jog for 30 seconds then walk 1 minute and increase the jog time as you get more able/fit.

Use MFP to accurately log your foods. I would look at your diary but it says private...as you up the intensity you may find you need more food. Search threads for "eating back exercise calories".

• GettingHealthyWithShelly
    Options
    bmchenry02 wrote: »
    Use MFP to accurately log your foods. I would look at your diary but it says private...

Strange, on my end it says its public. I'll see if I can fix that. Thanks for words. I dont count 12,000 steps over a 24 hr period exercise, but I see what you mean as well =)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. :)
    Losing weight is mostly about decreasing food (some say about 80% food and 20% exercise).
    You can add some vegetables and fruits. You will depend on low calorie veggies as you get closer to goal.
    Some people would prefer fewer carbs but since you are losing weight it does not matter much for now.
    Regarding exercise: be gentle on your feet.
    If you can start weight lifting, you will find great benefits. YouTube has videos that do not require majorly special equipment or much space.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    You seem to be drinking a lot of your calories - vanilla coke, cappuccinos etc. If you switched to water you could knock a few hundred calories off a day, or use those calories for more filling foods.
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Congrats on your weight loss. :)
    Regarding exercise: be gentle on your feet.

Yes, I currently have Plantar Fasciitis so I am very careful with my feet =) And I will some lovely fruit and veggies in the mix. I did see that I dont really eat enough of them.
    Options
    You seem to be drinking a lot of your calories - vanilla coke, cappuccinos etc. If you switched to water you could knock a few hundred calories off a day, or use those calories for more filling foods.

Yep, the capps today were because i was out with friends. Vanilla coke I only have when i eat red rooster (an Australian roast chicken take away store). But yes, they could be put to better usage. Also love the name =) (now i feel like bree lol)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are off to a good start, you have taken some small steps (logging) and some big ones (12,000 steps a day really is exercise). You are losing weight, at the rate you wanted, 1 lb/week, right? You know that using a food scale would be another good thing to start using, to ensure that you are logging as accurately as possible. You also are receptive to the idea of getting more nutrient dense foods like fruits and vegetables in your day.
    I would suggest if you haven't already, to read the announcement posts at the top of the getting started forum section, as they have links to helpful threads in there where you may get other good advice.
  • tyediri
    tyediri Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Agreed with this.

I would also try not to leave too much of a deficit as it is harder to maintain long term. Try to at least eat up to your recommended daily calories before the exercise is counted (I myself eat my exercise calories also, but I weigh everything).

Congratulations on your weight loss! That is an impressive amount! :smile:

• tyediri
    tyediri Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Also, if you like your cola, maybe switch to diet or to Coca Cola Life. A lot less calories! xx
    Options
    tyediri wrote: »
    Also, if you like your cola, maybe switch to diet or to Coca Cola Life. A lot less calories! xx

not one for fake sugar. Also since its normally once a week, didnt really think about it. but sugar wise and calorie wise, when I have Red rooster, i'll just swap to water =)
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Sounds like you are off to a good start, you have taken some small steps (logging) and some big ones (12,000 steps a day really is exercise). You are losing weight, at the rate you wanted, 1 lb/week, right? You know that using a food scale would be another good thing to start using, to ensure that you are logging as accurately as possible. You also are receptive to the idea of getting more nutrient dense foods like fruits and vegetables in your day.
    I would suggest if you haven't already, to read the announcement posts at the top of the getting started forum section, as they have links to helpful threads in there where you may get other good advice.

Will start to read those now, I'm actually losing double of what I wanted. I want to get healthy correctly, slow and steady. the only thing i can think of is its because i leave too much of a deficit.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Will start to read those now, I'm actually losing double of what I wanted. I want to get healthy correctly, slow and steady. the only thing i can think of is its because i leave too much of a deficit.

Ahh, sorry, I missed that. Well 6 weeks isn't a lot of time, many people lose a lot off the bat and then things sort of settle down into a more predictable (and sometimes frustrating ) pattern.

Definitely read the stickies and good luck.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    It is how I lost weight in the far flung pre-MFP past. I simply kept a notebook where I recorded everything, but did not bother with those huge caolrie tables on paper that existed then. I think by recording I created awareness of what I actually ate vs what I thought with that awareness of I ate I reduced my calories.
    t