Low Calorie Hacks

Options
Hi all my names dean I have lost over 16stone all through diet and exercise, I wanted to see who has them secret low calorie hacks we all love.
I have a few that I do most days along with my pretty clean eating; sugar free jelly is one of these things I usually have and I normally have two pints at a time, it's a great filler and even more its under 80cals. Another is zero fat fromage fais (tesco is the lowest calorie) or zero fat Greek yogurt I usually have these mixed with some zero cal myprotein Flavdrops and they're amazing! I have zoats everyday without fail I mix one grated courgette with half a cup of oats and one third coconut milk this has cut my oats but kept the same amount, I also add flavdrops to this too... Trust me it's amazing. And finally one of my favourite things is cauliflower rice! So so good it's unreal and well it's a cauliflower.
Please if you have similar Hack let's all share!?
Feel free to add me also I would love to have more friends on here thanks

Replies

• kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Nice job! I don't really have many 'hacks', unless you count water instead of milk in oats and almond milk instead of 1% milk.
    Curious about the zoats though, do they taste funny? Do you eat them plain or with some kind of sweetener? I normally have porridge oats with jam or chocolate spread to sweeten it.
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Hi Dean, great job!! You mention many things I've never even heard of! lol.

I don't have many interesting hacks but I do like no or low fat cottage cheese for protein boost. 1 Tbsp ground flax added to almost anything for fiber boost.

I found a Renee's Fat Free Caesar dressing that has 5 cals per tbsp!
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I love skim milk with this chocolate mix I found. It's like 60 cals for a cup full (mainly from the milk), it's super duper chocolatey and kills the cravings. Dairy fills me up really well so I found it works great (one square of chocolate is not enough dammit!) and the fact you sip it rather than three chews and it's gone means I get to put tasty food in my mouth for 20 minutes rather than 20 seconds haha. It's the only time so far, that I would rather drink my calories.

I have started to look into other low calorie options too, the jelly seems like a good idea... I want value for points and it seems like a good start.
  • dpurzer
    dpurzer Posts: 17 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hey Dean, awesome topic!

Fat free cottage cheese on Pumpernickel is my power-fill hack.
    Unsalted rice cake for destroying the crunchy-crave...
    Soup soup soup; personally I could eat soup for every meal: Traditional Andalusian gazpacho is great during these hot summer months.
    Homemade chia puddings for sweet tooth moments.
  • dc1arkson
    dc1arkson Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    kazminchu wrote: »
    Nice job! I don't really have many 'hacks', unless you count water instead of milk in oats and almond milk instead of 1% milk.
    Curious about the zoats though, do they taste funny? Do you eat them plain or with some kind of sweetener? I normally have porridge oats with jam or chocolate spread to sweeten it.

Zoats are amazing cause the courgette takes on the taste so the Flavdrops I use sweeten it at no extra calorie adage, also some times use the sugar free Myprotein syrup butterscotch flavour as one huge bottle is only 16cals it's great!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Flavdrops are ace.

I have the banana ones in coffee. Sounds weird but tastes great.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I actually don't do purposeful "low calorie" foods. I don't eliminate sugar or fats from my diet as I don't have a medical issue that would require me to.

however I do love greek yogurt and right now fresh cherries and pepperoni sticks, egg salad sandwiches on thick olive oil bread with avocado...bacon...
  • heyyoutoo
    heyyoutoo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened vanilla almond milk with zero calorie chocolate drops, 60 calories per cup. I also second the sugar-free Jello, 10 calories. Sugar-free popcicles have 15 calories. I love the popcicles after a run.
  • dc1arkson
    Options
    i61fpw7ev2vv.jpg

This is also another Low cal hack I found this is so amazing with any kind of milk soya/almond/coconut or even just skimmed, it comes out like a frappé but is under 50cals. I ask for this in Starbucks and Costa and it's amazing! 7fc9ai55clv0.jpg
  • dc1arkson
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Flavdrops are ace.

I have the banana ones in coffee. Sounds weird but tastes great.

Ah mate banana ones in coffee and fat free yogurt are amazing!
  • dc1arkson
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I actually don't do purposeful "low calorie" foods. I don't eliminate sugar or fats from my diet as I don't have a medical issue that would require me to.

however I do love greek yogurt and right now fresh cherries and pepperoni sticks, egg salad sandwiches on thick olive oil bread with avocado...bacon...

Ah very good!
  • dc1arkson
    Options
    heyyoutoo wrote: »
    Unsweetened vanilla almond milk with zero calorie chocolate drops, 60 calories per cup. I also second the sugar-free Jello, 10 calories. Sugar-free popcicles have 15 calories. I love the popcicles after a run.

Need to try that chocolate milk! I have just got some chocolate flavdrops, ty!
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    You've lost over 16 stone? That's 224lbs, wow! When I started out I weighed 15st/211lbs, so you've lost a whole me plus more! Amazing job, well done :)
    As for low cal 'hacks', I like cherry tomatoes. I add salt to them so they're the perfect mix of sweet and salty, and really low calorie. Plus if they go soft and yucky I can just make pasta sauce out of them! I also second sugar free jelly, since it's hardly any calories at all and quite filling. I love making it with half diet lemonade, because then you get fizzy jelly for just a few calories more - plus adding fruit makes it even better.
  • dc1arkson
    Options
    You've lost over 16 stone? That's 224lbs, wow! When I started out I weighed 15st/211lbs, so you've lost a whole me plus more! Amazing job, well done :)
    As for low cal 'hacks', I like cherry tomatoes. I add salt to them so they're the perfect mix of sweet and salty, and really low calorie. Plus if they go soft and yucky I can just make pasta sauce out of them! I also second sugar free jelly, since it's hardly any calories at all and quite filling. I love making it with half diet lemonade, because then you get fizzy jelly for just a few calories more - plus adding fruit makes it even better.

Thank you! 237lbs is what I have lost to date. Love the sound of the tomato idea
  • belle_reve9
    belle_reve9 Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Flavdrops?? That sounds interesting.
    Dean! Great job on the weight loss. You look great.
    This isn't that extraordinary, but I like to mix up a couple of tablespoons of PB2 and dip whatever is around into it! Animal crackers, apples, graham crackers. I feel like I can eat all the PB I want (to an extent) and not have to feel bad about it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I am a pasta lover so I switched to Fiber Gourmet pasta, which has 1/2 the calories of regular, but is still pasta.
    That's about the only hack I have.

Most of my dairy is either reduced fat or fat free, and I sometimes use artificial sweeteners, if those count as hacks.

What are theses flavdrops you speak of? I must google that.
  • dc1arkson
    Options
    Flavdrops?? That sounds interesting.
    Dean! Great job on the weight loss. You look great.
    This isn't that extraordinary, but I like to mix up a couple of tablespoons of PB2 and dip whatever is around into it! Animal crackers, apples, graham crackers. I feel like I can eat all the PB I want (to an extent) and not have to feel bad about it.

http://m.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/flavdrops/10530471.html my favourite is maple and the banana at the moment! I really need to look up PB2 ty!
  • belle_reve9
    belle_reve9 Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    http://m.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/flavdrops/10530471.html my favourite is maple and the banana at the moment! I really need to look up PB2 ty! [/quote]

I'd like to try those!!! PB2 is amazing!! Mix a little water with the powder, tastes just like Peanut butter. But with only 45 calories for 2 tablespoons.
  • aprtut564
    aprtut564 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Best one have is ZOODLES!!
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/10/vegetable-noodles-are-going-to-change-everything_n_5112928.html
    I love using zucchini as my zoodles (or use spaghetti squash!) and top with thick pasta (meat) sauce on it.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    -Squash (zucchini, spaghetti squash, crookneck) with bolognese sauce instead of noodles
    -salsa/pico de gallo instead of salad dressing
    -Lately I've been wanting nachos so I've been heating up chicken, beans, and cheese and having it over half a serving of tortilla chips on a bed of lettuce

I haven't made jello in a long time and I know I have a box of sugar free lurking in my cabinet--maybe I'll make that for my next sweet craving.