Over 40 year old weight loss

Options
Hi I'm 43 and struggling so hard with getting the scales to move. I track everything and I'm not seeing results. I picked up a copy of a book called Happy Hormones Slim Belly. Has anyone read it and used it? Or does anyone else over 40 have this problem too?

Replies

• AnnaBellQ14
    AnnaBellQ14 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    mhooge wrote: »
    Hi I'm 43 and struggling so hard with getting the scales to move. I track everything and I'm not seeing results. I picked up a copy of a book called Happy Hormones Slim Belly. Has anyone read it and used it? Or does anyone else over 40 have this problem too?

I'm 42 and I have been able to lose 31 lbs so far. It took over a year though. I found that I had to be really honest about what I ate and log it accurately. I also started walking a few months back and that helped.
  • tonyajclark16
    tonyajclark16 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Im 42 and I just recently started my journey. I must say im 3 weeks in and I feel the difference mentally and physically. I watch my calorie intake, walk and exercise.
  • mrsderekwelch
    mrsderekwelch Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a 43 year old grandmother...I struggled with weight for while with no success...FINALLY, I've lost 10 pounds, and counting. I know it's different for everyone, but I was able to find what worked for me...It can be done, don't give up!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't make much/any difference.

I'm forty and have lost more than 90 pounds, even with severe metabolic issues not related to age.

Start logging carefully, learn what works for your body and go from there. Good luck!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'm 47. I lost the weight by learning to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I have not read the book you mention but I'm 51 yo and have lost weight several times in my life. Once I got near menopause hormones definitely made thing more challenging. Perimenopause is a b****!! But, I am losing. It's not impossible, just not as easy as it used to be.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Once I got near menopause hormones definitely made thing more challenging. Perimenopause is a b****!! But I am losing. It's not impossible, just not as easy as it used to be.

MFP has a Near- or Post-Menopausal group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    53, lost approx. 40lbs from January ... having said that, currently I am the most active I have ever been, so must be going more daft when age progresses
  • ClanMacDonald
    ClanMacDonald Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great to hear others success stories. I am just starting my weight loss journey and am logging honestly as you all suggest. Fingers and toes crossed it works. Thanks all.
  • jeannettemancini
    jeannettemancini Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I know people say it doesn't matter, but I did this when I was about 30, and I had no issues.. I tracked calories, and exercised, and without being overly careful, the weight just fell off.

now, 12 years and 3 kids later, and it feels like if I even put an extra morsel in my mouth, I don't loose that week.

I have lost 30ish Lbs this year, and about 10 before this year, so I'm not saying it doesn't work... it does. I just find I have to try MUCH harder to get the same results.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I actually believe it's an excuse. I think for some it's harder to lose because they are less active and have less musculature

The answer is to move more and lift heavy as you eat to a calorie defecit

For others it's actually easier, once you get rid of the noise of the dieting industry and just have that to focus on ...calorie defecit and working on musculature.

<< lost 55lbs (and 20 years, and asthma meds) at 47

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I actually believe it's an excuse. I think for some it's harder to lose because they are less active and have less musculature

For others it's actually easier, once you get rid of the noise of the dieting industry and just have that to focus on ...calorie defecit and working on musculature.

Frankly, that seems pretty condescending. First of all, no one in this thread has suggested weight can’t be lost so not sure what excuse you think is being made. If it was easier for you, congratulations on your luck.

Not sure what is meant by "and 20 years". How does one lose years? And why would you want to?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Condescending? Right. I disagree but feel free to read whatever tone you care to into my post.

I was responding to the posters complaining that it is harder because of age ...I don't believe it is...feel free to convince me otherwise

As for the n=1 personal example. I feel, and look, 20 years younger by being fitter, stronger, and yes having a much lower body fat %. To be honest I thought the meaning was pretty clear from the context (now that one was slightly condescending I'll admit :smiley: )
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    Options

That might very well all be true, but for someone like my mom, who is in her 60s and never did much strength training, it is very difficult to just pick it up. She is not as flexible or limber as she was 30 years ago and she has knee trouble and already has osteoporosis. If she had started in her 40s it might be a different story. She still does a lot of cardio, but her doctor is satisfied as long as she doesn't gain weight, even though she is technically "overweight" right now.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Hormones affect weight loss, that is fact. Many women experience hormonal problems when aging, espeically during perimenopause, and this can affect weight loss. For everyone? Certainly not. But for some? Absolutely.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    MarilynTC wrote: »
    For someone like my mom, who is in her 60s and never did much strength training, it is very difficult to just pick it up. She is not as flexible or limber as she was 30 years ago and she has knee trouble and already has osteoporosis. If she had started in her 40s it might be a different story. She still does a lot of cardio, but her doctor is satisfied as long as she doesn't gain weight, even though she is technically "overweight" right now.

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn. Exercise for fitness; log to lose weight. Logging works—at every age.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    MarilynTC wrote: »

That might very well all be true, but for someone like my mom, who is in her 60s and never did much strength training, it is very difficult to just pick it up. She is not as flexible or limber as she was 30 years ago and she has knee trouble and already has osteoporosis. If she had started in her 40s it might be a different story. She still does a lot of cardio, but her doctor is satisfied as long as she doesn't gain weight, even though she is technically "overweight" right now.

Lifting or any kind of resistance work has only recently become part of the female fitness vocabulary apart from some outliers, to my knowledge, and I think that is a mighty shame. It has been a total relevation to me

I'm pretty sure there are resistance exercises that your mother can learn, from a good med team physio that can still help her ...but if she and her medics are happy with her general health then doing something different would be very much a personal choice
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it a small bit slower and harder (lose 10 lbs in the first month instead of 13lbs) compared to my early 30's. Part of it may be age, I am probably getting close to perimenopause, and part of it is fitness and time. I was definitely more fit in my 30's. I still gained muscle with very little effort and didn't seem to lose it. Now, muscle gains are slower and if I am less active I can feel how I lose muscles faster now - we lose muscle faster as we get into middle age.

I also had less time. When it was just me and my husband I could focus a LOT more time on me without a problem. Now, with three kids at home all of the time, it is more difficult to focus on me. Not impossible but more difficult.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I agree, if you can add weights into your workouts you will see much better results. Start slowly, and gradually your strength will increase. I am 42, and I had to start out slower and lower than I did at 30, but now I lift as heavy as I can. I struggle with my eating the most, but because of the weights I am really seeing changes in my body.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,955 Member
    Options
    I checked out Happy Hormones Slim Belly on Amazon and want to warn anyone thinking of getting it that there are a ton of reviews saying it's not compatible with Kindle.

Looks like you drastically reduce carbs two days per week and then eat a moderately reduced amount of carbs the other five days? I also saw something about separating carbs from protein for three hours. I think that was on the two "skinny" days. I tried this back in the 90s after Fit for Life came out and this didn't work for me, however my aunt and other people I know like eating like this.

I'm 48 and am having good luck with moderately reducing carbs 5-7 days per week. I'm focusing on protein and veggies/fiber to keep me full. (I didn't need to make any changes to fat cuz I already ate plenty.) I set my macros at 40 % carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein.