getting back after back pain

Options
I hurt my back about a month ago and was unable to move let alone walk, now I can walk but I still have pain when bending. I realized I've put on a lot of the weight I lost and I need to get back to being healthy. How do I start?

Replies

• mitchelsimps
    mitchelsimps Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hey! Good to hear your getting better im having the same problems (not quite as servere). If i was you i would just start light cardio. Maybe swimming? i find that this helps my back :)
  • tterreble
    tterreble Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Halloe!
    I suffered an impact fracture back injury a few years ago and was bed-ridden for 3 months, after that no impact sport at all, but have been working on my back and it's great now.
    I guess it depends on what type of back injury you have - but here's what the physio suggested for me and I did this to get back into shape and build back strength again:
    - swimming swimming swimming (this is the best, no impact and uses the whole body)
    - Yoga/ hatha yoga (this builds your muscle strength a lot)
    - cycling, no impact (and if your back is still sore, use the ones with a backrest)
    But if your back is still sore, I would give it some more time to heal, but also agree with mitchelsimps with the swimming though. Think that would still be good.
    Good luck!
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    A physical therapist would be the best answer, since back problems can be tricky and vary from one person to the next. In general, though, you need to regain flexibility and strength in your core. I have three herniated disks in my lower back. I was laid up for a month about 30 years ago and over the years found that when I exercised regularly, my back was relatively problem-free. It wasn't until the last couple years that I started focusing on strengthening my core (not just abs) and can now do pretty much anything I want without worrying about hurting my back again.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I would say start with a doctor...not trying to be snarky, I tore my lumbar ligaments in a crash and will *always* have to be careful with my back. Do you have any recommendations from your doc or therapist? Any limitations or warnings of stuff not to do?