BMR conflicting with daily allowance?

Options
Hello,
I am 5'2 Female who weighs 167.2lbs with a goal weight of 133lbs and creating my fitness pal account today i noticed my BMR is set as 1445cals even though they are saying i should eat 1200cals.
Im really confused,is this healthy?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    You could set your goal to something other than two pounds per week, but there's nothing inherently unhealthy about eating less than BMR. It depends on the situation, how much fat you have, etc.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Did you set your pounds to lose per week as 2? You might try adjusting this if you'd like more calories per day.
  • Karmyeboo
    Karmyeboo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i think I've set it as 1.5
    Even though MFP is telling me to eat 1200, setting mown goal of 1300-1500 with excersize
    Will this hinder myweightloss
    I'm just not sure if i should follow MFP to the T or tailor it for myself and what i think will work for me.
    As in, if i don't eat 1200 will this mean i will not loose the projected 1.5 per week
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If you eat 1300-1500 rather than 1200, all other things being equal, you'll lose less weight.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I would go with BMR and eat back 1/2 of your exercise calories. If you haven't noticed any improvement in 4 weeks adjust down.
    MFP gives you a calorie goal based on how much weight you would like to lose, which for your stats 1.5-2 lbs a week will give you a goal of 1200. Since you have ~35 lbs to lose a goal of 1 lb per week is reasonable and would give you a goal closer to your BMR (as long as you input sedentary for exercise). Hope this helps!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Karmyeboo wrote: »
    i think I've set it as 1.5
    Even though MFP is telling me to eat 1200, setting mown goal of 1300-1500 with excersize
    Will this hinder myweightloss
    I'm just not sure if i should follow MFP to the T or tailor it for myself and what i think will work for me.
    As in, if i don't eat 1200 will this mean i will not loose the projected 1.5 per week

MFP bases your goal on the amount of weight you tell it you want to lose per week. If you don't have much to lose, then this can result in an allowance of 1,200. If you want to eat more calories, then you can decrease your weekly goal to 1 pound or even .5 pounds.

If MFP is correct in the calculation that you need to eat 1,200 to lose 1.5 pounds per week and you eat more than 1,200 (net), you won't lose 1.5 pounds per week. And that's fine. If you want to eat more, why not just adjust your weekly goal? I had it set to .5 for most of my weight loss as I didn't have that much to lose.