Yet another question about the fitbit.

Options
How important is it to adjust the stride setting? I have very different stride lengths depending on the shoes I am wearing. I flat sole boots and running shoes I tend to have a longer stride than I do with heels on. Should it matter that much?

Replies

• DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    This is still on my to-do list (have you seen the way to do it here? https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1), so I would like to know also
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I would set it to what ever type shoe I use the most. Too much of a bother to keep resetting it but you could. Unless there is a huge difference in the shoe strides, I would not be concerned. Usually people are more interested in running stride vs. walking stride. That will make a much bigger difference usually since some people don't walk a lot but do run regularly, others only walk so running is not in the picture.

The fitbit users group might have more useful info as well, the FAQ is in the post above mine and will get you to that group.

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Stride length definitely affects your distance, but I don't know about your burn. I never calibrated mine, and I'm 5'2" with long legs for a short girl. But I lost the weight & have maintained just fine.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Some people in there are really into calibrating their stride length using a treadmill.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Stride length definitely affects your distance, but I don't know about your burn. I never calibrated mine, and I'm 5'2" with long legs for a short girl. But I lost the weight & have maintained just fine.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Some people in there are really into calibrating their stride length using a treadmill.

This makes me feel better about not having done mine yet. I'm more concerned with the calorie burn. Do you eat back all of your fitbit calorie adjustment?
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I will do that for my running stride definitely.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    This makes me feel better about not having done mine yet. I'm more concerned with the calorie burn. Do you eat back all of your fitbit calorie adjustment?

If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, eating back your adjustments means you're eating TDEE minus deficit. But you have to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly.

I log exercise in Fitbit—never MFP.

The only way to gauge the accuracy of your Fitbit burn is to trust it for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.