Is this enough exercise a week to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    NEAT from MFP or an online calculator or fitbit is just an estimate. You will never find the EXACT number, it changes every day. But start eating consistently at a calorie level and see how much weight you lose. If you lose more than anticipated, your NEAT is higher than the estimate. If you lose less, then your NEAT is lower. If you lose around the estimated amount after several months, you have figured out your average NEAT. Isn't that neat!

• emodavis
    emodavis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ok...I just did the calorie deficit calculator.

To maintain weight is 2,074 calories a day.
    Calorie deficit is 1,452 calories a day.
    It says 30% aggressive loss?

Then eat your maintenance calories (all of them) and keep working out at the intensity you are now.

Anecdotal evidence alert: I'm just over 200 lbs. I work out 2-5 times per week. I need to eat about 1700-2200 calories a day (based on what I'm doing for exercise) to lose weight at a moderate pace (1-1.5 lbs per week). I eat less on heavy lifting days and more on heavy cardio days.

30% is aggressive loss. I don't know how that 30% is spread out but if I lose 60 lbs quickly, that would def be considered a lot. (For the record, im only hoping to lose about 15 lbs right now).
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So when you say you don't need exercise to lose weight....the only calories you burn is what your body burns throughout the day by sitting, sleeping, etc...so how do I know what that is? I have fitbit that says it but I don't know how accurate it is.

The only way to really know is to pick a number to eat at - like the 1450 you mentioned earlier - and eat like that for a few weeks. From your weight loss you will be able to figure out your actual daily burn.

It feels like you're making this harder than it needs to be - just pick a number and go. All the calculators out there are just guessing based on broad models - it really doesn't matter what number you start at, because it will almost certainly change anyway.

Choose - go - and good luck! :drinker:
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit but it doesn't have the heart rate monitor :(

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—period. Exercise for fitness; log to lose weight.

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. If you eat less than that, you will lose weight. So learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.
  • dontgiveup2319
    dontgiveup2319 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'll probably just stick to 1200 a day. I've always ate that much even when I wasn't eating properly. I didn't really lose much weight doing the 1200. But I guess all I can do now is try something different.

Thanks for everything. :)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    No. You can only lose weight by not having a day off exercise for 3 months....

Sure

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Another thing I'm wondering about is that I don't work....so when I'm home all day without moving a whole is that going to keep me from losing weight? I mean I do housework and take care of my pet's and go outside a lot but it's not intense work lol.

I am sure you can move more than people who work desk jobs for 40+ hours a week.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    So when you say you don't need exercise to lose weight....the only calories you burn is what your body burns throughout the day by sitting, sleeping, etc...so how do I know what that is? I have fitbit that says it but I don't know how accurate it is.

Use this calculator;
    bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  • dontgiveup2319
    Options
    Since I don't work and just started going to the gym....do I put sedentary or do I put what I'm working out a week for the bmr?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Since I don't work and just started going to the gym....do I put sedentary or do I put what I'm working out a week for the bmr?

You don't factor exercising into your activity level. Whether you set it at sedentary or not would depend on your day. Do you spend most of it on a couch and/or in front of a computer or do you move around the house a lot? If the former, sedentary. If the latter, maybe the next level up.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options

Have you read the Sexypants post? It's full of good "how-to" information: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Choose an activity level, and set your goal to .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Then log your exercise separately. Activity level is everything but workouts, including work, commuting, housework, yardwork, and child care.

The key to weight loss is learning to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.
  • Naener
    Naener Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

You don't need one

Fitbit will monitor activity level

Fit bits are never anywhere near as accurate as chest strap HRMs. Polar is the way to go.
  • Naener
    Options
    So it's only how many calories you eat? I don't understand how you can eat whatever you want and never exercise and lose weight?

You cant "eat whatever you want" theres still bad and empty calories. eating at a deficit (less than usual/less than needed to maintain your current weight) is how you lose fat.

if you eat nothing but fat... well, its not likely that youll lose much of it, is it?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Naener wrote: »

You don't need one

Fit bits are never anywhere near as accurate as chest strap HRMs. Polar is the way to go.

HRMs have a very limited range of activities where they approach accurate caloric estimates ... Zumba is not one of those activities.
  • Naener
    Options

You don't need one

HRMs have a very limited range of activities where they approach accurate caloric estimates ... Zumba is not one of those activities.

How do you figure? chest strap heart rate monitors literally monitor your heart rate no matter what activity, heart rate/time of activity = calorie burn.
    Mine is accurate for zumba, weight lifting, weight classes, hiking, even swimming.
  • brianpperkins
    edited July 2015
    Options

You don't need one

How do you figure? chest strap heart rate monitors literally monitor your heart rate no matter what activity, heart rate/time of activity = calorie burn.
    Mine is accurate for zumba, weight lifting, weight classes, hiking, even swimming.

No it isn't. The science behind how calories are estimated from HR data doesn't support accurate estimation from intervals, low intensity activity, anaerobic activity, etc.

HR/Time of activity does not equal calorie burn. If that were the case then watching scary movies would be as effective as running and cycling.
  • mandy4matt1996
    mandy4matt1996 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree Polar is the way to go. I started out with a basic Polar ft4 and wore it to Zumba for years. Now I use the Polar m400 and you can use it for ANYTHING as well.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

You don't need one

The algorithm used in HRM's is specifically meant for steady rate cardio.

The signals between the chest strap and the HRM in water can be blocked fairly easily.

Say if you put your HRM with the strap on a roller coaster ride which really got you an adrenaline rush... does that mean you're burning lots of calories because your heart rate is elevated?
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    I agree Polar is the way to go. I started out with a basic Polar ft4 and wore it to Zumba for years. Now I use the Polar m400 and you can use it for ANYTHING as well.

You can use it for anything ... it won't be accurate for caloric estimates ... but you can use it.
  • dontgiveup2319
    Options
    It sounds like no matter what we use it won't be exactly correct lol.