HELP: activity tracker with HRM recommendations

Options
hmrey76
hmrey76 Posts: 945 Member
Hi

I'm looking for an activity tracker with a built in HRM for convenience. I had a polar ft4 HRM and i loved it but after a year and a half and battery replacements it doesn't always work. Online reviews are really no help. One site loves one kind, one hates it...etc.

Replies

• kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I'm saving up for a fitbit HR Charge. I have had the same problem with my Polar FT4 after about the same length of time. My sister just got a fitbit for her birthday so I'm going to see if I can steal her polar chest strap and see if that makes it work for a while.
  • mykidsrock76
    mykidsrock76 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I really like my Fitbit Charge HR. It's easy to setup and use and I'm able to link it to my MFP account.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What activities do you do? What data points are you wanting to track? Does accuracy matter to you?
  • hmrey76
    hmrey76 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I've heard FitBit HR mentioned recently.

I would like the most accurate as possible otherwise what is the point? Activities usually consist of walking or workout DVDs. I would like it to link to MFP if possible and maybe a calories burned option. I don't need sleep tracking.
  • candaceph
    candaceph Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a Charge HR. It works pretty good as it is just a glorified fitbit with a heart rate monitor built in. It allows be to track my workouts by hitting the status button and holding it down so it tracks my fitbit activity on the fitbit site. And it does link here like any fitbit does by adjusting your calorie burn based on whether you are over or under the MFP calorie estimate. It will not take the place of a regular heart rate monitor as you wear it on your wrist and not on your chest and it doesn't provide the accuracy of the other.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    http://www.cnet.com/news/how-accurate-are-wristband-heart-rate-monitors/

Accuracy is an issue for most wrist worn HRM / activity tracker combos during exercise. It's an inherent design flaw in with the current sensors. The ones that are more accurate tend to be wider, include side shielding, yet still must be worn tightly ... as in leaves indentations during exercise tight.

The interval nature of most workout DVDs doesn't lend itself to accurate caloric estimates from HRMs. General walking doesn't elevate one's effort level to a point where HR serves as a reliable proxy for the formulas used by HRMs.

That leaves pretty much any step tracker as an option ... most are in the 90-95% accuracy rate when it comes to step counts. It comes down to preference in form factor and user interface.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    hmrey76 wrote: »
    I would like the most accurate as possible otherwise what is the point?

The point is, the most accurate at what???
    Activities usually consist of walking or workout DVDs. I would like it to link to MFP if possible and maybe a calories burned option. I don't need sleep tracking.

So I'd infer that what you're actually after is something that'll give you a calorie estimate.

For walking, an activity tracker/ pedometer will probably give you the most consistent results, although equally a smartphone app will be pretty reasonable for what you're after. Fitbit have greatest market penetration and brand recognition, but in practice there isn't much to distinguish Fitbit, Garmin and Polar in this area.

Your most consistent way to estimate calories expended doing exercise DVDs is by time and perceived effort, rather than an HRM. Notwithstanding that if success is have bought an HRM then again there isn't much to distinguish the three market leaders. Personally I've used Polar and Garmin, currently with a preference for Garmin although my usage is in support of endurance running. So I'd veer towards a VivoActive or VivoSmart, but the Polar devices are pretty reasonable as well. In this domain personally I don't rate the Fitbit devices as they're still pretty primitive in how they'll use the data.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have given up on the whole activity tracker idea. I lost 40 pounds without one (gained it all back when I fall back to old bad habits). I got a Fitbit Flex for a birthday gift and liked it. When I was ready to upgrade to a HRM activity tracker combo I got a Vivosmart.

In the end, I was losing at a slower rate than not using an activity tracker and Vivosmart kept dropping my HRM during workouts. I have tossed both in the closet and went back to no activity tracking and my old Polar RS100 for workouts with manual entry of calories burned to MFP.

As for metrics, I loved Fitbit's website for activity tracking, and I preferred Garmin Connect for workout data.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Polar Loop or A300