Cardio Alternatives

Options
2»

Replies

• shanellmhess
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! And to everyone else recovering from injuries, good luck (:
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Standing in place, but thinking fast thoughts.
  • Nicolette04
    Nicolette04 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    When I first started the 30DS, I had a really hard time with the jumping jacks (b/c I'm just plum out of shape). So instead I would substitute the punches that Jillian does instead of the jumping jacks. You still are keeping your heart rate up and and are getting in the upper body. If you make sure to hold the squat low, you are really working your body. Or you could do squats in place of them. Good luck! You can friend me if you want support with 30DS, I am on level 2 right now, and I hate planks!! Hahah!
  • shanellmhess
    Options
    Standing in place, but thinking fast thoughts.

lol, nice if only that worked.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Since it seems any kind of "in the air" exercises are risky for you, I'm gonna go with boxing. Having a lot of my clients who weren't good at running or any hard leg work (knee or hip issues) boxing on a bag with gloves has done wonders for their cardio.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    that's a good one, never thought of that! (the swinging kettlebells one) not sure if this is showing who I am replying to!
    +1 on this idea. I find it easier to keep moving and switch muscle groups (between core and upper body and back to core and...) than just about any other alternative. I mostly run for cardio as my legs can handle the continuous effort, but just about no other muscle group can (for me anyway). If I try to do cardio without using legs much I have to switch fairly frequently.