Any Christian music that's good for working out?

Options
I love Christian music but I would like suggestions on songs or artists that I can listen to and get a pump out of.

[Before I was saved all I would listen to was Metallica and Iron Maiden while I worked out]

Replies

• patricksalazar0123
    patricksalazar0123 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Also, add me! I need friends! :)
  • sgeph289
    sgeph289 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    They're an older band, but you can try Petra.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Is Stryper still considered a Christian band?
  • sgeph289
    sgeph289 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    or Stryper. I'm also partial to the Newsboys, but I've never tried working out to their music.
  • madkcole
    madkcole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Download I Heart Radio. There are several Christian stations to choose from. I listen to Klove and Air One when working out.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Here's my Christian music workout playlist. It's not metal, but it's good for cardio :)

Alive- Hillsong Young and Free
    At Your Name- Phil Wickham
    The Lord Our God- Passion (Kristian Stanfill)
    The Only Name (Yous Will Be)- Big Daddy Weave
    Something Beautiful- NeedToBreathe
    The Heart- NeedToBreathe
    Wake- Hillsong Young and Free
    You Make Me Brave- Bethel
    Moving Forward- Isreal
    You Are Good- Isreal
    This Is Living- Hillsong Young and Free
    Jesus, We Love You- Bethel
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Downhere - very different; amazing lyrics - can't really even lock them into a genre, but their lead singer sounds EXACTLY like Freddy Mercury. In fact, the band recently broke so he could go sing with Queen. You should look up Marc Martel "Somebody to Love" at least. That'll give you a sampling.

PfR - oooold school; 90s alternative
    Sanctus Real (earlier stuff like Fight the Tide)
  • sabrinacrandall
    sabrinacrandall Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Relient K - Who I Am's Not Who I've Been
    David Dunn - Today is Beautiful
    Mandisa - Good Morning
    Unspoken - Start a Fire
    Mercy Me - Move
    Mercy Me - Greater
    Danny Gokey - Hope in Front of Me
    Tneth Avenue North - No Man is an Island
    Anberlin - Impossible
    Jamie Grace - Do Life Big
    Jamie Grace - Beautiful Day
    Toby Mac - Speak Life
    Matthew West - Hello, My Name Is...
    Brandon Heath - Give Me Your Eyes
    Josh Wilson - Pushing Back the Dark
    Skillet - Awake and Alive
    Skillet - The Last Night
    Skillet - Those Nights
    Skillet - Fire and Fury
    Skillet - American Noise
    Skillet - What I believe
    Lincoln Brewster - Made New
    Moriah Peters - Brave
    Moriah Peters - You Carry Me
    Josh Wilson - I Refuse
    Sanctus Real - Head in the Fight
    Marie Miller - You're Not Alone
    I Am They - From the Day

These are the ones on my playlist. :) Some are more upbeat than others, but I enjoy them all while working out.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be Christian music? Not trying to start any arguments, I'm genuinely curious. Is there a reason you can't listen to other types of music?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    Why does it have to be Christian music? Not trying to start any arguments, I'm genuinely curious. Is there a reason you can't listen to other types of music?
    I suspect the same reason anyone chooses a specific genre of music....the lyrics resonate with them in a specific situation?

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Demon Hunter, Thousand Foot Krutch, Red, Skillet, Kutless
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This site is great for finding cardio music. You put your running, walking, cycling pace & it gives a list of songs....you can narrow by genre

https://walk.jog.fm/christian-rock-workout-songs
  • dubird
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I suspect the same reason anyone chooses a specific genre of music....the lyrics resonate with them in a specific situation?

True, but OP said they used to listen to metal while working out, so I'm curious why they believe they can't anymore.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options

True, but OP said they used to listen to metal while working out, so I'm curious why they believe they can't anymore.

The bolded is most likely why

• theawill519
    Options

Well, just a guess, but I would say it probably has something to do with the lyrical content. I just did a quick google search for Iron Maiden and the first song that came up was called "Number of the Beast." It's not hard to figure out why a Christian wouldn't want to listen to that.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options

I imagine the secular stuff she was listening too - Iron Maiden etc., had lyrics that are offensive to her now that she's saved. As people explore their faith, they may find that things (music, etc) that brought them a certain feeling before, no longer fulfill that need in the same way. Just like anything, our tastes, likes/ dislikes evolve.

• SarahCate_2pt0
    SarahCate_2pt0 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I'm saved and still listen to metal and all kinds of other music. However, we all have to live by what we think is best for ourselves and avoid stumbling blocks that push us toward our old ways.

Skillet and POD are on my playlist. If you like the metal/hard rock stuff, I also like As I Lay Dying, Evanescence, Flyleaf, Tourniquet, Thousand Foot Crutch, Hope for the Dying, Plankeye, Switchfoot, and Extol. Some of these bands are "crossovers", meaning that they don't necessarily only discuss Christianity in their lyrics, but they are practicing Christians, and so tend to write from a Christian perspective. There are hundreds of Christian bands to choose from in any genre you can think of. And there are many non-Christian rock bands that have songs with positive messages. Maybe you could pick and choose a few of those to add?

If lyrics are a big trigger, you could also download some EDM (electronic dance music) type stuff that has a good beat, but no words. My kids love that stuff.
  • dubird
    Options
    Thea519 wrote: »

Well, just a guess, but I would say it probably has something to do with the lyrical content. I just did a quick google search for Iron Maiden and the first song that came up was called "Number of the Beast." It's not hard to figure out why a Christian wouldn't want to listen to that.

True, but there's a lot of good metal and rock that has nothing to do with religion. Granted, a lot of rock has to do with parties and sex, but not all of it. There's also other types of music that have no lyrics, like a lot of tencho. Or, go with classical opera. Granted, it won't have the same punch as modern music, but there's some good stuff to listen to. I guess my point is that there's a lot of choices out there, even if you don't want to listen to anything that would be against your beliefs. Didn't know if OP has tried anything or even wants to, which is why I was wondering why they only wanted Christan rock songs for their workout list. I didn't know if there was another reason that I'm not thinking of.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Steven Curtis Chapman - The Great Adventure https://youtu.be/hVFPjIp6nkk
  • theawill519
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thea519 wrote: »

True, but there's a lot of good metal and rock that has nothing to do with religion. Granted, a lot of rock has to do with parties and sex, but not all of it. There's also other types of music that have no lyrics, like a lot of tencho. Or, go with classical opera. Granted, it won't have the same punch as modern music, but there's some good stuff to listen to. I guess my point is that there's a lot of choices out there, even if you don't want to listen to anything that would be against your beliefs. Didn't know if OP has tried anything or even wants to, which is why I was wondering why they only wanted Christan rock songs for their workout list. I didn't know if there was another reason that I'm not thinking of.

It may be inspirational to him. That's what it is for me :)

But you're right, lots to choose from out there!