Plateu help..

Ok, so I'm just frustrated. In Oct I hit 149lbs kept running and doing jillian michaels dvds. At christmas I took a 2 week break from logging an exercise as we were moving. Went back to logging an running. Started jillian again in March i think. Did 30DS and RI30 with running an cut back my cals about 250. (Up to this point was eating 1900 daily regardless of exercise i'm 5'3). My scale is not moving. i've been weighing like every other day to look for a trend and i just bounce around between 149 and 152. 2 weeks ago I started a kettlebell dvd and still nothing...I've been measuring too and its not changing... i don't know what else to change up. I'm frustrated.

And my diary is just calorie counts, because i'm too lazy to add everything so i just log the cals...i'm very dilligent about weighing an measuring and we don't eat out much at all.

Replies

• hezro
    hezro Posts: 12 Member
    I was just about to ask a similar question. I was curious what things people have done when they hit a plateau, to get the scale moving again. I've been thinking maybe I need to eat full calories for a week or two and see if I can "reset" things. (But I wasn't actually sure how long it would take to "reset".)

I've dropped from about 195 to 171 since January. I'm trying to keep my calorie intake to somewhere around 1600, per MFP's recommendation. I primarily swim and bike with a little running thrown in the mix. I also walk with friends and do some resistance training/core a couple of times a week.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Let's start with the obvious. Are you weighing/measuring your food? Are you eating back your earned calories when you exercise? How are you determining your exercise burn - MFP estimates or a heart rate monitor?

Do you know your BMR and TDEE? That's a good place to start if you don't know whether to eat more or less (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/)
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    BMR 1450

I go with low cal burned estimates...

TDEE runs around 2200-2300 with exercise accounted for

ate at 1900 from the time i started about year an a half ago and was losing just fine
  • sgmomma
    I just re-did scooby ( i do it like every other week)

with 1-3 hrs light exercise it says i should be eating 1750 (not eating back exercise because they are accounted for) which is what i've been eating at since march

says BMR is 1502...i've done several of these an they range from 1300-1500 so i have taken the average...
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Some of the theories from this article might help. :)

http://gettingstronger.org/2010/09/how-to-break-through-a-plateau/#more-23
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    I would probably drop calories to 1700 and probably change up the workout routine completely. Do more weight training and less cardio, endurance workouts. Keep in mind as you lose weight and continue to do the same routine, your body will adapt and burn less calories.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Ok, so I'm just frustrated. In Oct I hit 149lbs kept running and doing jillian michaels dvds. At christmas I took a 2 week break from logging an exercise as we were moving. Went back to logging an running. Started jillian again in March i think. Did 30DS and RI30 with running an cut back my cals about 250. (Up to this point was eating 1900 daily regardless of exercise i'm 5'3). My scale is not moving. i've been weighing like every other day to look for a trend and i just bounce around between 149 and 152. 2 weeks ago I started a kettlebell dvd and still nothing...I've been measuring too and its not changing... i don't know what else to change up. I'm frustrated.

And my diary is just calorie counts, because i'm too lazy to add everything so i just log the cals...i'm very dilligent about weighing an measuring and we don't eat out much at all.

Do you use a food scale to measure everything?

Open your diary.
  • candacedicks
    candacedicks Posts: 6 Member
    I find that if I change up the healthy foods I'm eating for a couple days I will break right through the plateu. Basically if you find your eating any of the same things change them for a while to other healthy meals.
  • sgmomma
    yes i use a food scale...my diary only lists the calorie amounts.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Well your diary isn't open so we can't see what you're really eating or doing... but if you're stuck at a weight and honestly logging, you're eating too much. Drop the calorie goal by 200.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Oddly enough, I found that when I had a plateau, the best thing for me to do was to have a day where I went 200 - 300 calories OVER my TDEE, and then drop back down to maintenance on day two, then back down to the losing calories on day three. Worked like a charm....

I'm 5'3", 109 pounds, 42 years old and my goal weight is 108. My BMR is 1205 and my TDEE (measured by a FitBit Flex and body fat% by the Aria scale) is averaging 1635. My average intake in calories is typically 1465......