False Start

julzbennett
julzbennett Posts: 29 Member
Day Two: Yesterday was the first day of my new regime. I did a 'warm up week' with healthier eating without the weighing last week, and exercise without the measuring...All of my meals for the week are planned and, even after two days I have already seen a few 'misconceptions' in my planning. But...positive attitude it won't ruin my progress it just might slow it down a bit. The problem is that I woke up on Day 2 with swollen glands...shivery and achey...that's right - Tonsilitis. At lunchtime I was going to push through and go to the gym anyway but I really should be -and am- in bed. I can't help feeling really disheartened as the lack of exercise has made my planned eating go over. I could use a bit of encouragement :)

Replies

• Datarn
    Datarn Posts: 79 Member
    Get some rest and realize that it will always be - one day at a time!! Don't let this derail you. Take care of yourself and get back to it! Good luck and feel better.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    If you're sick, don't worry about exercise. Believe me, you DON'T want to make things worse! Give yourself time to recover, and if you're worried, make your calorie deficit solely based on food without taking exercise into account. Chances are, if you're sick and laying in bed all day, you won't be hungry enough for a full day's worth of calories anyways.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    So Life happened. And it will again. Rest, recover, and pick up where you can.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    The beginning of your journey is just tweaks and finding the right level. Hiting a bump/illness early on requires you to know how to deal with it practcially and mentally. It will stand you in good stead and you might even lose your appetite. You cna still log your food, oversee your nutrituion and exercise some patience. Your priority is to look after yourself and get better.

In the meantime read the forums, learn how to lose weight and tweak your exercise plan. the most importnat part of exercise is fitness, burning calories comes after, so dont get fooled into thinking its the key to weight loss.

Learn from the common mistakes people report all the time and its normally because they eat more than they realise due to inaccurate weighing. Theres plenty you cna do whilst getting better.

Good luck.
  • julzbennett
    julzbennett Posts: 29 Member
    Thanks everyone! I'm such an 'all or nothing' exerciser - as soon as I stop then I start craving sugary treats! I know I need to develop a healthier and more tolerant attitude to change but Day 2 is just so annoying having psyched myself up for a summer regime while work is quiet. Life always seems to get in the way but I REALLY want to learn moderation on this front :)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Thanks everyone! I'm such an 'all or nothing' exerciser - as soon as I stop then I start craving sugary treats! I know I need to develop a healthier and more tolerant attitude to change but Day 2 is just so annoying having psyched myself up for a summer regime while work is quiet. Life always seems to get in the way but I REALLY want to learn moderation on this front :)

Yeah, real life has a tendency to slap you in the face from time to time. Or, in my case, makes me trip (it has nothing to do with me being clumsy i swear! *ahem*). What you might want to do is spend a couple weeks just logging food to give yourself a baseline. Well, after you get better. That way, you can spot patterns that you can change and start adjusting a little at a time. And for now, if you've gotten into the habit of snacking, don't have foods you consider snack foods in the house. Granted, if you're not a lazy person, that might not work, but it worked for me. XD Just remember this is a process to change how you eat, not a diet. You'll be teaching yourself good eating habits that will last the rest of your life, and if you mess up one day, it's not the end of the world. Just start fresh the next day.