powerlifting competition

Options
Has anyone done a powerlifting competition? Any opinions/advice? I want to start training for one today to keep me motivated and give me a fun goal to work toward. I've done all the calculations. By the time I drop 30lbs I need to get my squat up by 95lbs, bench by 38lbs, and deadlift by 202lbs (LOL) but I think I can deadlift more than I have been, ill see tonight. Leg day :-)

Replies

• boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    in the last 40 days I've gone up exactly 40lbs in all of those lifts so im excited to see how fast I'm able to add weight to my bar :-)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've done a couple.

You don't need to get your lifts up at all. Just go, learn something, meet some new people, and have fun. Whatever your lifts are, they are. Nobody will care. If they do, they're d-bags and will get called out by your fellow lifters.

My only "real" advice: weigh in the night before, if possible and eat a big breakfast the day of. Also take carby food with you - something to give you energy, but not make you feel sloshy.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Just go do it. Don't worry about what weight class you are in or how much weight you have on the bar - those will come in time. Your first comp should be all about learning how meets flow and what it's like to lift in front of people while following commands.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My husband competed at the one at our gym. He came in last in his weight class, but felt very accomplished just for doing it. Everyone was super cool and encouraging. Most of the other participants in his weight class compete regularly; and were participating in our comp "for practice."

My husband watched the competition the first year and participated the next year. You should probably go and watch first. Even in a non-sanctioned one, there are a lot of rules. I watched last year, and I learned a lot about the nuts & bolts.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've done somewhere between 20 & 30. I've lost track. I did the most recent this past weekend.

I'll second the advice about not worrying about your weight or the weight you're lifting. Best advice is to watch a meet to see how it's run. Find one in your area and learn the rules. I also referee and it's always too bad to see a new lifter lose a lift due to technical reasons. Eg. did not follow the head referees commands, head not on the bench during the entire lift, etc.

With respect to weighing in, different federations have different rules on timing. Ours is an IPF affiliate and all weigh ins are 2 hours.

I still remember my first meet like it was yesterday. Everyone was, and continues to be, very helpful and invested in the success of others. You'd be hard pressed to find a more welcoming group of people in any sport.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    yeah just set your mind to it do it, But don't worry about your lifts or your weight. You'll be setting your 1rm to then work on improving for your next meet. Prior to my first meet, i went and watched a couple and i also found an awesome trainer to work with me for about 6 months prior , she basically held my hand through the whole process. and i went with a team of girls. Power lifting is one of the things that has kept me on track lifting and my diet, since i'm always training for something, and can't ever slack off.
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    wow I'm really excited for this! I just took 3 rest days, which I never do, so I decided I need something to train for to keep me on track so I don't make up excuses. That's a great idea to check it out before I sign up so I know what in getting myself into and can familiarize myself with the rules. I'm suprised to hear how nice and supportive everyone is, I wouldn't have expected that! thank you all for the advice! :-)