Is 50lbs in 6 months realistic?

Options
2»

Replies

• KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 214 lbs and looking to lose 50lbs give or take in a 6 month timeframe. Is this realistic?

I am keeping my calorie intake to a max of 1500 and working out 5 days a week for at least 60 minutes.
    kateyb94 wrote: »
    That's a little more than 2 lbs a week... so no it's not realistic.
    Secondly, giving yourself a time frame is a BAD idea. If you don't reach your goal by that time how are you going to feel? Most people who approach weight loss this way end up giving up or at least become very frustrated because they realize their timed goals are unattainable. Stay away from time constrained weight goals.
    Instead just focus on doing what you're doing. More calories in than calories out... don't try to lose more than 2 lbs a week. Keep to your calorie goal and be happy with every little victory. Have a goal in mind, but don't say "I need to lose this much by this date." Just work hard and keep consistent and you'll get there in a healthy amount of time.
    Patttience wrote: »
    Secondly, giving yourself a time frame is a BAD idea. If you don't reach your goal by that time how are you going to feel? Most people who approach weight loss this way end up giving up or at least become very frustrated because they realize their timed goals are unattainable. Stay away from time constrained weight goals.
    Instead just focus on doing what you're doing. More calories in than calories out... don't try to lose more than 2 lbs a week. Keep to your calorie goal and be happy with every little victory. Have a goal in mind, but don't say "I need to lose this much by this date." Just work hard and keep consistent and you'll get there in a healthy amount of time.

This. It might be doable, though it's a stretch. But you need to make a lifestyle change, and the things you would need to do in order to lose that much in that short period of time would be challenging to maintain. I had 20 pounds to lose when I started on here (for the third time), but this time I'm taking it much more slowly. I've lost 15 pounds in 2 months through making changes I can stick to forever. I would love to be at my goal by my friend's wedding in October, but I've learned from the times that I gained the weight back to not make things too hard on myself.

Best of luck!! Whether you lose 50 pounds in 6 months or 25-30, you'll start feeling so much better about yourself!

This is exactly what i'm talking about. Listen to this woman.

Not sure what math is being used in this post but 6 months is 26 weeks. 26x2 is 52. So no, it's not over 2lbs a week. It would be tough but probably doable. Shoot for it and you will probably get pretty close to it. If not, you'll still be much closer to your goal than when you started.

you're right, I was thinking 24 months for some reason. It could be doable, but I still stand by my statement that time constrained weight loss goals are setting yourself up for failure. It's better to focus on doing your best, being healthy, and working towards your goal weight than to say "I need to be this size by this day" because if for some reason you don't reach that goal it's very discouraging. If you feel the need to give yourself a date, I'd at least suggest giving yourself some wiggle room. Doing the math, if I continue to lose exactly as I have been for the first 3 weeks I should reach my goal in about 10 more weeks, but I'm not necessarily expecting that because weightloss is not linear
  • 0JavaK0
    0JavaK0 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

50lbs in 6 months is do doable. Especially if your just starting a workout routine. You will loose a ton of water weight in the first month. Then it should be 2lbs/week at most for a healthy loss

I have done 40 lbs in 3.75 mths. My first month was water weight (about 18lbs) so I shed it fast
  • timtakel
    timtakel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It by the way a perfect valid thing to just lose weight and to really change your habits when you reached your goal. There are studies that suggest that rapid weight loss is correlated with keeping the weight loss. It also depends how patient you are, if you need fast change to stay motivated do that. Just pay attention to your nutrients.
  • tonysan65
    tonysan65 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If your calorie intake is 2000 a day and you consume 1500 a day, by the end of the week you will lose approx a pound a a half. Make sure you are eating a well balanced diet, keep an eye on your daily nutritional requirements. Exercise both cardio and resistance and eat your protein and you will not lose muscle. Keep an eye on the sugars and fats, especially the bad fats. Your goal is reachable and will not harm your health. Don't forget to drink your water. All drinks are counted as water, ok not alcoholic drinks so when you record how much water you drink include all your liquids.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It seems like a lot considering where you're starting, but maybe. Do you have this deadline because you have an event or something coming up? You might make it, but you might not, so bear that in mind if you're ordering a dress or something.

Six months is 26 weeks, but the weight comes off quicker at first...at least it does for some...so you might get a quick loss at the beginning.

Even if you don't make it to 50 in six months, you'll lose some and progress is better than nothing!! :)
  • dmeyne
    dmeyne Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just started back on here and I would like to lose 50 as well. I have not set a time frame because that has never worked for me. I set mini goals for food or exercise every day something different and a weight goal for about a month. You can friend me and we can do it together!
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It's doable. In theory it's probably not ideal to lose that fast, but it's hard to stay disciplined for a year+. I lost 65 lbs in about 7 months. Since then, I've dropped 5 lbs in about 3 months. I just don't have the same discipline that I had before. I'm glad I lost ad aggressively as I did.
  • kaydottee
    kaydottee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes it is,I've lost 100pounds in 7months but I was in my threes it depends in how much you currently weight .The bigger you are the more weight you lose faster