Wellbutrin 150mg XL for weight loss ??

Options
2»

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Do you have any co-occurring disorders? Or have you tried other medications without effect in the past? I ask because I am a little surprised that your doctor would prescribe Wellbutrin as a first-line medication for anxiety. I don't believe Wellbutrin is typically prescribed for anxiety, even off-label. That makes the side effects more disturbing.

You can't really base your decision off of other people's experience, as the reactions to psychotropic medications vary widely. But I would recommend being your own advocate and ensuring you have been prescribed a medicine that is right for you.

I have had some horrible experiences with different doctors and medications. I finally started seeing an actual psychiatrist and got on the right medicine (for me) and treatment plan. I highly recommend seeing a shrink (not a regular MD or a nurse practitioner-but a psychiatrist). The difference is noteable.
  • Janice4945
    Janice4945 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was on Wellbutrin XL for years. Finally got myself off of it 6 months ago. I lost weight, gained weight and the meds had nothing to do for it, just the way I ate. I was prescribed it to help quit smoking. I did quit, and am happy about that.
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I was on Wellbutrin at one point and did very well on it. I am now on citalopram and another prescription med that i use for sleep and it boosts the anti anxiety stuff. I went and seen a mental health councillor that recommended me to try. The first few weeks were hell I won't lie...the anxiety got worse and then it slowly got better. Things WILL get better I promise you that! You have to be patient, and if it's unbearable the doctor can give you something else Temporary until your meds have kicked in. There is no shame in asking for help if it gets worse. I love my life now that there is minimal anxiety AND I am losing weight!