Non-ugly runners for women

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Then never mind. Wear whatever's comfortable and fits your orthotic. You don't need trainers to go for a walk in an urban setting, just something comfortable.

Yeah true, just if I can get them to do double duty, that'd be great.
    Merrel makes some pretty nice running shoes that are not total eyesores. Their zero drop minimalist/barefoot runners would probably work for you. They don't have a bunch of padding or arch support in them so you can simply slip your orthotics into them. I don't run but do wear this brand for my work shoes because I am on my feet all day and they are the only thing that won't make my knees and hips go out of whack and get painful.
    Dudleymon1 wrote: »
    Altra Olympus--not pretty, but by far the most comfortable exercise and walking shoes I've ever tried. I've run, walked, and worked out in them. I also wore them when travelling abroad, when I was walking all day.

Thanks for the recs!
    tomatoey wrote: »
    If you have foot problems, your main concern should be what works for you feet, not fashion.

Secondly, get a pair of shoes that work for th exercises you do, and wear something for street wear.

That's easy for some to say. I invite you to consider the typical women's "comfort" shoe.

297064_366_45.jpg

HAWT

That doesn't look comfortable to me

I don't find them *psychologically* comfortable at all. I think shoe designers hate us. For the most part, they make either foot-warpers or Holly Hobby nightmares (re street shoes).
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    I have not found this magical shoe that can do the gym and street and still not look stupid. The closest I came was a pair of darker New Balance trail shoes about 10 years ago...back before the Goddess of Lime and Lilac took over shoe manufacturing.

I wouldn't wear my running shoes when I'm not either running, going to run, or coming home from a run because they are too stinking expensive to waste them on pavement. So I wear Teva sandals in the summer and Ecco walkers (not quite the same but similar to these beauties: http://us.shop.ecco.com/women-classics/ecco-babett-mj-210273.html?dwvar_210273_color=01001#cgid=women-classics ) in the winter. Ecco also makes trainers that don't look too horrendous: http://us.shop.ecco.com/ecco-womens-biom-train-core-801543.html?dwvar_801543_color=59227&green=850586E8-D493-5A83-BA00-8A89AE66A137
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    A lot of the 'cool' kids round here wear Nike frees as streetwear, while not looking remotely like they intend to do any exercise. You can get colours that aren't neon.
  • tomatoey
    I have not found this magical shoe that can do the gym and street and still not look stupid. The closest I came was a pair of darker New Balance trail shoes about 10 years ago...back before the Goddess of Lime and Lilac took over shoe manufacturing.

I wouldn't wear my running shoes when I'm not either running, going to run, or coming home from a run because they are too stinking expensive to waste them on pavement. So I wear Teva sandals in the summer and Ecco walkers (not quite the same but similar to these beauties: http://us.shop.ecco.com/women-classics/ecco-babett-mj-210273.html?dwvar_210273_color=01001#cgid=women-classics ) in the winter. Ecco also makes trainers that don't look too horrendous: http://us.shop.ecco.com/ecco-womens-biom-train-core-801543.html?dwvar_801543_color=59227&green=850586E8-D493-5A83-BA00-8A89AE66A137

Thank you :)
    litsy3 wrote: »
    A lot of the 'cool' kids round here wear Nike frees as streetwear, while not looking remotely like they intend to do any exercise. You can get colours that aren't neon.

Ha :) thanks :)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited July 2015

But why ever would you do that? :)
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member

Well, we all know that neon shoes make you run faster. But if they're not planning to do any running in them I guess they don't mind.

My best running shoes are rainbow coloured. :)

http://kicks-store.co.uk/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/new-balance-890-v3-womens.jpg?itok=Z4MYovL7
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    I love my Asics, but my running shoes are just for running. Chucks for lifting and something else when I'm out running around.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I wear Altras. They have all been muted colors.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Can't help ya with cute. These are what I'm wearing:

product~p~4891G_01~160.3.jpg
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Teva's .. flip flops for walking around, Keds for walking around, converse for walking around...

Retired running shoes for walking and the gym and a new pair of runner's for the 5k every day (brand Saucony)
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015

Well, we all know that neon shoes make you run faster. But if they're not planning to do any running in them I guess they don't mind.

My best running shoes are rainbow coloured. :)

http://kicks-store.co.uk/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/new-balance-890-v3-womens.jpg?itok=Z4MYovL7

nice!
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Can't help ya with cute. These are what I'm wearing:

product~p~4891G_01~160.3.jpg

aah aha... still, could always be worse!

(honestly, they're not that bad!)

41YDTAR1EAL.jpg

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I want new runners that I could wear in or out of the gym, and that look decent with street clothes, any suggestions?

Out of the gym, will wear on longer walks. Inside the gym, just for stationary cycling and elliptical. Summer clothes = casual t-shirt dresses, shorts, etc., Converse would probably look ok but obviously are too floppy to give support through a walking stride for long.

I have foot problems, but wear orthotics - so as long as I can take the inner sole out, I don't care about the footbed, just want the sole to be firmer than e.g. Cons

you definitely don't need running shoes:
    http://newbalance.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/49/~/walking-shoes-vs.-running-shoes-vs.-cross-trainers
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited July 2015
    Check out the Adidas Originals by Mary Katrantzou or Rita Ora range.

If you do ever consider Converse they have a service where you can customise them to your liking as well.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited July 2015
    Just curious,
    Doesn't your gym have a rule that you can't wear outdoor shoes?
    We are not allowed to use shoes that have been used outside unless they have been thoroughly cleaned. Nothing more annoying than doing pushups and the likes on a floor covered in sand/dirt.

• cheshirecatastrophe
    AsISmile wrote: »
    Just curious,
    We are not allowed to use shoes that have been used outside unless they have been thoroughly cleaned. Nothing more annoying than doing pushups and the likes on a floor covered in sand/dirt.

Wow, in all the gyms I've been to I have *never* heard of this rule! (The "no black soles on the basketball court," sure.) And I can't say I've ever noticed a gritty floor or even gunk on the treadmills! Do you live on a beach or someplace where sand would be an issue? Does the staff at your gym not keep it clean? How is this rule even remotely enforced?
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Just curious,

Wow, in all the gyms I've been to I have *never* heard of this rule! (The "no black soles on the basketball court," sure.) And I can't say I've ever noticed a gritty floor or even gunk on the treadmills! Do you live on a beach or someplace where sand would be an issue? Does the staff at your gym not keep it clean? How is this rule even remotely enforced?

Nope, no beaches near.
    I've been to multiple different gyms and they've all had this rule. But we also have this rule for primary and high school gym classes... It wouldn't surprise me if every gym in my country has this rule.
    I think it is also better for the equipment like treadmills if it doesn't get sand in them...
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    Just curious,

Nope, no beaches near.
    I've been to multiple different gyms and they've all had this rule. But we also have this rule for primary and high school gym classes... It wouldn't surprise me if every gym in my country has this rule.
    I think it is also better for the equipment like treadmills if it doesn't get sand in them...

Wow, and in my gym classes we typically just wore the shoes we had worn the rest of the day. 'Merica!
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    It is odd that most running shoes have super aggressive colors. I actually find mine to be quite cute because they are purple and not like... fluorescent orange. But it's all a matter of taste.

these are mine - brooks running glycerin 12. Also, they are apparently marked down to $98 from $150 right now...:
    jOw3vpS.jpg
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    klmnumbers wrote: »
    It is odd that most running shoes have super aggressive colors. I actually find mine to be quite cute because they are purple and not like... fluorescent orange. But it's all a matter of taste.

these are mine - brooks running glycerin 12. Also, they are apparently marked down to $98 from $150 right now...:
    jOw3vpS.jpg

I wear Saucony, not Brooks (the arch is a little too high in the Brooks I've tried on), but I think those are really cute. I have white/turquoise/hot pink Guide 8s and some just *atrocious* deep purple/flourescent red Peregrine 5s.

I've come to love my crazy-colored shoes, but I'm glad I don't have to wear them anywhere where I'm not also wearing compression shorts and a tank top. :)
  • Cricket1515
    Cricket1515 Posts: 153 Member
    These are mine and I think they are cute! They are Brooks Ghost 7. I don't use the insoles that come with them though. Also, mine have purple elastic laces.

120161_451_a_ZM.jpg?sw=1200