My personal "ideal" weight is still overweight according to the charts. Is this a bad thing?

Options

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Could we get back to the original question posed by the OP, please? The cause of cancer doesn't have anything to do with the discussion topic.
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    the tl;dr: Listen to your body, enjoy what your doing to benefit it, and don't let yourself nail a number in your head with the BMI charts.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    MFD7576 wrote: »
    What's an onus?

Obligation / responsibility ...in this context short for onus of proof eg she said it, she needs to prove it with studies

Hey if you read my comment you would know that I'm not backing it up with"studies" because like I said I believe that studies and Science are always late. Do you get what I'm trying to say? Now since you are much older and wiser and perhaps have had so much research done or even studied way more than me. You enlighten me? what is the cause of cancer and what did I say wrong and where would you like to correct me. Thank you.

You want enlightenment? Learn to speak to with authority, authority comes with knowledge. Do not make assertions you cannot back-up. Try to avoid being rude.

You came on a thread and threw some wild comment about lifestyle and food causing cancer? Why? It wasn't relevant.

It would be like me suddenly staying crossing the road will result in the death of elephants ...now you prove it
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi there....
    Yes it is. Now before people storm with comments on here saying science this, studies that,... lol let me tell you something Science is always late. Famous doctors, and not the dumb American ones have concluded that people with a few extra pounds live the longest. What? Yes its true. I have lived all over the world and all the doctors have said that to me when I was trying to get to 45 kgs. The main thing though is that you eat healthy foods and keep your cholesterol and blood pressure low etc...My grandma is a famous doctor. Eat Lots of veggies and not the fake cancer causing foods that are plenty in North America. As long as you move around a lot and eat healthy... there is absolutely no problem having a few extra pounds.
    Also listen to your own body and use your own discretion.

A very skewed way of thinking here, would be nice if you backed up that NA has cancer causing foods before throwing out such a wild thought. Im not trying to bait anything here but this is less than supportive for the OP.

Her BP and Cholesterol doesn't correlate with the BMI chart all that much.

Hi please feel free to do your search about Cancer causing foods or Lifestyle that causes cancer and message me with your findings. Thank you, appreciate it.

I got people who visit Chernobyl for vacation, nuclear power plant cleaners and people with a family history of cancer. We didn't have McDonalds in the 1800's and there was plenty of cancer so I would never link food to cancer. Never.

Correct... Maybe you wouldn't link cancer to foods and fyi Mcdoncalds is probably the last of the bad foods out there. But the fact is that the North American foods and lifestyle cause cancer. But hey I might be wrong. Like I said let her use her own discretion and listen to her own body.

You just keep singling out North America, but of course fail to use any science to substantiate your claims, which have no credibility because of your obvious bias. I do hope you are aware that cancer exists outside of North America. I live in the states, and I primarily eat fresh organic produce...according to you my diet is a cancer risk, because I live in North America. Science, which for some reason you don't want to incorporate into your logic, says otherwise. Did you actually have a point or are just on here to bash North America and our "dumb" doctors, who by the way, are responsible for much of the research and medical theory that is used throughout the world today.

Edited: most -> much
  • Desert_flower3
    Desert_flower3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What's an onus?

Obligation / responsibility ...in this context short for onus of proof eg she said it, she needs to prove it with studies

Hey if you read my comment you would know that I'm not backing it up with"studies" because like I said I believe that studies and Science are always late. Do you get what I'm trying to say? Now since you are much older and wiser and perhaps have had so much research done or even studied way more than me. You enlighten me? what is the cause of cancer and what did I say wrong and where would you like to correct me. Thank you.
    No, you are the one who made a claim. How about being specific? Even if what you said is true, how is what you said anything but totally vague and unhelpful?

Which specific foods or ingredients are you claiming people should be avoiding or eating in order to prevent cancer? What are your claims based on? That people know the name of your grandmother?

Hey I did not make a claim. I gave my opinion. You agree or you don't. I owe no explanation Like I said I believe science is always late and that's why I did not post a link up or something for you wonderful smart people. You agree or you don't. If you would like to educate me please send me a message as it is hard to follow this posts. Thank you have a great day
  • MorganMoreaux
    Options
    Not all the life style or foods cause cancer obviously. I don't know why you are offended here.
    All I'm saying to her is be careful and love your body. That's all I'm saying. Just use common sense and think not only about low weight but health. <3

Nothing in any of your previous post conveyed that sentiment.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Hi there....
    Yes it is. Now before people storm with comments on here saying science this, studies that,... lol let me tell you something Science is always late. Famous doctors, and not the dumb American ones have concluded that people with a few extra pounds live the longest. What? Yes its true. I have lived all over the world and all the doctors have said that to me when I was trying to get to 45 kgs. The main thing though is that you eat healthy foods and keep your cholesterol and blood pressure low etc...My grandma is a famous doctor. Eat Lots of veggies and not the fake cancer causing foods that are plenty in North America. As long as you move around a lot and eat healthy... there is absolutely no problem having a few extra pounds.

A very skewed way of thinking here, would be nice if you backed up that NA has cancer causing foods before throwing out such a wild thought. Im not trying to bait anything here but this is less than supportive for the OP.

Her BP and Cholesterol doesn't correlate with the BMI chart all that much.

Hi please feel free to do your search about Cancer causing foods or Lifestyle that causes cancer and message me with your findings. Thank you, appreciate it.

I got people who visit Chernobyl for vacation, nuclear power plant cleaners and people with a family history of cancer. We didn't have McDonalds in the 1800's and there was plenty of cancer so I would never link food to cancer. Never.

Correct... Maybe you wouldn't link cancer to foods and fyi Mcdoncalds is probably the last of the bad foods out there. But the fact is that the North American foods and lifestyle cause cancer. But hey I might be wrong. Like I said let her use her own discretion and listen to her own body.

You just keep singling out North America, but of course fail to use any science to substantiate your claims, which have no credibility because of your obvious bias. I do hope you are aware that cancer exists outside of North America. I live in the states, and I primarily eat fresh organic produce...according to you my diet is a cancer risk, because I live in North America. Science, which for some reason you don't want to incorporate into your logic, says otherwise. Did you actually have a point or are just on here to bash North America and our "dumb" doctors, who by the way, are responsible for most of the research and medical theory that is used throughout the world today.

Was with you till the last part :)
  • MorganMoreaux
    Options
    Hi there....

I'm really tempted to flag this for flame-bating.

Please do.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Could we get back to the original question posed by the OP, please? The cause of cancer doesn't have anything to do with the discussion topic.
    Yes, we can.

And I apologize.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Just lose weight and play it by ear. You will notice that you will have some changing mind ideas along the way :)
    Not negative btw.

I started at 260.6 pounds 9 months ago. Goal was..60.6 pounds off. But after 30 pounds i was like oke we go under the 200 pounds 180 is good too.
    I was anxious to see ONEderland and i got there...and because i dont have problems with eating the way i do, feeling full of energy and good...i kept going.
    At that point (199 pound) i thought well this is easy lets see if we can get to 160.

And my mind plays some weird tricks... while losing those 39 pounds to reach the 160 pounds i decided to go to the 150 pounds :)

Now i am 160 pounds and my mind still wants to go to 150 but also around 144 pound( healthy weight range for me)
    But i feel good, i am not in a hurry and will see when i get there.

This mind game is different for everybody. But for sure that i see a lot of people here that set their first goals and change along the way. The feeling good and new energy and body image gives you a boost to stay motivated.

I lost 101 pounds in 8.5 months and for now i still want to lose 16-20 poundish
    And i started with the idea lets get 60 pounds off ;)
  • KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    What's an onus?

So, what you're saying... is that we should listen to you, some random person on the internet, rather than people who have devoted their life to studying how the human body interacts with food and lifestyle? No thank you.
    We don't KNOW the causes of most cancers. We have vague ideas about some of them, but most are a complete mystery.
    Cancer is basically a mutation of cells in the body... we've linked skin cancer to sun damage, and lung cancer to smoke inhalation, etc... but even those things don't always cause cancer, and those cancers aren't always caused by those things.
    No one is going to listen to anything you say if you can't back it up with facts, and facts=science... science cannot be "behind" because everything is science... we may not understand certain parts of science, but that does not make it faulty.
    Now, who is it that is a famous doctor in your family? Why can't you use her to back you up? And if she agrees with you... guess what: doctors are scientists. If she doesn't agree with you, why are you arguing with someone that spent 8 extra years in school specifically studying the human body?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    You've done brilliantly owlhouse ..congratulations

I would say it is important to give your mind to catch up too..there's no harm in hitting maintenance and then reassessing a few months later

It's all good
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What's an onus?

No, you are the one who made a claim. How about being specific? Even if what you said is true, how is what you said anything but totally vague and unhelpful?

Which specific foods or ingredients are you claiming people should be avoiding or eating in order to prevent cancer? What are your claims based on? That people know the name of your grandmother?

Hey I did not make a claim. I gave my opinion. You agree or you don't. I owe no explanation Like I said I believe science is always late and that's why I did not post a link up or something for you wonderful smart people. You agree or you don't. If you would like to educate me please send me a message as it is hard to follow this posts. Thank you have a great day

You've made multiple claims now try to backpedal and say you've only offered an opinion. Saying that broccoli tastes good or bad is an opinion ... stating that people should not eat "the fake cancer causing foods that are plenty in North America" is making a claim that one, food is "fake" and that it is "cancer causing."
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    That's exactly where I started... I'm 5'5 and used to weigh 155/156 lbs. Maybe if I was more "toned" up I would have been happier there. But if YOU feel comfortable there, that's all that matters. It's not even fat or chubby, it's a damned good size.

I'm gonna poof this very soon but this is me at 5'5 & 156 lbs.

Hot!!!!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    You've done brilliantly owlhouse ..congratulations

I would say it is important to give your mind to catch up too..there's no harm in hitting maintenance and then reassessing a few months later

It's all good

thank you :)

yeah my mind need to catch up...lol instead of shopping at the plus size department hehehe

But i am very relaxed about it all. Aim for 4 pounds a month at this moment...when i lose my pound a week i lose it..when not, no big deal it will be next week.
    Very simple.

I know that for a lot of people it isnt simple. But i made up my mind 9 months ago, i keep my agreement with myself. I also said to myself we are not going to make this hard or difficult lets just do it and keep it simple lol

And it is simple ...to me.
    I dont moan, cry dont get stressed out of fluctuations like last week 5 pounds...bammm Its gone now no biggie.

So we plug along...nice and steady, just loving life and the new body that i am slowly creating and get used to.

• MorganMoreaux
    Options
    Was with you till the last part :)

Lol. I don't know the statistics, but I know we contribute some ;) I was still in shock when I responded.
  • ElisaJtsu
    ElisaJtsu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am really not willing to go into the molecular biology of cancer, so regarding the ORIGINAL post: I think we are too obsessed by scales & numbers nowadays. You recognized that you need some change in your life and you made a start, that's a good thing! See how you feel when you get there. I'm pretty sure a few pounds above so called 'healthy weight' isn't going to stop you from being fit & active. Listen to your body. And good luck!!!
  • MorganMoreaux
    Options
    mrsdrshot wrote: »
    Hi, I'm 5'5" and 177 - and am wanting to get back down to 155, where I feel really good. I'm being encouraged to lose 10 lbs more than that to get into the top of a "normal" body weight for my height, but I feel gross at 145 and can't maintain it. I like me at 155 (heck, I like me now, but you know what I'm saying.) Is it ok to still be overweight according to medical charts?

OP - if that is the weight you feel you're best at, and your blood work is good then aim for that. So much is standardized and general with respect to healthy ranges because it gives us a general idea. There are always going to be outliers, and that is fine. Good luck to you!
  • MermaidBex
    MermaidBex Posts: 49 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Every one is different. The charts only state the AVERAGE individual. If there was any thing that made me absolutely livid about one of my EX Dr's, it was him calling my baby fat. He was literally eating bread crumbs at home. We'd give him plenty of food for his age, but he'd barely pick at his food. I was like, "What? Do you want me to stop feeding him all together?!" The Dr told me to stop being over dramatic, but I swear I wasn't being.

So what's the difference? There actually is a difference in bone structure. Often, this has been used as an excuse by people who are overweight, but that's not to say that people's structures aren't different. My son has a very large bone structure he inherited from his biological father. He eats light and is very active. He isn't fat. However, someone with a slighter frame his size probably really would be over weight. I would say I have a medium frame, from the best of my knowledge (by looking at my wrist), neither stocky (like my son) nor slight. The charts say I should be 120 pounds. But a fitness professional told me that if I'm ever that small, I'd probably be sickly and look like a ghost. That was a long time ago, but I think she said I should be about 140-150. (I'll be seeking professional advice again once I loose some weight!)

Please, please don't make yourself ill trying to fit in with a chart that's only supposed to be stating averages! Every one is different. If you need to seek a second, or even third, fourth, or even fifth opinion, please do so. But be careful not to make yourself ill trying to fit in! It sounds like it's time to just keep fit. That's an enviable position to be in. Keep up the good work! ;)

*Edit: I just noticed you were asking what weight you need to be at according to charts, not according to what a Dr said. My apologies! Still, I would be very careful not to loose too much weight. Ignore the charts. Just eat healthy and get plenty of fresh air, sunshine, exercise, and water. Your body will do what it needs to do after that. You don't want to hurt yourself by trying to lose more weight then you should. Take care!
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I really feel like using a number to dictate how you feel is a shame. I NEVER EVER weigh myself anymore. I have been relatively satisfied with my "size" up until about a year ago when I started to gain, The only way I knew was that my size of jeans were going up. I still dont let doctors tell me how much i weigh when I go in. I understand wanting to track weight but dont let that number be an obsession. there are way too many variables! I will instead monitor more closely my intake and keep working out, maybe try a new program to shock my system. But I wont get on a scale. GOOD luck!

I really feel like I would have wanted to know I was gaining weight before my jeans size went up (that's roughly 10 pounds a size, right?) so I could catch it early, but you do you.

OP, nothing wrong with pausing at 155 and reassessing, or with deciding that a slightly overweight BMI is best for you once you get to your goal weight. But you're 22 pounds away and who knows how you'll really feel at 155. Good luck.