Fat to Fit in a year

Options
bpotts44
bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
I wanted to post my results on here. I’ve been at this fitness thing for the last year now. First, a little background…as a young man I was always in good shape because I was an infantry guy in the Army. Once I got out of the Army I started gaining some weight, but continued to exercise and at least try to stay in shape. About 3 years ago I suffered a herniated disc in my back and I had to stop exercising. I didn’t stop eat though. I gained weight more quickly and got very out of shape. Finally after 1.5 years I decided to get my back fixed. By God’s grace with some physical therapy and inversion table the disc went back in place. Stay on top of your injuries!!

It was a stressful time at work and I never got the motivation to get back exercising and lose the weight. Plus I have 4 young kids that take a lot of my time. I continued to gain weight and finally decided to take charge of the situation. I’m 5’9” tall and weighed 220 to start. I started dieting and exercising on my own, but within a couple of weeks I found MFP and started counting calories. From reading the information on the boards and doing other research I have eventually settled on a moderate protein (100-140 grams per day), low carb (less than 20% of calories), and high fat diet. However, most of my weight loss I accomplished with moderate protein and low fat diet. I avoid like the plague processed foods and try to focus my diet on whole minimally processed food like lean meats, fruits, and vegetables and tried to hit my macros everyday. I logged everything. Anytime I stopped losing weight it was due to poor logging and undisciplined food choices.

In terms of exercise I started doing cardio exclusively both running and cycling, but within a couple of months I started doing body weight resistance exercises as well (pushups, pullups, and core work). Over the winter months I did Insanity to help stay in shape which was always a time I used to gain weight. My weight came off pretty steady with an occasional plateau until I hit the 170 mark. Lately, I’ve struggled to get below the 10% BF mark, but overall I’m happy and proud of my results. I’ve always kind of been more of a cardio guy so here are my running results: I PRed my half marathon last fall at 1:44 30 and have recently done a 5k in 20:50 and a 5 miler at 35:30.

My goals going forward are to continue to try and push down into single digits of body fat and continue to try and improve my running times. My goal is sub 20 minutes in the 5k, sub 42 minutes in the 10k, sub 1:40 in the half, and 10 perfect pullups.

Here is my advice to anyone starting out:

1. Log all your food
2. Hit your macro targets
3. Stay away from processed food especially starchy ones
4. Focus your diet on whole foods as much as you can
5. Do something/anything to workout. Lifting heavy is popular on MFP but even if you just can walk you need to workout for your overall health.
6. Harden up – complaining and whining get you no where
7. Stick with it and don't quit

I couldn’t have done this without the support of my wife and 4 beautiful kids who all sacrificed time from me so I could workout and who all have had their diets altered because of my needs. I’d like to thank my MFP friends who have helped motivate me along the way especially: Tennis Mike, Cindy, Michelle, Trina, Brian, SeanT, and all my other friends on here. I’d also like to thank Sarah and Side Steel for the Eat, Train, Progress group which is extremely helpful.

I’m and engineer by trade so here is some data stats from the journey:

Starting: Final:
Weight: 220 170 lbs
Body Fat: 32-34% 10-11%
Blood Pressure: 142/78 122/70
Resting Heart Rate: 70-75 42-45 bpm
Waist: 42 30 inches
Jean Size: 36 (busting out) 32 (loose)
Pullups: 2 8
Pushups: 8 35

Here are some pictures:
Here is a couple of pictures of fat me:
82c7855b-d3f9-4696-b9dc-7db1515d85c2_zpsf1421ed1.jpg
c0cb66b0-3782-4f83-8a15-438232758c73_zpse89f2364.jpg
Here is me now after the recent 5 miler:
9a7a6e4b-c4ce-48da-8ec9-6f10431fb19e_zps7acdc4c0.jpg
This one here is in my jeans I used to wear and I was busting out of them. This is 10 lbs heavier than today.
pants1_zps3256d912.jpg
Hope you enjoyed my success story!! Best of luck to you all!!

Replies

• Nufraser
    Nufraser Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Great story and results, thanks for the tips, especially harden up! Much continued success on your maintenance journey!
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Awesome work - you look fantastic!
  • sandybeach11
    sandybeach11 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Great job! :smile:

Great advice too - toughen up! So true.
  • treineck
    treineck Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I keep a very small friends list and you have been one of my favorite! You are so inspiring and dedicated!! Congratulations on everything you've posted here! You should've posted the shirtless pic though! That shows great definition! Well done, I'm super proud of you!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • bpotts44
    Options
    Thanks Trina your support for me has been awesome :)
  • madd791
    madd791 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    great story...
  • soysauce6626
    soysauce6626 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Nice progress. Keep it up brotha
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    well done!!!
    how nice to be healthy and look so happy:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this as 5'9" 220lbs is what I was in Jan 2013. Down to 190 now, aiming for 170. Nice to see where I am going.
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! You have done an amazing job!!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, and thanks for the tips.
  • mrscarolbernard
    mrscarolbernard Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on you success. You look great but I think you looked great in your before pics too!
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    This is simply awesome. Great work and dedication. As always, thanks for sharing the steps. It has been a great year.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    awesome story!!! you are an inspiration to us all!!
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options
    Man that is awesome!!!!!! I'm about where you started. 5'9" 220 a few weeks ago, 217 right now. I am 45 though. I have been in and out of shape my whole life. Where did you get the willpower and discipline? Any supplements or just hard work and discipline?

Once again brother, great job!!!!
  • ShaneSki
    ShaneSki Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great job man. Best advice Ive seen yet! lol
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Wow, amazing transformation.

You look so healthy!

Your kids are absolutely adorable, they have beautiful eyes.
  • bpotts44
    Options
    Man that is awesome!!!!!! I'm about where you started. 5'9" 220 a few weeks ago, 217 right now. I am 45 though. I have been in and out of shape my whole life. Where did you get the willpower and discipline? Any supplements or just hard work and discipline?

Once again brother, great job!!!!

The willpower to begin this journey really came out of a desire the be the father and husband my family deserves and to improve my health. I had a couple of health scares that really codified the commitment to a healthier lifestyle. From there the results from the diet and exercise encouraged me to get more results. I haven't been perfect along the way, but I'm committed to never go back.

I used no supplements other than occasional whey protein or shakeology when I was in a rush. I found that I was rarely hungry if I ate a protein, fat, and fruit/veggie at my meals. I did 2-3 meals a day and I'm a big fan of 16/8 IF. When I was hungry I began to take it in stride and just keep myself busy.

I've always kind of liked working out, but the motivation has really come from setting tough goals and trying to reach them. I see this not just with runners, but the heavy lifters as well.

Thank you to everyone else on compliments, especially about my kids! Also mjp you've had my back, thanks.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    well done, sir! yay you!!!!
  • post191rickdye
    post191rickdye Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I see your son is in a technical shirt... did he run the 5 miler with you? Running races with my wife and kids is one of the best blessings that came with my change to a healthier lifestyle...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!