Low sodium, low sugar foods?

Options
00Angela00
00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
I'm over sugar and sodium almost everyday. Some things are obvious (canned soup, carrots, and apples) for being high in these, but even foods that I would have considered healthy put me over ... what are some things people eat for lunches and snacks that are low in sodium and sugar?

Replies

• jjtodd
    jjtodd Posts: 1
    Options
    I would like to know the samething,, I try to find stuff that is fast and easy to eat as i'm walking out the door for work and same way with lunch, hope someone has some ideas, i'm forsure ready for them.. my hands and ankles swell if I have to much sodium, and trying to keep the sugar under control is hard also. JJTodd
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem so not sure of the answer but would love to know as well.
  • caloreecounter
    Options
    Healthy Snacks: Low Fat Low Sugar Low Sodium [Paperback]
    Susan Hodges
    Susan Hodges (Author)
    › Visit Amazon's Susan Hodges Page

2 new from $14.99 7 used from $1.52

This is an inexpensive paperback that might help you with the choices your looking for.
  • jenzimmer
    jenzimmer Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    What is your sodium intake set at? I lowered mine to 1500 and really having a hard time not going over. Also, anyone got some advice for this bloat I've got going on? I'm 9 weeks and people think I'm 9 MONTHS!
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Sodium is really hard for me too. I have high blood pressure and take meds and am also a saltaholic. I'm really trying hard to stay within my sodium guidelines which is 2000 I think. What I have been doing is paying particular attention at the end of the day to my log and seeing which food items are high in sodium. then I review and see how I could cut that. If it's a processed food, there is not much hope. If it's something that is just ridiculously high, I just have been trying to avoid them all together. In doing so this past week, my blood pressure has really dropped a lot -- not sure if that is from the exercise or from the cutting of sodium, but i am convinced the cutting of sodium has got to be helping a lot too.

Sugar is tricky too because lower sugar foods often have higher fat. But again, it's mostly the processed foods that get you here and on the sodium.
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    What is your sodium intake set at? I lowered mine to 1500 and really having a hard time not going over. Also, anyone got some advice for this bloat I've got going on? I'm 9 weeks and people think I'm 9 MONTHS!

from what I've read bloating is normal during early pregnancy and there's not necessarily anything that can completely prevent it. Low sodium and lots of water I would assume to help.
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    I would recommend Chobani nonfat plain Greek style yogurt. It's got less than 100mg of sodium per 6 oz serving, and is low in sugar. You can add your own strawberries or whatnot for the less-processed type of sugar and more flavor!

I also dig little pieces of 70-72% dark chocolate, which has a bit less sugar and doesn't have much sodium either. PLUS low sodium peanut butter has minimal sodium, obviously, and either the same or less sugar of regular peanut butter. Raw or cooked veggies are good too. Though they don't sound exciting, they are low in sugar and sodium, and will fill you up for less calories! I'm a big fan of steamed broccoli. Some cereals also are good as little snacks. Half a cup of regular Fiber One barely has any sugar and around 100mg sodium.

I recommend going to the store and looking at different brands of your favorite types of snacks. You can find different amounts of sodium in different brands. For instance, I was looking for microwaveable Indian food the other day, and one random type of Paneer had a much lower sodium content! It's a lot of looking but you'll find the good stuff amongst a lot of not-so-great products.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    i use sea salt (lower sodium) sparingly and upped using spices when i cook. increased fruits like strawberries, oranges, apples and grapefruit; vegetables that are low gi like celery, zucchini, mixed greens, cabbages, asparagus. mostly i go to fruit for something sweet now. i also use agave nectar or honey.
  • grizbear1225
    Options
    Some snack foods that I use that are good on sodium are Triscuit Brown Rice varieties - Sweet Potato and Red Bean flavors are both under 100 mg of sodium per serving. Pringles 100 calorie tubs are 105 mg sodium and Blue Corn tortilla chips come in at about 60 mg sodium per serving. I personally do like rice cakes, Quaker low salt variety is a mere 15 mg sodium for 1 rice cake (have seen they do make a no salt variety as well).
  • cmelucci
    cmelucci Posts: 2
    Options
    ok.so this is a battle for me too.... I did some research.

Popsickle brand, sugar free creamsickles are a winner for me....
    only 5 sodiums, 0 sugar and 2 fats.

They fix the "I want sumthin sweet" and don't go way over the sodium or sugar level.