cardio or less calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• ihammen
    ihammen Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical almost every day. (I miss maybe one a week). I think it has made a huge difference in my weight loss, and in the way my body looks. My butt and thighs have gotten way smaller than the last time I lost weight and didn't use the elliptical.
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I do feel a lot better when I get my butt on the treadmill for 20-30mins. I've just seen it posted numerous times that strength training> cardio so I just wanted to make sure my efforts weren't all in vain. I will keep doing both!
  • MaeRenee94
    MaeRenee94 Posts: 175
    Options
    Personally for myself cardio helps me lose.
    I feel the reason why so many say not to do is cardio is because they are trying to build muscle. If you're cutting and wanting to lose, than yes cardio along with high rep low weight weight training.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Don't underestimate the benefit of having a healthy heart--where would you be without one?
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I do feel a lot better when I get my butt on the treadmill for 20-30mins. I've just seen it posted numerous times that strength training> cardio so I just wanted to make sure my efforts weren't all in vain. I will keep doing both!

Both is a good choice. One compliments the other :smile:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Cardio is not useless. I keep the cardio card in my sleeve when I need to lose a few pounds of fat fast. That being said, cardio has a burn less and less the more you do it.

To answer your question, I feel that there is no difference between eating 200 calories less or burning 200 calories in exercise. Where it can have an impact is if you cut calories too low and start lacking nutrients in your diet.

I feel the best would be to cut 100 calories in your diet and exercise the 100 left :)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

20-30 mins is fine. Most of the time people are talking about body composition goals and time management when discussing benefits of resistance vs steady state cardio.

There are people spending MANY hours per week grinding away and steady state cardio when it really is not optimal unless training for a specific event.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    The "cardio is useless" mindset seems to be an extreme take and an oversimplification of the mindset that cardio is not as uniquely useful for weight loss. That developed as people have been finding / rediscovering the usefulness of other activities for weight and fat loss. One of the big variations on the theme is how people can use strength training, once considered something only for bodybuilders, as a way for an "average Joe" to lose weight.

Cardio is still useful for a multitude of things, not the least of which is conditioning the cardiovascular system that works in conjunction with the musculoskeletal system.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Reasons why running is good for you besides cardio health:

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/its-all-good

Cardio is not useless and anyone that tells you so is a workout snob who believes their way is the only way. Do what you enjoy. The most important thing is being consistent and continuing to challenge yourself so your calorie burns don't decrease and your fitness level increases.
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Once again, it is something that is dependent on each individual's goals. I have high blood pressure and a history of heart issues in my family. Cardio is imperative for me, as far as I'm concerned. But I also want to be stronger and that means I also lift heavy things. My goal is to lose weight, eat better, improve cardiovascular health and maintain and eventually gain strength. So, my program incorporates all those things.

Find what works for you based on what you want to achieve.
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

20-30 mins is fine. Most of the time people are talking about body composition goals and time management when discussing benefits of resistance vs steady state cardio.

There are people spending MANY hours per week grinding away and steady state cardio when it really is not optimal unless training for a specific event.

Ahh I see, that makes sense. Thank you!
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Cardio is not useless. People who say that are ignorant. It's good for weight loss because it burns calories and it's good for improving health. It improves cardiovascular health (hense the nickname) and it improves fitness.

Exactly! Cardio is great, it's all I am doing to get back on track, and I have lost both weight and inches. To ignore cardio is just silly. :wink: Do both cardio and strength for a double whammy. Strengthen your body, and increase the oxygen flow through your blood. Its a win, win!
  • hdtracy
    hdtracy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've heard that as well about cardio being the same as just not eating the calories in the first place. And I can see where people are coming from with that. But the reason I still do cardio has a lot to do with the mental piece of it.

If I just did a 20 minutes walk/jog on the treadmill, I'm much less likely to over-eat after, because I don't want all that hard work to be "not worth it", you know? So that's one thing.

Also, it allows me to not feel like I'm starving myself.

If I just "cut" by another 200-300 calories a day, that'd put my daily goal somewhere around 1100 which would leave me feeling hungry, deprived, and way too far below my BMR.
    But if I go for that 20-30 minute walk/jog, and burn the 200-300 calories, then I'm still able to have my goal be at 1500 calories a day.

If that even makes any sense! lol.

I'm one that I need to feel like if I'm hungry, I can eat without feeling guilty. I had seeing numbers in the red, and my daily cardio has let me keep those in check!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any way I would have lost this much weight without doing cardio. When people on here criticize cardio, it's because they find if boring and/or because what they mean is that you need to do strength training in addition if you want a toned body.

Yes, for weight loss, you can just not eat those calories instead, but I personally find if much easier to exercise so I can eat more. Low-calorie diets make me tired and irritable.
  • cuttingshadow
    cuttingshadow Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Personal experience - Cardio helps !... I just do walking outdoors or in treadmill for 60 mins - 5 days a week, control calorie according to MFP goal (1 Lb per week loss) and managed to get a result of 2 pound of weight loss per week for the last 3 week since I started. I absolutely did not do any weights training, just walking.. It helped lower my BP as well..

-CS
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    For me doing some cardio is more fun than cutting out 200 calories.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    strength training> cardio
    Now that is a different question entirely than 'is cardio useless'. I think most people would say they are both useful, depending on what you want to achieve.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I cut my cardio to three 30 minute sessions when I began bulking and my conditioning went to hell. Im reintroducing more cardio and upping my calories. Three 30 minute sessions is definitely not enough for everyone. Long distance cycling was not enough. I need to run a few 5ks a week or my conditioning goes to hell and I sweat like a pig and my lifts all suffer.

I may have been okay with a few 30 minute sessions of HIIT, but, every time I do HIIT I injure my left ankle, so, I don't do it.

So, for me, the answer is cardio. More than I planned on. And I'm trying to GAIN weight. So that should tell you that cardio is important, regardless of goals.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Cardio definitely isn't "useless." Its purpose is to develop your cardiovascular health, with the added bonus of burning calories. If you aren't after conditioning, the easier way to lose weight might be to eat a few less calories.

I've seen people on the forums with a quote similar to "you can out-eat your exercise, but it is hard to out-lazy a good diet." I can't take credit for the quote, but I think it's a solid mind-set for weight loss. Diet is the most important piece of the puzzle.