Trouble with sticking with a workout routine

Options
So I have about 60-80 lbs to lose and I cant seem to find an exercise program to stick to. I workout at home joining a gym is not an option (I don't feel comfortable in the gym setting). I have a treadmill, a stationary bike,an elliptical and dozens of workout dvds. Yet I can't see to do any of them consistently for more than two days. I get bored give up then end up going a week without working out.

I go from thinking Im not challenging myself enough so I end up quitting to thinking I'm doing too much so I end up quitting. I need advice

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy. Working out doesn't have to be elliptical, bike or DVD. Go for a real bike ride or a hike or join a softball team. Hiking was the first step for me. After that I sucked it up and joined a cheap gym.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Stop quitting
  • twofastdogs
    twofastdogs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do the same thing every day. If you want to do the elliptical one day, then two days of biking, then a day of walking outside, that's all good. As long as you're getting in some exercise, it's going to be beneficial for you. Just challenge yourself to do something active for some period of time (maybe 30 minutes) every day. I would also second the suggestion that you find some additional things you enjoy doing. Just because they aren't in a gym or on a machine doesn't mean they don't count as exercise. Hang in there - you can do it.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Well the good news is you don't have to exercise to lose weight. All you need is a calorie deficit.

But if you do want to exercise its about finding something you enjoy. The more you enjoy the activity, the more likely you are to stick with it. If you like walking, see if there is a local rail trail. you can go for walks through your neighborhood or check out some local hiking trails. If you are a swimmer there may be open swim times at a local pool you can access.
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Try setting a goal. Sign up for a 5K, decide you want to lift a certain amount of weight by a certain date, or do a set number of pushups without stopping, etc.. Deciding to run a half marathons (and signing up six months ahead of time, before I even started training) did the trick for me.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Stop quitting

^ this.
    ffbrown25 wrote: »
    Try setting a goal.

^ Might help.

My goal: I wanted to stop saying to myself, or others, "back in the old days I used to..." because I was missing out on all the fun things I used to do. That's goal enough for me.

Also: I didn't want to die young, develop health problems, set a bad example for my kids, let down my wife, and... totally selfishly... didn't want to lead a boring life. You can take any one of those notions and turn them into a reason to commit to doing something.

@bridgegetsfit So you have 60-80 pounds to lose. You could do that within a year. Easy. Bonus: you'll be way fitter and feel LOADS better long before you get to the end. In a few short months you could be down 20, 30, 40 pounds. This will feel great. If you pair that with exercise you'll be measurably fitter and feeling excellent. Get going now and you'll be a long way to your goal by the time the winter holiday season rolls around and you may find you end up in January not being heavier (my experience, first time in a long time).

Stop quitting indeed, you don't have the luxury of time to toss away. None of us do.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    So I have about 60-80 lbs to lose and I cant seem to find an exercise program to stick to.

What if i told you you could lose weight just by reducing your calorie intake. B)
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Set goals and work towards them. That's what keeps me motivated.
  • dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    find something you really like doing. find a program with a schedule set out for you.
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel..im totally the same..the good intention lasts a few days but i guess nothing no one can say will make you exercise..its something you just have to do if you really want it. Try setting a mini goal e.g il exercise for 2 weeks and then see how much youve lost..maybe seeing a loss on scale or measurements may be the push you need to keep doing exercise.mind you..easier said than done but im trying to do it like that.good luck!
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Rethink the gym. Not all will make you feel uncomfortable. Try Crossfit. It's more of a community feel and with the class structure staying motivated is easier.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I took to exploring new trails with my dogs. Always something different when you look up a trail and see where it goes.

I also took up social dancing. It's pretty inexpensive. Zumba is an option if you don't want to dance WITH anyone. Find a teacher who mixes things up.
  • bridgegetsfit
    bridgegetsfit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Re. your treadmill - because running is generally quite boring (particularly when done indoors), I take my iPad and I rest it on the machine in front of me, and then plug it into my treadmill's built-in speakers. Then I play movies or TV shows via Youtube / Netflix / etc. Keeps my mind off what I'm doing and allows me to log multiple miles at a time. One of these days I'm gonna get through a full-length movie.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Stop quitting

Stuck the landing on this one DavPul! B)