The scale is the devil!

Options
When building muscle and losing fat stay away from the scale!!!

Replies

• Lonnad1
    Lonnad1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    sduenas4 wrote: »
    When building muscle and losing fat stay away from the scale!!!

Too true! I have lost more inches than pounds!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What?

Ok it is extremely difficult to build muscle and lose fat at the same time, apart from some weird magic around noob lifters and teen boys.

It takes dedication, determination and a whole heap of time to build muscle whilst in a defecit ...particularly for a woman. Hypertrophy is simply not easy. If you are following a decent progressive resistance programme and are really careful with managing your macro intake it may be possible

If water weight fluctuations due to hormones, change-up in exercise or sodium in your diet have a tendency to freak you out, then yes avoid weighing too regularly. But otherwise the scale is a useful tool in measurement, particularly in association with a trendline app, not an enemy
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I think you're fine unless the scale says 666 when you step on it.
  • Probob387
    Probob387 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Weight yourself once a week. Weight yourself in the morning upon waking. This will give you a more true weight. If your looking to add muscle and lose weight it is possible but does depend on your current BMI.

Look into a local Crossfit box . Our community is supportive and very knowledgeable. I have seen a lot of people reach their goal weight in as little as 6 months. Strength comes but has to have a solid progressive structure to be successful.

Work hard and remember your mind will quit way before your body.
  • sduenas4
    sduenas4 Posts: 8 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You burn fat when weightlifting cause you are building muscle so the more "gains" you get the more fat you lose. Muscle weighs more then fat so I would recommend not weighing yourself everyday. Measuring yourself would be the ideal approach cause you will be losing lots of inches not so much weight and if you are losing lots of weight it's probably just water weight. Slowly but surely is the best way.