C25K Day 1 nearly killed me

Options
2»

Replies

• Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 6 of c25k and will echo what everyone else has said - it does get easier! I absolutely love this program and have grown to really look forward to the workouts. I also agree with all those who said to slow down, listen to your body and don't hesitate to repeat days if you need to.

Also, not sure if this has been mentioned, but there's a c25k group and it's helped me tremendously. Good luck!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Just stick with it... you will improve. I promise, or your money back! :smiley:

My case: started running when I was at my heaviest last September. I wasn't able to run even 1 km without stopping, wheezing, usually multiple times. Despite feeling discouraged I forced myself to get out and run 3 times a week every week and slowly built up the distance/time on my feet. By the end of December I'd reached 5km as a maximum run distance and run just over 200km. It felt like a lot at the time. I was very happy.

It's now July and I now run 200km or more every month. And I'm even more happy. My long runs now are 18 to 25km in length. It's a real delight to be able to head out and decide on the fly if I want to turn a run into a longer run and know my body will respond.

I'm 53 and have lost 75 pounds. Even though I've still got 15-20 pounds left to lose I feel absolutely great and am already quite fit.

All I did was stick with it, build slowly at first, and, as I gained capacity, challenged myself to do a little more. Anyone can do it.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I found week 1 so difficult that I ended up creating myself a "Week 0" and I only ran for 15 seconds at a time. The nice thing about C25K is that it does build up pretty slowly and you can repeat sessions if you really feel like you're not ready for the next one.
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing ur experience. I have just bought a new bike and a couple of weeks in, my hand is weak and i think putting too much pressure when riding, lost my confidence because I was building distance and speed nicely on the bike. So just taking it easy and cycling a little to see if I can improve with padded gloves and thinking about my style.

Building up my fitness with some running will be great as it burns calories and is a back up plan for me. Closest I ever did was on the treadmill before, 1 min running 4 mins brisk walking but think I was shocked with 60 seconds, 90 seconds as it was pretty intense. Will keep going and hope for improvement when I run next on Friday
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    It will get easier, then harder, then easier again. Repeat.

Go slow and repeat weeks if you don't feel ready to move up.

You can do this, I promise.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Just don't be discouraged when improvement isn't there. Developing a base level of fitness and building your cardio pulmonary system is a process, not a one day to the next sort of thing. Keeping a log, or if you have a smart phone, have it keep it for you, will show you improvement over time measured in weeks not one session to the next. If you stick with C25K you'll definitely see major improvements as the weeks roll by, and this will help you with everything else you do including cycling or just working around the house.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Congrats on taking positive steps towards a healthier you. :)

Don't get discouraged with how hard week 1 day 1 was for you. Riding a bike works different muscles and is less intense than running or jogging, especially if you are running or jogging on asphalt.

1. Make sure you have good shoes (that aren't worn out or too worn in) that fit properly. If you don't that will lead to back soreness, shin splints, and general make it more uncomfortable running or jogging.

2. Weather can affect your running / jogging ability, especially if it is hot and humid.

3. Go slow. When first starting out, your jog should really be no more than a brisk walk pace at best. Snail pace is an apropos analogy. If you are moving faster than that, huffing as you are moving forward, making it all but impossible to carry on a normal conversation with a person next to you, you are moving too fast.

4. Try focusing on your breathing as you are walking and slow jogging. You want to breath from your diaphragm, not your chest. Breathing from your chest may feel like you are getting enough oxygen, but you really aren't, compared to breathing from your diaphragm. It helps if you can get into a regular cadence with your steps and your breathing, which is a lot easier to control and work on when you are first starting out. :smile:

On your non- app days, regular walking or cycling will be of great benefit not only to your overall fitness, but to your new running program (although it doesn't feel like a running program right now).

*** Make sure not to overdo it on your non-app days. Your body needs time to recover from the new load increase and foreign muscle usage you are requiring.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    You should not be out of breath or feel your heart pound. You should be able to talk. This is a pace thats sustainable. It gets easier. Your legs will get stronger and not be so bad. Make sure to do a little plyo if you can this helps so much and dead leg lifts (beginner) youtube. This helps so much and calf exercises and stretch before. Pretty soon you will run straight no stopping! It is a great accomplish ment and feeling! Good luck!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    SLOW DOWN

Best advice I ever got was just to slow down. It doesn't matter how fast you go as long as it's faster than your walking pace. Also don't be afraid to redo weeks. If you feel that your pace is too slow to move on, do the week you're on again and again. You're building stamina with this.
  • joolieb1
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, will keep going x
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    joolieb1 wrote: »
    anyone else doing C25K? I haven't been sitting on the couch for some time (walking, cycling, step aerobics) and I found Day 1 really hard, more challenging than a 20 mile bike ride. Does it get easier and when? Need to do something on top of cycling to get fit!

It took me 4 attempts to complete day one.
    It does get easier but only in the time frame your body allows.
    Take it slow. If it was easy, it wouldn't be a challenge and if its not a challenge, you wont feel a sense of achievement when you complete the next day =)
  • HazenAllen
    HazenAllen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The first time I did it, week 1 was pretty difficult. It does get easier though.

Even if you gotta just fast walk your "run" speeds, it's better to acclimate upwards than kill yourself trying to do too much at once.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You should not be out of breath or feel your heart pound. You should be able to talk. This is a pace thats sustainable. It gets easier. Your legs will get stronger and not be so bad. Make sure to do a little plyo if you can this helps so much and dead leg lifts (beginner) youtube. This helps so much and calf exercises and stretch before. Pretty soon you will run straight no stopping! It is a great accomplish ment and feeling! Good luck!

LOL if I didn't jog because I was out of breath and my heart was pounding, I'd NEVER jog. Even the slowest jog has me panting and my heart rate up around 150. That's why I'm working on it!!
  • pinkpetunia2015
    pinkpetunia2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I literally just got home from Week 1, Day 1 of C25K. It was really hard, I'm not going to lie. Feet and ankles are sore, I sweat a ton (which I like), and I feel a sense of accomplishment. It was definitely harder than I had anticipated. I'm F/41/174lb. I had such a hard time breathing and absolutely could not carry on a conversation during the running phase nor for the first 30-40 sec. of the following walking phase. Made me feel extremely out of shape, but I won't give up!
  • joolieb1
    Options
    Sent u a friend request n message, we can maybe support each other?
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I literally just got home from Week 1, Day 1 of C25K. It was really hard, I'm not going to lie. Feet and ankles are sore, I sweat a ton (which I like), and I feel a sense of accomplishment. It was definitely harder than I had anticipated. I'm F/41/174lb. I had such a hard time breathing and absolutely could not carry on a conversation during the running phase nor for the first 30-40 sec. of the following walking phase. Made me feel extremely out of shape, but I won't give up!
    It is good that you aren't going to give up.

Slow down even more on your jog. If you can't carry at conversation, you are going too fast. If slow is nothing more than a brisk walk right now, that is fine.
  • AmyKinns2012
    AmyKinns2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Week 7 here and yes it will get easier. A couple of friends and I are doing it and we have all modified it to suit ourselves. One has repeated weeks another has skipped. I only run once a week (Sundays) and elliptical and/or cycle in between. Just remember that the program is a guideline so tweak it to fit your own likes and needs.
    Getting past the 5 minute run was when I really felt things get better.
  • tennischic74
    tennischic74 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday and felt extremely accomplished to have finished because I AM NOT a runner (outside of chasing balls down for tennis)....and my calf muscles were burning. :#
    Is there a way to track or sync C25K here or would Fitbit be the best bet? I do have one but didn't have it charged for my day 1 run/walk. I hope to try a 5k in September or October. Not sure if I can do it, so we'll see.
  • joolieb1
    Options
    I'm not sure how to track it apart from entering number of minutes running plus number of minutes brisk walking. I was disappointed that it was so few calories burned because it was 30 mins and I felt it was strenuous. I start week 2, day 1 tomorrow! I chose the running app because my cycling had caused a problem with my hand and needed something I could do to get fit. Always wanted to run but felt too scared to start. Feel free to add me, joolieb1 and also message me if u want encouragement

Julie
  • baconsgirl
    baconsgirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    First, I am still obese. I'm not officially jogging at "real" jogging speeds. Right now, I jog at speeds most people power walk at (currently at 3.9). I actually really enjoy it and also started with a C25K app. What has helped me most is listening to my body and using the slower speeds to start. I also planned on stretching the program out longer (which is designed for 2 months from start to finish) to 4 months. I haven't had aches and pains since I started a month ago and credit that to not doing to much to fast.

I also would recommend get fitted for the right sneakers. A change in sneaker, either replacing old ones or getting fitted for the right ones, will do wonders for you. HTH.

3053719.png