lactose intolerant breakfast, needs protein

Options
MissFlawed
MissFlawed Posts: 89 Member
Morning everyone (or evening, depending on where you live)

Though I never got it checked, the fact that my stomach burns and that I feel bloated after eating any kind of diary product can only mean one thing (I think?). I don't handle lactose very well.

Now I never let that stop me from eating diary. Since it's the only way I know to include enough protein in my daily nutrition (I want to try to build muscle). My breakfast usually includes quark, lots of quark. I just ignore the burning sensation and drink lots of water to 'cool it down'. It works, but I realise that it's probably not the best thing for my body.

So I was wondering, any breakfast ideas which include lots of protein (25g+) but no diary products? Eggs are fine, but I usually already eat those for lunch. I also don't use protein powder (might start with it though).

Oats and smoothies are a plus! ;)

Replies

• Hexennacht78
    Hexennacht78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do use protein shakes and am lactose intolerant. I use a band called Orgain, which is vegetable protein (whey gets me too). I do two scoops of chocolate, a banana, cup of unsweetened cashew or almond milk, and a tablespoon of peanut butter. Nets me 27 g protein, 10 g fiber and under 400 calories. It definitely keeps me full for hours! Not quite what you were looking for but since no one else had answered yet it's thought I'd throw it out there.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to stop thinking of "breakfast food". The whole concept was invented by the companies who sell so-called breakfast food. Have a sandwich. Have a salad. Leftovers, a wrap, cold cuts...
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I often have leftovers from dinner the night before - yesterday I had cabbage rolls with boiled potatoes. :) Or a tin of tuna mashed up with something like avocado, mayonnaise, hot sauce, whatever.

I do also use dairy-free protein shakes and find they work well, sometimes I'll put a scoop of powder into a smoothie. Vanilla protein powder, banana, and peanut butter is a favourite.
    Can also add it to something like pancakes or oatmeal.
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My typical is an omelet, but I'm sure you could omit the ounce of cheese or use a substitute: 3 eggs + bell peppers and mushrooms + 1 slice of bacon + butter in the pan (I'm sure you could use a different oil).

Does ALL dairy both you? I know that yogurt typically doesn't bother slightly sensitive people because the active cultures help break down the lactose for you.

You could also make a smoothie with almond or soy milk (or whatever lactose sub. you like)
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Oatmeal for the win! :)
    The great thing about it is you can add in whatever you want, and just cook it with water if you can't do milk.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Their are plenty of options, you can so a web search for recipes that are dairy-free that incorporate protein powder, Lots of people eat proates-oats with protien added, protein pancakes, smoothies with a protein supplement. You can replace milk with substitutes such as soy milk, almond milk, hazelnut milk etc this will come down to what you find palatable. There is also dairy free yogurt, cream-cheese, cheese etc

Lactose intolerance is common so there are a lot of alternatives, just beware that some are not very nice whereas others are fantastic. I myself have been Vegan for years and have had no problem hitting my macro goals.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I just had turkey bacon, eggs, toast with coconut oil. My kids had chicken sausage. You can always scramble eggs with tofu, make a "western" omelet with black beans, have toast with some kind of nut butter.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I've been lactose intolerant for years. I just use the Lactaid brand of dairy instead - their milk and cottage cheese are great, lactose free, and have the same amount of protein as the regular stuff.

You can also buy a yogurt maker and make your own yogurt, which is delicious.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have taken to eating my oats with fruit juice no added sugar which is delicious. Not much protein in this though.
    As an "almost vegan" now, i have to think about protein too and i get it from my whole grain bread, my neighbours wholesome happy eggs, the bean dishes i make (1/2 cup), lentil patties, add a few nuts. You can try soy milk.
    In our supermarkets, there's also lactose free milk.

You need to learn how to cook and enjoy beans and lentils. Peanuts are great too.
    If you are not eating meat, or dairy, then you should be eating beans three times a day. The easiest thing is baked beans but this is not suitable for every day so you need to learn how to cook them in a yummy way. Get some recipes.

If you vegan, you must take B12 vitamins and you need to do further research to make sure you are getting enough nutrients. There is no alternative for B12 so do'nt get distracted by what anyone else says one the subject. The vegan society says you have to do it so they should know.
  • MissFlawed
    MissFlawed Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    barkvet1 wrote: »
    I do use protein shakes and am lactose intolerant. I use a band called Orgain, which is vegetable protein (whey gets me too). I do two scoops of chocolate, a banana, cup of unsweetened cashew or almond milk, and a tablespoon of peanut butter. Nets me 27 g protein, 10 g fiber and under 400 calories. It definitely keeps me full for hours! Not quite what you were looking for but since no one else had answered yet it's thought I'd throw it out there.

I might start using protein powder as soon as I'm able to hit the gym (I'm training at home now, so I have more time to prepare breakfast). So thanks for letting me know about the product! 10g of fiber doesn't hurt either, :)
    Does ALL dairy both you? I know that yogurt typically doesn't bother slightly sensitive people because the active cultures help break down the lactose for you.

You could also make a smoothie with almond or soy milk (or whatever lactose sub. you like)

Hm actually, yoghurt and quark bother me the most. Milk is fine as long as it comes with something else like cereal or oats (or in pancakes). If I drink it on its own, my stomach is on fire. Never had a problem with cheese.

Thanks for the recipe idea as well! :)
    Oatmeal for the win! :)
    The great thing about it is you can add in whatever you want, and just cook it with water if you can't do milk.

Hell yeah! Love your picture btw :smiley:
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    I've been lactose intolerant for years. I just use the Lactaid brand of dairy instead - their milk and cottage cheese are great, lactose free, and have the same amount of protein as the regular stuff.

You can also buy a yogurt maker and make your own yogurt, which is delicious.

I didn't know the lactose free options had the same amount of protein, great to hear, thanks! :smiley:

• eswims802
    eswims802 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Protein breakfast bites-
    1/4 cup agave nectar
    1/3 cup peanut butter
    3 scoops protein powder
    1 T chocolate chips
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    The symptoms you're describing don't really sound like typical lactose intolerance to me. It usually causes (quite stinky) gas and bloating, I've never heard of a burning sensation before. Is it heart burn or in your stomach?

As others have said, yogurt should be fine for most lactose intolerant people. I can certainly eat it with no problem. The presence of other foods doesn't mitigate the effects of milk or cheese or anything like that. Most whey protein isolates are fine for lactose intolerant people as well.

I'm still not sure it's lactose intolerance though. Maybe you should ask a doctor.
  • hornseyme
    hornseyme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to stop thinking of "breakfast food". The whole concept was invented by the companies who sell so-called breakfast food. Have a sandwich. Have a salad. Leftovers, a wrap, cold cuts...
    Agreed.