Only been Running twice and having Hip Pain :(

Options
Is it normal to have hip pain when you first start running?
I don't experience pain while running,... it's after.
The pain is at the front of both Hips.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    do you stretch after your runs?
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    do you stretch after your runs?

I must admit, the 1st time i didn't :# ....but the 2nd time i did remember to do them.
  • kathryntyne74
    kathryntyne74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Get your gait checked out, it's probably your running shoes. I've got the same problem in one hip and it started as my running shoes got old.
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm experiencing the same thing!! Did c25k week 1 and was fine but after week 2 my hips were killing me, mainly my right hip. Yesterday it was so bad I could hardly walk... Stretching does nothing so I'm having proper shoes fitted next week.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yes, it could well be my running shoes. (Just presumed my Nike Shox would be OK, as i Powerwalked in them for months without any problems).
    Will definitely look into this!
  • Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Get you gait/running style get checked out, from that you can pick the best shoes for you.

Or in my case I got told not to run as my gait was so bad I would end up with a perm injury if I kept at it. So now I nike instead :D
  • hornseyme
    hornseyme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yeah sorry to echo but stretch. Nothing crazy but 30 seconds on each..plenty of hip flexor stretch sequences online
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Glute strength, glute strength, glute strength.

In women, most lower-body running injuries track back to insufficient core strength, especially glutes and hips. (For men it seems to come from the "ankle up.")

New shoes is another thing to try, if you're trying to run in old ones or in not-running shoes. Gait analysis is overrated for injury prevention, but it IS a useful way for beginners to cut through the intense jargon of running shoe sales talk.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Considering you just started running it's probably just a normal reaction to using muscles in a new/different way. Just give your body some time. I lean heavily toward it just being DOMS... You ran, and you don't run normally, so now your muscles hurt. Front of hips means hip flexors, which are used a lot during a run. It's just like when you first start lifting weights and then are really sore the next day. Give yourself a week or two of consistent running. If it still hurts then start looking at your shoes, gait, etc. And stretch of course.
  • RCnFinntastic
    RCnFinntastic Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Glute strength, glute strength, glute strength.

In women, most lower-body running injuries track back to insufficient core strength, especially glutes and hips. (For men it seems to come from the "ankle up.")

New shoes is another thing to try, if you're trying to run in old ones or in not-running shoes. Gait analysis is overrated for injury prevention, but it IS a useful way for beginners to cut through the intense jargon of running shoe sales talk.

this. stretching is important but do NOT underestimate the importance of glute and core strength.

I've had a nagging hip issue for a few years due to running - working on the glutes is the only thing that's started to help. everything else has just treated the symptom.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Did you run as fast as you could? I only have tight hip flexors after running if I've been doing flat-out sprints (because I don't usually and it involves taking much longer strides). If you're just starting to run, you are better off doing a slow jog and avoiding long strides.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    edited July 2015
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    Did you run as fast as you could? I only have tight hip flexors after running if I've been doing flat-out sprints (because I don't usually and it involves taking much longer strides). If you're just starting to run, you are better off doing a slow jog and avoiding long strides.

On my first run i did go quite fast at times (i was a Sprinter in my younger days, so i guess it was just habit ;) ), but the 2nd time i slowed down the pace.
    I'll do as @pzarnosky suggested, as it could be just down to DOMS - so i'll give it another week and see what happens.
    In the meantime, i'll watch a few youtube vids on running form, continue to go slow and always do stretches before & after.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »

On my first run i did go quite fast at times (i was a Sprinter in my younger days, so i guess it was just habit ;) ), but the 2nd time i slowed down the pace.
    I'll do as @pzarnosky suggested, as it could be just down to DOMS - so i'll give it another week and see what happens.
    In the meantime, i'll watch a few youtube vids on running form, continue to go slow and always do stretches before & after.

Great plan. If it persists after doing these things, how is the alignment of your back and neck? My neck is really "off" due to a car accident years ago and if not properly aligned it causes me hip and leg pain when walking (jogging and running would apply as well).

Also, when you stretch, sit on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you. Are your legs even? Sometimes one leg can be just slightly longer than the other and that can affect your gait and cause pain if not compensated for properly.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Also, when you stretch, sit on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you. Are your legs even? Sometimes one leg can be just slightly longer than the other and that can affect your gait and cause pain if not compensated for properly.
    Didn't think of that,.....but i think they're even.