Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Question about monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats in this app under nutrition tab

hi I read in one of the forum that monounsaturated and polyunsaturated are good fats , this I read in this app's blog 3 days back , I am confused how this nutrition tab on app's home page work . For me it shows my daily goal for monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat is N/A and if I consumed let's say 10 fm of both then it shows next column in red color giving me a signal that you should not eat it .now my question is if this app says in one place these are good fats then why the confuses us in nutrition app ? How you guys manage your day with this confusing information ?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    There are no goals for these fats and the data is even more unreliable for foods. So I ignore it completely.

There was an issue where a goal of 0 was shown but this meant "no target" rather than "don't eat any of this".
  • HarrryTheGreat
    HarrryTheGreat Posts: 3 Member
    wow...thanks for the information . For me it shows TRANS FAT GOAL = 0 ,so far i consumed 1gm so its showing -1gm in the Left column . Did you say ZERO(0) means no target .I know you mentioned it above but just want to make sure I understand this completely , 0 Means do not eat ?

One other question lets say in my nutrition tab it shows my daily Protein ,Carbohydrate has some target . If I am not eating enough food to match the goal in that case i will be short of what my detail daily limits are .What happens technically in that case ? will I have some other problem because of the deficiency of those items ? Like lets say Protein target was 110 but all day I was manage to get only 50 gms of Protein then will I have some medical problem ?
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited July 2015
    I simply consider some of the nutrient goals (unsaturated fats, protein, fiber, potassium, and vitamin A/C and calcium/iron) as minimums instead of maximums, so I shoot to get into "the red" with those nutrients.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Yes, there is no target.

Don't overreact to the red. Some things (like calories or sat fat or sodium, if you care about those) it indicates that you are over a maximum. Other things it is actually good to go over and bad to be under, like potassium and fiber (within limits, obviously). Many of us set protein and fat as minimums or have a general range in mind or simply like to monitor the numbers without worrying about going over and under.

Personally, the only number that I really care about going over is calories. I like to be in the ballpark or over on protein, over on fiber, and I monitor the rest to make sure my numbers aren't out of whack.

Also, as yarwell notes, on some things the entries don't include all the information, so the numbers you see may not be accurate. Depending on how you log things, for example, a lot of your iron and potassium may not be included.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Although the individual goals of Poly Fat and Mono Fat are undefined and should be labeled as not applicable (N/A), the sum of the goals of Poly Fat and Mono Fat is defined and equals the goal of Total Fat minus the goal of Saturated Fat, given the goal of Trans Fat is zero.

Goal (Poly + Mono + Trans + Saturated) = Goal (Total Fat)
    ...rearranging...
    Goal (Poly + Mono) = Goal (Total Fat - Saturated - Trans)
    ...since Goal (Trans) = 0
    Goal (Poly + Mono) = Goal (Total Fat - Saturated)

Just plug your daily goals for Total Fat and Saturated into the above equation to find your daily goal of Poly Fat plus Mono Fat.

Please see this post for additional information on the reporting of the issue with MFP incorrectly changing the goals of Poly Fat and Mono Fat from N/A to zero (0). This issue seems to be fixed on the iOS app, but it still is an issue on the Web version and the Android app as of today.
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10163604/poly-monounsaturated-fats#latest