Did anyone watch "Extreme Weight Loss" last night.

Options

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I could never watch the show because that Chris Powell is like nails on a chalkboard to me...ugh.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    I think that you learn nutrition in culinary school, as a prerequisite. You also learn restaurant management

I didn't know that. Is that so they know how much sodium they can add to their creations without killing someone?
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    I think that you learn nutrition in culinary school, as a prerequisite. You also learn restaurant management

I didn't know that. Is that so they know how much sodium they can add to their creations without killing someone?

went to culinary school.. took one nutrition class for associates then one more for bachelors... in grad school for nutrition now. You learn how to cook in culinary school not if you should or should not be feeding people the food.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

for my associates in culinary arts no we did not take a restaurant management class. There are programs for front of the house.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    How is it even possible to lose a 135lbs in 6 months?

She had two trainers and a nutritionist working with her. Surely they did not push her at an unsafe pace?

The show began by making Pearls (an obese, out of shape woman in her 30s) run a surprise 5k in street clothes to "prove" she deserved their help. Then they were shocked when Pearls turned out to have a torn meniscus. Last week, Heidi kept hitting Jenn in the face to teach her to stand up for herself or something.

Was there a nutritionist, or just celebrity chef Rocco DiSpirito? Pearls has a long history of eating disorders, so I hope she received lots of support, education, and counseling.

Bumpity

I do love this show, but compared to Chris, Heidi can be um... a bit of a change of pace

Watching the season on Hulu right now. They can't produce this show fast enough for me lol. I hope it's not been canceled already haha
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Slightly off topic, I enjoyed crossfit's killing the fat man series. Gary Roberts seems to still be active in crossfit games, so he has not yet given up on his new lifestyle. Episodes are on youtube, and are old, so this is pretty strong results+maintenance for this one individual.

Osric
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    In my totally non-professional opinion, I would say this type of weight loss isn't possible for the majority of people purely for the fact that it is intense and unrealistic for 'real life' situations. The people on these shows have to endure all day every day extreme exercise and calorie deficits (monitored strictly by doctors, I presume), Pushing their bodies to the absolute limit every single day - it's really no wonder they are dropping such enormous amounts of weight so quickly. I'm sure it's inspirational to watch but take with a pinch of salt, this isn't something you or I will be able to just 'do' so we certainly shouldn't compare our losses to the 'extreme weight loss' TV shows! I'll stick to my 1-2lbs per week and having a life :D
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Don't forget for the first three months of a year transformation, the person spends at a weight loss retreat at a university centre. They are not living their normal live. Some spend a further three months at the Powell's home. It isn't that surprising that some have very high losses in their time at the retreat as well as the Powell's home for those who go there.
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I would say people are taking a risk losing that much weight so quickly no matter how much supervision they are under. In general these shows should be taken with a pinch of salt (not literally of course, that'd just be unhealthy) and not be seen as realistic for a normal person. There is a reason we never have a 'where are they now' episode for past contestants, the shows are only focussed on the short term for entertainment purposes, not anything long term to promote fitness and health.

It seems in the UK we don't have any of the extreme weight loss shows running for any length of time (that is the UK versions), I don't know if that is anything to do with the law and potential repercussions from unhappy contestants or just due to declining interest in the shows. About the only realistic weight loss show I've seen is Fat Families which even did a series catching up with people who had been on the show. This highlighted as much the ease with which people can fall back in to old habits as it did the success of some of the families.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have never watched any of these shows until last nights episode of "Extreme Weight Loss". The lady started at 296lbs and after 3 months she was down to 215. Three months later she weighed 161lbs! That's 135lbs lost in 6 months. She went on to lose another 13lbs in the next 6 months to finish at 148lbs! She did end up having skin removal surgeries but she looked so much healthier and happier after a year.

So anyways based on the info that I see tossed around here, how is it even possible to loose a 135lbs in 6 months? That is an average of 5.625lbs a week. So based on 3500cals being close to 1 lb that would mean that she was eating at a 19687 calorie deficit. She had two trainers and a nutritionist working with her. Surely they did not push her at an unsafe pace?

Your fist mistake is assuming they lost 100% fat instead of lots of muscle.

Muscle is ~600 calories/lb. If we assumed they lost 50% fat and 50% muscle, then it works out to 2050 calories/lb instead of the often quoted 3500 calories/lb. So, throw in a decent amount of water weight off the start and a chunk of muscle and lean body mass, and you can start to see why they are able to lose so much weight so fast.

The second mistake is assuming it is safe in any way. If this link - http://nypost.com/2015/01/18/contestant-reveals-the-brutal-secrets-of-the-biggest-loser/ - is to be believe, it is unsafe across the board.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    I have never watched any of these shows until last nights episode of "Extreme Weight Loss". The lady started at 296lbs and after 3 months she was down to 215. Three months later she weighed 161lbs! That's 135lbs lost in 6 months. She went on to lose another 13lbs in the next 6 months to finish at 148lbs! She did end up having skin removal surgeries but she looked so much healthier and happier after a year.

So anyways based on the info that I see tossed around here, how is it even possible to loose a 135lbs in 6 months? That is an average of 5.625lbs a week. So based on 3500cals being close to 1 lb that would mean that she was eating at a 19687 calorie deficit. She had two trainers and a nutritionist working with her. Surely they did not push her at an unsafe pace?

Your fist mistake is assuming they lost 100% fat instead of lots of muscle.

Muscle is ~600 calories/lb. If we assumed they lost 50% fat and 50% muscle, then it works out to 2050 calories/lb instead of the often quoted 3500 calories/lb. So, throw in a decent amount of water weight off the start and a chunk of muscle and lean body mass, and you can start to see why they are able to lose so much weight so fast.

The second mistake is assuming it is safe in any way. If this link - http://nypost.com/2015/01/18/contestant-reveals-the-brutal-secrets-of-the-biggest-loser/ - is to be believe, it is unsafe across the board.

Doesn't really work that way. You're not just going to lose 50% muscle just because.
    Weight loss includes muscle loss. Especially with extreme high deficit diets.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    What doesn't get addressed much is the mental state of the contestants. Yeah, they have some excerpts of the "tough" times, but no one is going to convince me that years and years of mental anguish, is going to be fixed in 6 months. Trading off one issue, can also lead to abuse of another. It's not uncommon of gastric bypass patients who can't eat anymore, to use gambling, drugs, alcohol, etc. to try to soothe their ongoing mentality of needing something for comfort.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i have never watched it and i never will.

the methods and regimen they use for the weight loss are not sustainable long term and i believe VERY dangerous and from my understanding, they have some pretty nasty contract clauses for the contestants, too.
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I didn't watch that, but I did see 10 minutes of My Big Fat Fabulous Life on TLC yesterday and was pretty bothered by it...seems someone is signing off on this person being healthful at a morbidly obese size because she has PCOS (which plenty of people do without the obesity)...it's a bit of a circus.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I do love Extreme Weight Loss, but compared to Chris, Heidi can be um... a bit of a change of pace

Watching the season on Hulu right now. They can't produce this show fast enough for me lol. I hope it's not been canceled already haha

The show is now one hour, rather than two. And it's gotten gimmicky: first three "Love Can't Weight" wedding-centric shows. Then a hoarder with Matt Paxton and Dr. Tobin, and an aspiring fashion designer with Tim Gunn. The only nutrition info is courtesy of Rocco DiSpirito. The latest episode had an infomercial segment for CamelBak Relay, where Kim told Chris & Heidi: "It fills at the speed of my faucet."
    I did see 10 minutes of My Big Fat Fabulous Life on TLC yesterday and was pretty bothered by it...seems someone is signing off on this person being healthful at a morbidly obese size because she has PCOS (which plenty of people do without the obesity).

I thought I was the only one! I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost the weight just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn.

I've only seen snippets of the show, so I have no idea if they've ever discussed calories in vs. calories out.
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Oh, she has no interest in losing weight - it's presumably about how she's healthy and loving life being morbidly obese.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Oh, she has no interest in losing weight - it's presumably about how she's healthy and loving life being morbidly obese.

oh thats the big fat happy life or some bs.

now, i can tell you when i was 260 pounds (at 5'1) i was HAPPY but im a happy person. I was NOT happy with the way i looked, how my clothes felt, and the physical ramifications my weight were starting to have on me (sore hips and ankles, back aches, out of breath easy, etc).

70 pounds lighter (and more to go) and I am STILL HAPPY, and more importantly I FEEL better and my heath has improved a hundredfold! and i look better ;)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    edited September 2015
    Options

oh thats the big fat happy life or some bs.

now, i can tell you when i was 260 pounds (at 5'1) i was HAPPY but im a happy person. I was NOT happy with the way i looked, how my clothes felt, and the physical ramifications my weight were starting to have on me (sore hips and ankles, back aches, out of breath easy, etc).

70 pounds lighter (and more to go) and I am STILL HAPPY, and more importantly I FEEL better and my heath has improved a hundredfold! and i look better ;)

I know, right? Some People like to throw around that "you can't be fat and happy" stuff. If being dissatisfied with one aspect of your life automatically means unhappiness, who in the world would be happy?? Guess what, I don't have millions of dollars lying around and that sure would pick me right up. Does this mean I can't be happy? "I wish I were thinner", or "I would like to work on losing weight" shouldn't automatically mean unhappy. That's one thing I like about the show, they try to give them tools for dealing with their issues, so they can begin to see their self worth even at their starting weight
  • MelodyandBarbells
    edited September 2015
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I do love Extreme Weight Loss, but compared to Chris, Heidi can be um... a bit of a change of pace

The show is now one hour, rather than two. And it's gotten gimmicky: first three "Love Can't Weight" wedding-centric shows. Then a hoarder with Matt Paxton and Dr. Tobin, and an aspiring fashion designer with Tim Gunn. The only nutrition info is courtesy of Rocco DiSpirito. The latest episode had an infomercial segment for CamelBak Relay, where Kim told Chris & Heidi: "It fills at the speed of my faucet."

Hulu appears to have consolidated some of the episodes into two hours, anyway, and I'm so glad the Love Can't Weight stuff only appears to have lasted three episodes. I wonder if that was always the intent, or if they stopped because they essentially broke up that one couple!

To the other poster I'm too lazy to quote: I think Biggest Loser brought back some former contestants, and a recent episode showed that a prior EWL client had joined Chris' team. Not sure where the rest of the EWL clients might be. I'd be curious, too!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    A recent episode showed that a prior EWL client had joined Chris' team. Not sure where the rest of the EWL clients might be. I'd be curious, too!

Heidi Powell posts some "where they are nows" on her blog, but they're buried in the "inspiration" tag: http://heidipowell.net/category/blog/inspiration/