No FREAKING WONDER I WAS SKINNY!!!

Options
After my Dad passed this last week, :cry:
and we where going through all of the pictures that Mom has at her house.
I found a couple of me from when I was a teen.
:noway: Man I looked good. :love:
So I thought...
What was I doing then that I am NOT doing now.
I mean I did not work out with weights.
Then it hit me..
Each morning I walked to school 1 mile. (YES I LOOKED IT UP ON MAP QUEST.)
Each evening I walked home from school. 1 mile.
I was in flag corp. with the marching band. 1 to 2 miles 3 to 5 times a week. More if we where getting ready for a parade, or game.
Every 45 of the hour I got up and walked to another class we had 7 min worth of walking. We had to rush, Not to mention that I was carrying a ton of books because my locker was NO WHERE CLOSE TO ANY OF MY CLASSES! Also include in that Gym class, For me it was acrobatics.
My friend Joyce, (who is now my foster sister,) lived 1 mile away, and I waited to drive until I was
18 to 19 (Because everything was within walking distance.)
so I walked to and from her house most every day.
When I was not hanging out with her, and some times even when I was,
I was practicing flag corp. or acrobatics.
Then there was our small town, down town for us was a 1/2 mile to the entrance,
and 2 miles to the far side. I would walk there all the time.
(Our grocery store was there, along with a Wendy’s, the YMCA,
a pizza place, a record store, THE MAIN KID HANG OUT! and a 7-11...
they had the coolest clothing store there as well.)
I figured that in the course of a day, 7 days a week I was covering 5 to 7 miles.
Sometimes as many as 10.
I did not eat breakfast until I got to the school.
Which often was tea and sometimes a slice of toast with peanut butter on it.
More often then not it was the fruit bowl.
Lunch was ALWAYS a small salad, no dressing, because I could not STAND their dressing. :sick:
And I would NEVER touch the school lunch because :sick: Ooooooooo... Don't make me go there..
Then for dinner, what ever Mom made.
Sweets where almost non-existant at our house. And what was there was smaller then by todays standards.
AND we had a back yard garden that we where also expected to care for in the summer.
NO WONDER I WAS SKINNY!!!!!!!!! I was eating 1/3 to 1/2 the calories that I eat today, and walking everything I ate off! AND I had Teen metabolism.
Today, I seem to do a lot of sitting. Though I will admit that I HAVE added more walking in. Parking farther away from the office and taking the stairs.
Just a little FYI that I found interesting.
--Diann...

Replies

• diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    After my Dad passed this last week, :cry:
    and we where going through all of the pictures that Mom has at her house.
    I found a couple of me from when I was a teen.
    :noway: Man I looked good. :love:
    So I thought...
    What was I doing then that I am NOT doing now.
    I mean I did not work out with weights.
    Then it hit me..
    Each morning I walked to school 1 mile. (YES I LOOKED IT UP ON MAP QUEST.)
    Each evening I walked home from school. 1 mile.
    I was in flag corp. with the marching band. 1 to 2 miles 3 to 5 times a week. More if we where getting ready for a parade, or game.
    Every 45 of the hour I got up and walked to another class we had 7 min worth of walking. We had to rush, Not to mention that I was carrying a ton of books because my locker was NO WHERE CLOSE TO ANY OF MY CLASSES! Also include in that Gym class, For me it was acrobatics.
    My friend Joyce, (who is now my foster sister,) lived 1 mile away, and I waited to drive until I was
    18 to 19 (Because everything was within walking distance.)
    so I walked to and from her house most every day.
    When I was not hanging out with her, and some times even when I was,
    I was practicing flag corp. or acrobatics.
    Then there was our small town, down town for us was a 1/2 mile to the entrance,
    and 2 miles to the far side. I would walk there all the time.
    (Our grocery store was there, along with a Wendy’s, the YMCA,
    a pizza place, a record store, THE MAIN KID HANG OUT! and a 7-11...
    they had the coolest clothing store there as well.)
    I figured that in the course of a day, 7 days a week I was covering 5 to 7 miles.
    Sometimes as many as 10.
    I did not eat breakfast until I got to the school.
    Which often was tea and sometimes a slice of toast with peanut butter on it.
    More often then not it was the fruit bowl.
    Lunch was ALWAYS a small salad, no dressing, because I could not STAND their dressing. :sick:
    And I would NEVER touch the school lunch because :sick: Ooooooooo... Don't make me go there..
    Then for dinner, what ever Mom made.
    Sweets where almost non-existant at our house. And what was there was smaller then by todays standards.
    AND we had a back yard garden that we where also expected to care for in the summer.
    NO WONDER I WAS SKINNY!!!!!!!!! I was eating 1/3 to 1/2 the calories that I eat today, and walking everything I ate off! AND I had Teen metabolism.
    Today, I seem to do a lot of sitting. Though I will admit that I HAVE added more walking in. Parking farther away from the office and taking the stairs.
    Just a little FYI that I found interesting.
    --Diann...
  • Clover51
    Clover51 Posts: 37
    Options
    I think most of us has had a revalation like that...maybe not as dramatic though. I look at my old pictures and think wow!!!! But like you said we walked so much more then. I played softball so It was almost a constant in my life. Now we just have to find other ways to take us back to our "old self". Good Luck!

Sorry For your loss! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean...I've been trying to go back to my old lifestyle. I was big into cheerleading which was like high impact areobics for an hour a day, and am trying to eat like I did then too. Hopefully....we'll all get that high school body back:)
  • 2BHEALTHY
    2BHEALTHY Posts: 62
    Options
    SORRY FOR THE LOSS OF YOUR DAD.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your sympathies.
    My father was an interesting and funny man. He always had a good story, and was known to pull off a good prank here and there.
    He was always into Family and friends, So much so that we found it hard to find a picture of him without someone or something in the picture with him.
    My father died of Cancer, each day he seemed to get worse and worse.
    But he died in the home surrounded by love.
    However I know that even now, he is with us, watching over us. giving us little clues that he is in heaven and yet still here.
    :smile:
    --Diann...
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your dad.

Glad you're back.
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Your dad sounds like a wonderful man. I'm sorry for your loss. Be sure to spend extra time with your mom now if you can. She will need you.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your dad but it sounds like you have a great out look and I am sure he would be very proud of you.

I was the same way as a teen so I know what you mean about alot more active. Its amazing the things we see when we look back. Its nice to see you. :flowerforyou:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    thanks for the updates diann
    Glad to see you back:flowerforyou: