Finding BMR.

Options
So, I've used all the calculators I could find that try to determine your BMR and I get answers all across the board and I have no idea if I should average them or what, so I had an idea. I have a Polar FT4 with the chest strap and I was wondering that if I just wear it all day for a few days (having separate sessions for exercise), could I just average those days and find what my BMR is generally at? That way it includes any activity at my job, has my weight, height, age programmed in and it actually monitors my heart all day. Does anyone know if this would work or has anyone tried something similar?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If you're wanting to include activity, you're probably not wanting BMR. Are you really wanting TDEE, or...?
  • MichellePatte92
    MichellePatte92 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am getting the acronyms wrong. I, basically, just want to find out what I burn on a normal day without exercise. So I figured if I just wear the monitor during a normal day and have separate sessions for exercise, or just not exercise for a few days, can I find an average?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    If you're wanting to include activity, you're probably not wanting BMR. Are you really wanting TDEE, or...?

TDEE is just your BMR multiplied by an activity factor...

The most accurate calculation for BMR is the Katch-Mcardle equation, but you need to know your LBM. If you don't, it might be useful to find out.

Once you calculate that, multiply it by your activity factor, eat at those calories for one month, and based on your results you can recalibrate your TDEE number and know pretty accurately what your TDEE and BMR is.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    You're trying to calculate TDEE, not BMR.

All the calculators are population averages. The chances of it being perfectly spot on for any given individual are small. They are a starting point. To find your real TDEE, its trial and error.

Use any TDEE calculator or take an average from several if that makes you feel better. Then start eating at that level, being as accurate as possible with your logging and as consistent with your exercise as you can. Then after a month to 6 weeks, assess your progress. Are you losing at the rate you calculated you should? If not, adjust your calorie intake from there up or down to match the desired rate of loss.

It takes time and patience to figure out your actual TDEE.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Maybe I am getting the acronyms wrong. I, basically, just want to find out what I burn on a normal day without exercise. So I figured if I just wear the monitor during a normal day and have separate sessions for exercise, or just not exercise for a few days, can I find an average?

I don't think that is how Heart rate monitors works. I remember mine was tell me I burned over 3000 calories doing nothing in 24 hour window. That got trashed immediately.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

No, TDEE is what actually happens, not what a calculator says might happen. Now, a TDEE estimate...

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are for steady state cardio only. They can't accurately calculate your burn at rest. They aren't even accurate for cardio unless you calibrate them.

Whether it's BMR, NEAT, or TDEE you're trying to calculate, the only way to really know is trial and error as I described above.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

No, TDEE is what actually happens, not what a calculator says might happen. Now, a TDEE estimate...

?

It's still just your BMR multiplied by a factor. That factor changes depending on what actually happens. The goal is to figure out both of those numbers.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You're trying to calculate TDEE, not BMR.

All the calculators are population averages. The chances of it being perfectly spot on for any given individual are small. They are a starting point. To find your real TDEE, its trial and error.

Use any TDEE calculator or take an average from several if that makes you feel better. Then start eating at that level, being as accurate as possible with your logging and as consistent with your exercise as you can. Then after a month to 6 weeks, assess your progress. Are you losing at the rate you calculated you should? If not, adjust your calorie intake from there up or down to match the desired rate of loss.

It takes time and patience to figure out your actual TDEE.

agreed! I don't really know any of my exact numbers. I don't believe anything is 100% accurate but from logging my calories on here daily I know what numbers I lose, maintain, and gain using. And it changes depending on the season.(more active in summer) basically for me.... weight loss=1500/maintenance=1700/weight gain=>1800

• DeguelloTex
    Options

?

It's still just your BMR multiplied by a factor. That factor changes depending on what actually happens. The goal is to figure out both of those numbers.
    No, it isn't, unless someone is working backwards to find what "the factor" is in his particular case. I don't know or care what my "factor" is when figuring my TDEE. I have intake, output, and weight change. That's how I determine my TDEE. It's not based on a calculator or a generic activity factor. It's based on what happens to my body when I eat the food I actually eat and do the exercise I actually do.

Why, exactly, would I care what my BMR is in that scenario?

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Michellepatte92, I feel your pain. I wonder if there is a sticky somewhere with MFP common acronyms, their meanings, and or how to calculate them?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Michellepatte92, I feel your pain. I wonder if there is a sticky somewhere with MFP common acronyms, their meanings, and or how to calculate them?

I think @SideSteel made a thread about what you are asking.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177907/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

• galgenstrick
    Options

?

No, it isn't, unless someone is working backwards to find what "the factor" is in his particular case. I don't know or care what my "factor" is when figuring my TDEE. I have intake, output, and weight change. That's how I determine my TDEE. It's not based on a calculator or a generic activity factor. It's based on what happens to my body when I eat the food I actually eat and do the exercise I actually do.

That's what my whole post said, you need to work backwards to find your numbers but start with the equations. You're being nit picky about the way I worded it.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited July 2015
    Options

?

That's what my whole post said, you need to work backwards to find your numbers but start with the equations. You're being nit picky about the way I worded it.
    You said TDEE starts with BMR. I said I don't know and don't care what my BMR or activity factor is, but I know my TDEE. That's not nitpicking, that's an entirely different approach.

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177907/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

Thank you! Bookmarked.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

?

You said TDEE starts with BMR. I said I don't know and don't care what my BMR or activity factor is, but I know my TDEE. That's not nitpicking, that's an entirely different approach.

OP asked for BMR, so I gave an answer which included BMR and TDEE so OP knew the difference between the two.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

?

OP asked for BMR, so I gave an answer which included BMR and TDEE so OP knew the difference between the two.
    You quoted and responded to me about how to calculate TDEE, right? I'm not talking about what you said in a different conversation. I'm talking about what you said to me, and I'm saying that's not how I calculate TDEE because I don't know my BMR or activity factor. And, even if someone does try to calculate TDEE using the Katch-Mcardle, or any other, generic equation, it's still just an estimate that needs to be verified by actual results. I just start with the actual results and cut out the middleman.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

?

You quoted and responded to me about how to calculate TDEE, right? I'm not talking about what you said in a different conversation. I'm talking about what you said to me, and I'm saying that's not how I calculate TDEE because I don't know my BMR or activity factor. And, even if someone does try to calculate TDEE using the Katch-Mcardle, or any other, generic equation, it's still just an estimate that needs to be verified by actual results. I just start with the actual results and cut out the middleman.

Your way is perfectly fine for TDEE. Although OP asked for BMR, so my response was just relating the two because you made the assumption she wanted TDEE and not BMR. She might have actually wanted BMR. No big deal.